Expired medicine *Update* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm posting here to get some answers faster.

DS (3 yrs) fell and hurt his wrist. I don't think it's broken as there is no swelling or redness and he can move it if I ask him to. However, he is favoring that arm/hand. That is not normal for him. Usually, he gets over getting hurt quickly. He shakes it off and keeps on going. Not this time. He fell asleep shortly after the injury but he keeps waking up whining and crying. In his half sleep state he's rubbing his wrist and hand. I asked him a few times what was wrong and he said he has a hurt on his hand.

DH is out of town (of course) so I don't want to go to the urgent care when there is no swelling and it's not obviously broken. If he is still complaining about it tomorrow I'll take him to the pedi. In the mean time I was going to give him medicine to help him sleep. Now, here comes the sign that I almost never give my kids medicine. I have three containers of pain reliever for children and they are all expired....2005. Again, DH is out of town so to get more medicine I'd have to load both kids into the van and drive to the pharmacy.

Should I use the expired medicine or see if he can get by without it? Sigh, he's up again and crying.
#2 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 01:57 AM

Expired medicine isn't bad per se. It just won't work as well and loses it's potency. So you may as well not give him anything at all. Your poor little guy. I hope it's nothing too serious and that his pain subsides.
#3 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

He's sleeping in 10-15 minute increments. I wonder if I have some arnica somewhere....
#4 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 02:06 AM

If it were me, I'd give the medicine.
It's probably still fine.
I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on t.v. :

DS 6 DD 8
#5 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 02:09 AM

Just an fyi, my ds1 fell out of a shopping cart (skirted the seatbelt when I turned around to grab a can) and just seemed to favor his arm, there was no bruising, no swelling, just some tears and not wanting to move that arm, and he'd broken his collar bone (I ignored my dad's advice to ignore him and took him immediately to the ER)...just because you think he's ok, his bones might tell a different story - a hairline fracture or something. Definitely take him in ASAP.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#6 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 02:16 AM

It's not toxic (assuming you're talking acetaminophen or ibuprofen) and may not work quite as well, but it's worth a try. And I agree, take him in in the AM - kids have growth plate fractures at that spot pretty often, with no symptoms/signs other than favoring the arm.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#7 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I will take him in the morning. This is not normal behavior for him. I've been considering that he may have a small fracture or it could just be a sprain. From what I've read in my two books about fractures it should be ok to wait until morning as there is no puncture wound, no swelling, or redness.
#8 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 02:28 AM

I agree, give him the medicine... I hope he feels better soon!
#9 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 02:32 AM

My DD broke her arm (both radius and ulna) about 1" up from the wrist at age 3. (Fell off the monkey bars.) Anyway, she didn't get swelling, bruising, anything. She just favored. I did call the ped right away, they told me to bring her in the next day if she still favored it, which she did. They did an XRay and it was broken. The cast was basically a splint which she layed her arm on and I wrapped with an ace bandage and covered with a cut-open sock to keep it all clean.

Keep in mind that you have to read the dosing very carefully - http://www.ismp.org/newsletters/acut...s/20020807.asp
And they are still potent if the sugar hasn't broken down in the liquid -
http://www.medicalletter.com/html/pr_110402a.htm
#10 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for those links. I happen to have chewable children's advil (ibuprofen) so solid form which seems to hold potency longer. Off to bed now...
#11 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
Just an fyi, my ds1 fell out of a shopping cart (skirted the seatbelt when I turned around to grab a can) and just seemed to favor his arm, there was no bruising, no swelling, just some tears and not wanting to move that arm, and he'd broken his collar bone (I ignored my dad's advice to ignore him and took him immediately to the ER)...just because you think he's ok, his bones might tell a different story - a hairline fracture or something. Definitely take him in ASAP.

Yeah, that. Or something could have gotten dislocated (we've had a few dislocations here ... and they hurt somethin' awful. : )

Hope he feels better soon ...
#12 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 05:39 PM

give us an update when you can!

hope hes feeling better
#13 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
My boyfriend fell skiing and we thought it was a bad sprain (could move fingers, hand, arm, etc) but it turns out it was a break, just a hairline one but if he hadn't had it casted it could have healed incorrectly and he would have lost some range of motion in his wrist. I'd take him in for an x-ray, but probably would not wait in the ER for it - just go to a regular dr the next day.

Expired pain relievers - won't *harm* him (ie won't make him sick) but might not be effective.

MTA: Just saw that this was posted last night - I hope he's doing better today!

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#14 of 46 Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 PM

I've been thinking about your little guy - how's he doing today?

Just wondering b/c we once had a broken bone here that did not look like one at all - DS1 could still flip the light switch, pick up food etc.... but just could not put any weight on it at all.

Thinking of you guys.
#15 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

This is the first time I've gotten a chance to get online today. We've been in waiting rooms all day. Yes, he broke it. He broke both bones in his forearm right at the wrist. They called it a buckle break in each bone. It was a very long day. Started with a visit to our normal pedi, then to the diagnostic clinic for x-rays, and then to the ER to have his arm splinted. All that took from 9am to 5pm all day.

So we have it splinted and I have to try and get him to an orthopedic pediatrician. Hopefully, I'll get him in tomorrw. My pedi called three different orthopedics and none of them were available any time soon. :

On that note I do now have pain med for him that is not expired.
#16 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 AM

Poor little guy. I'm glad you finally took him in.
#17 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 AM

I've been told by Drs that for most medicines it's fine and it's definately fine for regular pain relievers. I've taken expired medicine before, it's always worked, but it's not my first choice. I'd give it without worry.
#18 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:20 AM

I've worked in many a pharmacy, and every exp date we put on the bottle was one year from the date we dispensed it. Read into that what you'd like.

As far as OTCs, like the pp said, it probably isn't dangerous, just possibly less potent.

love.gif

#19 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 AM

I'm glad you finally took him. When you described it, it did sound like it was broken. I'm glad that they were able to still splint it. Sometimes, if you wait too long, they don't splint it. I hope he's feeling better and not in any pain.
#20 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
I'm glad you finally took him. When you described it, it did sound like it was broken. I'm glad that they were able to still splint it. Sometimes, if you wait too long, they don't splint it. I hope he's feeling better and not in any pain.
Well, I had him in a Dr's office exactly 12 hours after he fell. They did not get around to splinting it until 7 hours later.
#21 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 AM

ouch! hope he's all healed soon!
#22 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
This is the first time I've gotten a chance to get online today. We've been in waiting rooms all day. Yes, he broke it. He broke both bones in his forearm right at the wrist. They called it a buckle break in each bone. It was a very long day. Started with a visit to our normal pedi, then to the diagnostic clinic for x-rays, and then to the ER to have his arm splinted. All that took from 9am to 5pm all day.

So we have it splinted and I have to try and get him to an orthopedic pediatrician. Hopefully, I'll get him in tomorrw. My pedi called three different orthopedics and none of them were available any time soon. :

On that note I do now have pain med for him that is not expired.
Aw, poor little guy and poor mama! Buckle break is exactly what DS1 had too. Luckily, they heal fast.

#23 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 01:36 AM

I have read that expired Acetaminophen can be very toxic to a child's liver. I will check this and find a reliable resource when I haven't been awake for 17 hours.

-Laura
#24 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supakitty View Post
I have read that expired Acetaminophen can be very toxic to a child's liver. I will check this and find a reliable resource when I haven't been awake for 17 hours.

-Laura
I have googled this three different ways and found no sources that mentioned that expired tylenol was more dangerous for a child - any chance you remember where you read this, I have always wondered about using expired tylenol. I have been known to take expired tylenol when desperate and didn't notice any adverse affects. (Just wondering cause I would definitely stop the practice if this was the case!!!)
#25 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 02:37 AM

Oh Emm Gee, I feel for him, poor little feller, I feel for you too mama, how exhausting... you both need rest I am sure, the Dr, ER thing sucks, sorry all of that happend. HUGS

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.
#26 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supakitty View Post

-Laura
Expired Tylenol...Tylenol in general is awful for ones liver, adult or child. I don't take it at all and the only time DD takes it is if I cannot get a fever to break. I'm working on DH to get it out of our house totally.

Jenn
#27 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 09:02 AM

Aww poor little guy and poor mama.

When I was 9 I fell on the playground and the school nurse sent me home on the bus. My mom didn't see that much swelling and sent me to school the next morning. The sub nurse(different from the day before) called my mom who in turn took me to the doctor, who sent me to get x-rays, who sent me to get it casted. It happens As a parent it is so hard to tell the dramatics from the real stuff. It's hard to know how badly it hurts when you can't feel the pain and you see no outside indications that it is damaged.
#28 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM

poor little guy ... i hope you can get him in somewhere really soon ... i sent you a PM
#29 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 10:23 AM

Ouch. Poor kid. Hope he heals quickly.
I'm glad to hear you have some up-to-date pain meds now.

DS 6 DD 8
#30 of 46 Old 08-22-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsmommy View Post
As a parent it is so hard to tell the dramatics from the real stuff. It's hard to know how badly it hurts when you can't feel the pain and you see no outside indications that it is damaged.
Thank you. It can be difficult to know when you need to seek medical care.

So to the mamas who made the comment of me "finally" taking him to see a Dr...get off my back. Would I have taken him in right away if I *knew* his arm was broken? Yes. However, I didn't and really didn't have any good indication that it was broken and not just sprained or sore from falling. Even the Pedi did not think it was broken when he saw it. He was surprised the x-ray showed that it was. I didn't want to rush to the ER at night, by myself with two tired cranky kids, and spend the ER co-pay if it wasn't nescessary. As it turns out that proably would have worked out better, but hindsight is 20/20.

I feel badly enough about not watching DS carefully in the shower that allowed the accident to happen. I feel badly that I didn't have pain meds to give him. I feel badly that I didn't take him in right away, but as I stated I did not think his arm was broken. So it doesn't help to come here and see posts saying, "I'm glad you finally took him."

Yeah, it's been a very stressful and tiring 48 hours and maybe I'm a bit sensitive so please no one else indicate that I made an error in judgement. I know I did. I don't need it pointed out to me right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page