17 month old with REALLY bad breath - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-28-2007, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just today my 17 month old started having really bad breath. Like the halitosis or something like that. I've known a few adults with this smelling breath but never a baby. What could be causing it?? :

I'm very sensitive to the smell and she doesn't even have to breath on me. Just stand by me and babble and I can smell it.

Anyone?

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#2 of 18 Old 08-28-2007, 01:37 AM

Any other symptoms? Could be strep, but unlikely with no other symptoms.

-Angela
#3 of 18 Old 08-28-2007, 01:46 AM

sinus infection? post nasal drip?

is she just getting over a cold, or does she have seasonal allergies?
#4 of 18 Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 AM

ive heard cavitys can cause bad breath, and thrush suposedly does to (dont know from experience).
#5 of 18 Old 08-28-2007, 01:58 AM

Is it coming from her mouth or her stomach?
#6 of 18 Old 08-28-2007, 02:02 AM

I was thinking cavities as well.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#7 of 18 Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 PM

Just a thought but the first time I gave dd really garlicky soup her breath was so strong it surprised me. Not bad, just really strong and different since I was so used to her baby breath.

If it hasn't gone away though I would suspect an infection or cold, or else cavities as others have said.
#8 of 18 Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Now I'm really confused. DD 2 has the same smelling breath. I noticed it two days ago and then not yesterday. This morning I smell it again. DD3 still has it.

No garlic, no sinus infection, no colds, no allergies, no cavities in the 4 y/o she was just at dentist, no symptoms of strep. No sign of thrush that I can see, what should I look for?

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#9 of 18 Old 08-28-2007, 02:10 PM

my kids get what i call "sick breath" ...ie: STANKY...when they have tonsilitis. they may or may not have a temp with it.
#10 of 18 Old 08-29-2007, 12:02 AM

my son gets stinky breath when we've been eating a lot of sugar. (well, a lot of sugar for us...)

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#11 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

A thought did occur to me... could it be Rosemary and Olive oil Triscuits? Yes we had been on vacation and they'd had a lot more sugar than they ever have at home.

It seems to be gone now...thankfully.

#12 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 PM

when my son has stinky breath, I always find he has some food stuck in his teeth that isn't coming out with the toothbrush. I have these flosser things I use to floss his teeth and that usually fixes it up immediately. I actually floss his teeth often, and you would be surprised what a toothbrushing misses.
#13 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbal View Post
when my son has stinky breath, I always find he has some food stuck in his teeth that isn't coming out with the toothbrush. I have these flosser things I use to floss his teeth and that usually fixes it up immediately. I actually floss his teeth often, and you would be surprised what a toothbrushing misses.
They won't even let me brush their teeth, much less floss! They like to bruch their teeth themselves.

#14 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 11:42 PM

well then, that explains it right there! Seriously, babies, toddlers and even older children need real help brushing their teeth. Flossing isn't bad either, in fact it's really good for their teeth. There are a million ways to get children to cooperate with teeth brushing, I know because I have had to use many of them! Games, songs, whatever it takes, you have to do it somehow to get their cooperation in order to care for their teeth.
#15 of 18 Old 08-31-2007, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

We all brush at least once usually more, none of us floss. Flossing makes my skin crawl. Our oldest is almost 7 and only flossed a few times after the dentist gave her the usual floss/brush/and sticker routine. She has no cavities, neither does the 4 y/o. I'm 28, and my husband is almost 28, neither of us have developed any cavities in almost 10 years, not even the beginings of one.

Trust me, games/songs/bribery/you name it my 17 month old won't let me put anything in her mouth. I watch her when she "brushes" well chews on the toothbrush anyway but if I touch it she will clamp her mouth shut like fort knox. Probably comes from all the medication she took as a newborn and infant.

#16 of 18 Old 08-31-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
She has no cavities, neither does the 4 y/o. I'm 28, and my husband is almost 28, neither of us have developed any cavities in almost 10 years, not even the beginings of one.
yeah, well you are young and flossing isn't about cavities so much. My dental hygienist says "don't floss the teeth you don't want to keep" As in, if you don't floss them, you will lose them, and she is dead right. Oh well, more power to you, I can't let my kids inadequate tooth brushing suffice.
#17 of 18 Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM

On the topic of flossing, I myself just started. I'm in my 40's and have always just hated how it felt. What made me start? It wasn't the hygentist lecturing to me, no. It was a dear friend (also a non-flosser) who just had his gums cut and scraped (wish I knew what the procedure was called) to address the results of his not flossing for years. Just hearing about it scared me. No way I want to go through that.
#18 of 18 Old 08-31-2007, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
On the topic of flossing, I myself just started. I'm in my 40's and have always just hated how it felt. What made me start? It wasn't the hygentist lecturing to me, no. It was a dear friend (also a non-flosser) who just had his gums cut and scraped (wish I knew what the procedure was called) to address the results of his not flossing for years. Just hearing about it scared me. No way I want to go through that.
Now that sounds very unpleasant. Unpleasant enough to make me consider working on my oral aversion to flossing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page