Antibiotics for strep throat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pretty sure I have strep throat. It just started last night. Currently I have a 101 fever, body aches, right tonsil is only slight swollen, but is very painful (left is fine) & I have just a general disoriented feeling that goes along with the body aches & fever.

However I really hate going to the Dr. Don't get me wrong I will if I need to, but I don't want to. For strep should I go to the dr & get the antibiotics or is there something else I can/should do. I am gargleing w/ salt water & licorice tinture, loading up on vit c, ech & takeing zinc. I also just took a dose of homeopathic BellaDonna. I also have taken some Grapefruit seed extract, but I don't know how much I should take.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 03:52 PM

I used to get strep throat EVERY YEAR! For like 10 years, I would get strep throat EVERY spring. The first couple of times I went to the dr. The gave me several different meds. One time I got cephalexin. Another time bioxxin. Another time Kephalexin. One time it was so bad I had to get a shot in the butt. After that whenever I would notice the symptoms coming on, I would immediatly start to treat myself. I overdose on orange juice, take loads of SA, AND GET MORE REST THAN I CAN STAND. The trick for me was to sleep as much as I possibley could. Being as I would have such terrible body aches and pains, it felf good to rest in bed. Oh yeah, sucking/chewing on ice chips to stay hydrated helped me tons, too!

Take Care!

Part-Time WOHM/Full-Time WAHM to 2 little sweeties PEANUT(2yo) & BUGS(8mos)
Check out my Homepage!:
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM

Honestly, if you think you have strep, don't dither around. By all means support your immune system with the kind of stuff the PP mentioned, but get yourself tested.

I normally don't dig the antibiotics either, but this is the exception. I only say this because I had a family friend who died due to an untreated strep infection that spread to his heart.

I don't want to alarm you, but it can happen.

Come ponder with me about food!

User Tag List