Expired medicine *Update* - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I feel badly enough about not watching DS carefully in the shower that allowed the accident to happen. I feel badly that I didn't have pain meds to give him. I feel badly that I didn't take him in right away, but as I stated I did not think his arm was broken. So it doesn't help to come here and see posts saying, "I'm glad you finally took him."

Yeah, it's been a very stressful and tiring 48 hours and maybe I'm a bit sensitive so please no one else indicate that I made an error in judgement. I know I did. I don't need it pointed out to me right now.
I haven't had your stress filled 48 hours and the "finally" still rubbed me the wrong way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

It was a judgment call that could have gone either way. Since you had the x-ray, you know which way it went. I am a little surprised you don't have x-ray vision though, I thought all mothers had that.

I hope your DS heals quickly.
#33 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:50 PM

The "finally" is definitely over the top. And no, they don't "not splint" things b/c people "waited too long" to come in. Unless "too long" is, say, a month or something. But evening vs. the next morning, for a child who's in no acute distress, no open wound, minimal/no deformity? I wouldn't have taken him until morning either, and I *work* in the ER. Even if I strongly suspected it was a mild fracture as described!

So get off of this mama's back, she did fine. And KH - you did fine! Don't beat yourself up! I had the exact same fracture when I was ten, and my mother (the pediatrician) told me it wasn't broken, and only took me in because I kept asking her to. Seriously. It's a minor break, and you did just fine.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#34 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:51 PM

I've broken my arm and I don't think you made an error in judgment, fwiw. Hang in there.
#35 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM

Sending quick healing vibes your way for your DS. And some calm stress-free moments for you, too, momma. Don't beat yourself up about not taking him straight to the emergency room - I think I would have made the same choices as you, based on everything.
#36 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:58 PM

Sorry you felt attacked, I hear ya on that. I know it's hard to tell exactly what's going on and you don't want to overreact, either. I'm glad it's taken care of and I hope your LO is feeling better.
#37 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 01:11 PM

Quick healing vibes to your little guy! You did a great job! Don't feel bad at all.
#38 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 01:13 PM

I too was one of those momma's who waited to take my son to the dr. 24 yrs actually. He fell one morning off the bottom step onto his elbow he cried / stopped and went on with his day. Napped and slept all night the next morning he wouldnt raise his arm to get his jammies off. I called the doc got an appt in the after noon. sure enough his colar bone was broken. I felt really bad but he truely didnt act hurt until much later in the day:
Hugs and hope your little one is feeling better.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#39 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 PM

12 hrs - especially when it happened at night and there were no obvious signs - is fast!!

s for all of you!!! Ana just asked me a few minutes ago when you guys are coming over to swim... /
I told her what happened, she said she had to get off the phone to go make a card for Kyle and asked if we can get some balloons for him tonight
#40 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you. It can be difficult to know when you need to seek medical care.

So to the mamas who made the comment of me "finally" taking him to see a Dr...get off my back. Would I have taken him in right away if I *knew* his arm was broken? Yes. However, I didn't and really didn't have any good indication that it was broken and not just sprained or sore from falling. Even the Pedi did not think it was broken when he saw it. He was surprised the x-ray showed that it was. I didn't want to rush to the ER at night, by myself with two tired cranky kids, and spend the ER co-pay if it wasn't nescessary. As it turns out that proably would have worked out better, but hindsight is 20/20.

I feel badly enough about not watching DS carefully in the shower that allowed the accident to happen. I feel badly that I didn't have pain meds to give him. I feel badly that I didn't take him in right away, but as I stated I did not think his arm was broken. So it doesn't help to come here and see posts saying, "I'm glad you finally took him."

Yeah, it's been a very stressful and tiring 48 hours and maybe I'm a bit sensitive so please no one else indicate that I made an error in judgement. I know I did. I don't need it pointed out to me right now.
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this, too. It is so hard to tell with broken bones, especially in children who are so resilient and so much stronger than you would ever expect! When my boyfriend broke his wrist we waited over 24 hours to go in - it seemed like the right thing to do, rather than clogging up the ER over Christmas eve/Christmas day, especially since we didn't think it was broken. No harm done in waiting 24 hours for a break like this

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#41 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 04:34 PM
FMT

Wow. Glad she "finally" took him in?

What a horrible response to a mama going through sheer heck.
#42 of 46 Old 08-23-2007, 10:09 AM

I'm glad that Mr.K is taking things like a champ. I've had events that resulted in Seamus favoring one arm and indicating that it hurt and I've not gone to the doc with the result of it being entirely gone and forgotten by morning.

You 100% did the right thing.

Maybe Mr.K will slow down. now. . .. yeah, no that's not going to happen. When I told DH your story I said "I sure hope I never have to deal with broken bones". Promptly Seamus started throwing his body around the couch--you know how he does & DH said "No way. That kid is breaking some bones."

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#43 of 46 Old 08-23-2007, 10:28 AM

Aw,

Buckle fractures do not look like regular fractures. As I said earlier - my DS1 could still do certain things. It took me all day to decide to bring him in - we got in at the last appt time of the day and I really thought I was being over-cautious. Sigh.

When DD broke her arm, I even had her lay on the couch for 20 minutes or so b/c she is so prone to over-reacting. When we knew for sure that she wasn't over-reacting (poor thing had a concussion too which we figured out on the way to the hospital) we high-tailed it in. But with a regular fracture/dislocation we caught it much faster - it was totally different. It *looked* broken - her arm was a weird shape, which I hadn't seen right at first. It was nothing like DS1's arm - her forearm was U-shaped whereas DS1's arm was normal looking and still half-working.

Each situation/child is so different that we make the best calls we can at the time. You did make a perfectly good call - most likely the next day you were better able to deal with having two kids with you. It's unfortunate that it took so long out of your day but at least it's all taken care of.

Sending lots of healing vibes to your DS! Hopefully it's starting to feel better already!

#44 of 46 Old 08-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Sorry your ds is in pain. I have two similar stories regarding ER doctors waiting when not knowing if the bone is broken.

My ds broke his collar bone a while ago. We did take him in that evening (after 4 or 5 hours). The ER doc thought (based on inspection) that it wasn't broken and said we could either have the x-ray but we could just as well wait, and if it was broken it would continue to bother him and we would go back. 24 hours later we were back and it was broken.

The kid of a friend of mine whose dh is an er doc fell out of bed. His dad didn't think his arm was broken and waited for a couple of days, I think, to take him for an x-ray. It was broken, but all fine in the end of course.

So don't feel bad! A doctor wouldn't necessarily have done any different.
#45 of 46 Old 08-23-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Another update. We saw an orthopedist today and his arm was out in a cast. He only needs to wear the cast for 3 weeks. Because he is so young his bones will "remold" themselves and be just as before.
#46 of 46 Old 08-23-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I really don't think you did. We can't rush our kids to the ER every time they fall down; we can't over-protect them so much that they never fall. Kids break bones because they have to live like kids in order to grow right - it's okay. I think it's perfectly reasonable to watch and wait, and he'll be just fine. Good luck to him for fast healing, and not too much itching under his cast!

hapersmion

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page