Antibiotics, when to give probiotics and how to treat the rash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-05-2007, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is on a 10-day course of amoxicillin for an ear infection, we're in to day 5. I've been giving him probiotics several hours after his daytime dose as well as lacto-fermented carrots once or twice a day (nothing after his evening dose right before bed). When is the best time to give probiotics and how often?

He's also got the antibiotic diarrhea, a raw rash with some weeping in his crack, and what looks to be yeast. I've been putting Burt's Bees baby balm on and also just started nystatin powder for the yeast. Is there something better that I should be using to protect his poor little bottom? I'm really trying to keep this under control and minimize the damage from the antibiotics but I'm not sure I'm doing a very good job.
#2 of 7 Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 PM

Ugh I'm so sorry. Your post brings back many memories of Nitara's babyhood. I gave probiotics along with the antibiotics and it seemed to help the diarrhea somewhat. If you think there's yeast going on some yeast cream might not hurt. I used Bourdeux's Butt Paste and that seemed to help a lot. So did airing out, as much as was practical. I also would switch to sposies sometimes because it would soak up the moisture of the poo if i didn't realize she went right away. To clean him off, spritz his bottom with baby oil or some kind of oil and then gently wipe. The oil somehow gets the poo off much more easily.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 7 Old 09-06-2007, 12:35 AM

Oh it's awful I know. What I did was probiotics a few hours after every dose--so that would have included in the night for us. What probiotic are you using? I did culturelle because I know it colonizes and you can get it easily at least in the US. You probably know but keep it up after he's done too for at least two weeks. And I did the nystatin on the bum to get it gone and then coconut oil to keep it away. I also switch to sposies for stuff like that as my son heals better without any moisture. Candex can help with yeast.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 7 Old 09-06-2007, 12:24 PM

You might consider Florastor while on the antibiotic and then switch to Culturelle or another bacteria-based probiotic after he finishes the Amoxicillin for at least 2 weeks. Florastor is a yeast based probiotic which isn't killed off by the antibiotic. There is a powdered kids formula which can be sprinkled on soft foods or put in liquids. One packet twice a day should suffice.

For the diaper rash. Make a probiotic paste with water and apply to the area a few times a day. Also like the previous post said, LOTS of nakey time. I usually line the crib with towels and let them nap/sleep au naturale. Sometimes makes for alot of laundry and cleanup but very helpful.
#5 of 7 Old 09-06-2007, 03:33 PM

I thought florastor was killed by antibiotics? I like that one too in these cases but it is hard to get around here--do you get it locallly? I have to order online. But yes that would be good to get but use something effective in the meanwhile.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 7 Old 09-06-2007, 05:04 PM

If you are in the states you should be able to walk into any local pharmacy and ask them to special order it for you if they don't stock it on the shelves.
And no, Florastor isn't killed off by antibiotics because it is a yeast. Antibiotics don't kill yeast. That's why people get yeast infections when they are on a course of antibiotics because the antibiotic kills off the good bacteria, but leaves the yeast to grow out of check.
#7 of 7 Old 09-08-2007, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

I'll have to remember the Florastor for next time (although I really hope we won't have a next time). Thanks for all the suggestions. I switched to sposies pretty quickly because I ran out of covers too fast Tried some nakie time today, I hate it when he crawls through a puddle though. I have B. infantis and Udo's probiotics on hand so I've been giving him that, along with cultured carrots and will probably continue for quite a while. I wish he could handle dairy, I'd give him some yogurt and kefir.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page