16-month-old with nasty diarrhea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-20-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Not that diarrhea is ever pleasant ... )

Spencer's been having some digestive upset for a couple of weeks or so. We've been giving him YoBaby every day, keeping up on water, going for a blander diet, etc. Last Thursday, it got gross. He had 6 or 7 dirty diapers that were at least 95% liquid. He seemed to be better on Friday, so DH and I went ahead and went camping with friends. (It was our first trip without DS since he was born!) My mom came to our house to take care of him, so he'd be in his own environment.

She called Satuday morning to tell me that he'd thrown up five times overnight and was really lethargic and not feeling like his normal self. They stayed home all day and he threw up once in the afternoon before going to sleep at 8:00. All day, all he ate was one YoBaby cup, a couple of graham crackers, and some plain chicken. She tried to give him generic Pedialyte, but he didn't like the flavor - even when she cut it 50/50 with water.

I called Sunday to see how he was, and my mom said it was like night and day. He was still having diarrhea, but had gotten his pep back.

He's still got horrid smelling diarrhea but no more vomiting. He feels better, but I can tell he's really tired. He's been awake for less than two hours, and he's already half asleep. (NAK)

So this is a really long OP asking for advice and home remedies. His ped has said that so long as he's eating and drinking and having wet diapers that there's nothing they can do for him. (How am I supposed to tell if the "wet" is from urine or liquid poo???) Can you help me make my baby boy feel better? TIA! (If you have a MySpace page, you can see his favorite scary face here.)

FWIW, breakfast was a waffle, some banana, some apple, and some watermelon. I also gave him a little bit of breakfast sausage since he wanted it really bad! :

Married 6/16/01 ~ WOHM to DS1 4/29/06 and DS2 2/13/08 ~  ALMOST an RVT ~ dog2.gif dog2.gif goldfish.gif

#2 of 9 Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM

We've always been told to stick to the BRAT diet -- bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. I'd do that for 3-4 days.

Is the diarrhea black or green and frothy or slimy? Are you sure it's not Rotavirus?
#3 of 9 Old 08-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned

Avarie, It sounds like an intestinal bug and they are all essentially treated the same way, with the exception of a parasitic infection. Keep up the fluids, Becoming had a good suggestion and if there is no resolution of the diarrhea, or the condition worsens then you will want to consider testing for parasites and/or hepatitis A. A bacterial and/or viral infection will normally resolve in days (there is a wide range) providing there are no underlying conditions.

SM
#4 of 9 Old 08-20-2007, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

The color varies, but it has been green and slimy. Could that be indicative of rotavirus? His ped never mentioned that.

I guess we're going to have to get more restrictive of his diet. He's gonna hate it - this boy LOVES meat

Married 6/16/01 ~ WOHM to DS1 4/29/06 and DS2 2/13/08 ~  ALMOST an RVT ~ dog2.gif dog2.gif goldfish.gif

#5 of 9 Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 PM

Rotavirus is a long lasting yucky but common bug in kids.
But green can be C. Diff--that one is also stinky and more serious and not as common at all (has he been in a hospital even to visit? on antibiotics? Otherwise I would imagine it isn't that).
Is the green gone? Green can also just indicate that things moved so fast that bile couldn't act on the stool. So it isn't uncommon in diarrhea.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 AM

When my oldest had Rotavirus as a baby, his poo was very, very slimy (think: something out of the Ghostbusters movie) and very dark green, almost black.
#7 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

No one in the family has been in a hospital - even for a visit - in over a year. The only time he's ever been on antibiotics was for a double ear infection (plus double pink eye!) back in January.

The smell is enough to gag a maggot. It smells sick and infected, now that you mention it - it's got that odor that an infected would would have. Yesterday morning I thought I was going to throw up while changing his diaper. He's not quite done eating breakfast, so I'm going to wait until then to change him.

What's the "full" name of C. Diff?

#8 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

Avarie, Clostridium difficile is the full organism name. There is only one way to know and that is culture the stool. Most intestinal pathogens are self-resolving, keep up those fluids. As long as your baby is behaving normally otherwise, try not to worry too much. If this persists, please seek medical attention and of course, practise good hygiene and don't 'share the wealth' with others.

SM
#9 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

That diaper made me lose my breakfast – no joking, no exaggerating. It was down his legs, up the front, up the back – all over. So I took him straight into the bathroom. I only got his pants off before I was over the toilet. I hosed him off and washed him down with some hand soap and wiped him with a ton of baby wipes and his skin STILL smells like that. I’ve got his clothes, changing pad, and towel in the washer with hot water and some bleach. The high chair (since he was eating breakfast when he blew), trash can, and diaper pail are all in the bathroom, liberally sprayed with disinfectant (along with the sink where I dumped his clothes). I am going to call his pediatrician, because that just ain’t right!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page