HTG - Healing the Gut September/October 07 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 254 Old 09-15-2007, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone break down exactly what candida treatment looks like? I see you all posting about something called "die off" and I am curious about what that is-symptoms....and it seems like die off would be a possitive thing,. right? Meaning you are getting it under control?

How exactly do you get it under control? How do you know when it is under control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 254 Old 09-15-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Die-off:
If your gut is full of bad bacteria and yeast, and you want to replace it with good bacteria, the bad has to go somewhere. The bad bacteria have toxins and other bad stuff in them, and as they die, the toxins are released into your body. Your body then needs to get rid of them. Just like when you get sick, you feel gross because your body is fighting and clearing out the virus, not because of the virus itself (that's why you can be contagious before you have symptoms), the die-off can make you feel gross and give you all sorts of new symptoms. But then when they're gone you start to feel a lot better.

so yeah, die-off is a step in the right direction, meaning you're getting it under control. But depending on how aggressive you're being, it can make you feel a whole lot worse than before you started.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#63 of 254 Old 09-15-2007, 03:44 PM

Could I possibly have a candida issue if I have NO digestive problems? I am not constipated, diahrea, nothing. I have a yeast infection right now but its a very rare occasion. (Mabye once a year or less)

I have the depressive and fatigue symptoms and those are the ones I want to get rid of....

How do you know when you have it? I need to dig in poop dont I.....ugh: Can I pay a doctor to dig in the poop for me?

Jenny
#64 of 254 Old 09-15-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
even just plain ol' epsom salts in the bath are super for detox and for boosting a number of biochemical pathways.
In Digestive Wellness for Children she suggests baths with 1/2 cup epsom salts and 1/2 cup baking soda (because its alkalizing) and this is what we do for our DD. Really seems to help. She used to complain epsom salts made her skin sting (back when it was all broken) but I found if I added it to her bathwater without her knowing the problem solved itself :

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#65 of 254 Old 09-15-2007, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, you can have a yeast and/or bacteria problem without digestive symptoms. And on closer inspection, you might be non-normal in ways you didn't even think about. I think there are a variety of theories/ways to get rid of candida. the one I've heard of is ZERO carbs. no sugar, no grains, no fruit. preferably no veggies, even, but that's not particularly healthy. www.naturallythriving.com outlines one candida treatment plan, and has a pretty comprehensive list of symptoms.

the thing is, a lot of the yeast symptoms are similar to the bad bacteria symptoms in that they are just symptoms of your digestion not working like it should.

before you go and dig in poop , i'd look into eating more traditional foods, and make sure you're eating plenty of good bacteria. that can make a HUGE difference compared to the SAD (standard american diet), and i've had at least a couple people say that eating traditional foods did more for them, healing-wise than the SCD or a candida diet.

#66 of 254 Old 09-15-2007, 04:22 PM

thx 4 the website.
#67 of 254 Old 09-15-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
newcastlemama and applezz - are either of you doing the intro and/or stages? I've started without them (today's my day 2 and a half - the first day was a test run) but am thinking about just getting the book and doing the whole shebang even though my own symptoms aren't really obvious. My reasoning is that first, it should jump start everything which should lead to faster results, and second, it i don't notice changes, i don't want to have the 'what ifs' and uncertainty that maybe i did it wrong or it's just too slow and gradual.
I don't have noticable digestive problems besides many food allergies. So I loosly did the 2 day intro and then atrting eating the other stuff (not beans though). I chose this diet because it seemed like a good fit for me. I am still concentrating on bone broths and ferments for healing along wth digestive enzymes.

I even had raw 24 yogurt and I am barely noticing any symptoms! Before I would have had bad BMs the same day as well as aching ears and body with in a few days. So, IMO, I have made progress just over the last year of generally avoiding my sensitive foods, taking enzymes, and doing TF. I am still just going to do yogurt every few days (instead of everyday) as to not overwhelm my system. I also tried eggs and had the same result I am very excited.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#68 of 254 Old 09-15-2007, 05:21 PM

this is the diet I am following . . .

http://www.purplesagecenter.com/print/dietary.pdf

at my doctors suggestion.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#69 of 254 Old 09-15-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applezz View Post
Newcastle be delighted to be your pal on this trip. I too am a big believer in thinking positive. I am a hypnotist by trade, and I know first hand the mind can do amazing things when taught how.

Looking forward to chatting with you all more.

Applezz
I am a serious beliver in postive thinking and affirmations after this past week. I really think the stress of negativity was hurting my body. I am working on some pregnancy and birth affirmations right now. Now I know what the Bible means when it talks about the renewing of the mind..it is amazing.

About cravings/hunger--I am 18 weeks pregnant and kind of feel like my tummy is being smahed in there so I feel very full eating a normal sized meal. I generally eat things like meaty bone broth stews and a glass of grape water kefir for dinner. I use fat liberally which is why I think my cravings and appetite stay under control. I also focus on animal products first since I think they are best for baby development. The SC diet also is not that far off of how I have been eating so I was not hard to transition. For a craving I have been really into fresh fruit just like my last pregnancy. (I don't think cravings are bad as long as they are for whole foods. They can be used to direct your body to what it needs).

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#70 of 254 Old 09-16-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

When I reintroduced wheat to dd, it took about 36 hours for a reaction. I had a spoonful of 24 hour raw milk yogurt 48 hours ago, and so far, no obvious reaction!! oh man, if I can have yogurt, I'm so excited!

#71 of 254 Old 09-16-2007, 07:15 PM

Hello all

Ok I have a bad memory, but someone posted about breakfast....

The almond bread is good ( but keep it in the fridge, or it will go bad in a few days (learned that this week!) I have an egg about 2 mornings a week, sometimes I scramble it, or make an omlet. My current breakfast of choice is yogurt with 1/4 cup of freshly ground flaxseed in it. If you stir it in and leave it sit for a few minutes it thickens up, and is almost like a fruity oatmeal. I really like it, and I stay full all morning.

Newcastle, WOOO HOOO on being pregnant ( my sister is also 18w pg). Yes one of the things I am telling myself daily is "I love how I eat now". LOL. Now I did go totally off the wagon yesterday for my daughter's birthday party, i ate sweets and cake and Monster Munch (if you are in the UK you knwo what that is, and it is a huge deal for me in the US cos I cant ge tit here often!! LOL. If you are in the US, it is a potato chip type snack, well corn, think Funnions, but MUCH better) but no ill effects today thankfully(ill effects for me are increase in the wierd pain around my right hip.). Funny what you said about fat, cos up until a week ago, I tried to use minial fats, and I wonder if that hasnt contributed to my issues (I am super constipated - if I didnt use fibre I would only poop once a week), but as the SC Diet is calorically limiting, I have been eating more fats, and I wonder if that hasnt helped some. Now that being said, my intestines work VERYslowly, and it takes a full 48 hrs for food to clear my system, often longer. So I may have more pain tomorrow in reference to my binge yesterday.

I know lots of people on here have the opposite of constipation, but if anyone has info on keeping things moving and healing small bowel erosions, would be excited to hear what you know.

Whome, how is it going? I am still (well except from yesterday) just doing the legal things on the SCdiet list. I am "cheating" with activia yogurt, because from what I have read diarrhea is the usual side effect of lactose issues ( please someone correct me if I am wrong, cos I am WAY new to this), so until I learn otherwise, and slow to poop I will jsut keep using Activia.

TTYL

Applezz
#72 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 AM

Ok, here we go. I'm new to all this HTG stuff and EXTREMELY overwhelmed. I've read through part of the cheat sheet and skimmed this thread, and also read a lot in the allergy forum. I also have the NT book.

My initial take on it is that it seems...well, inaccessible to me. I think our family eats a little better than the Standard American Diet, but still pretty mainstream compared to y'all. I mean yeah we try not to eat much processed food / fast food and try to eat whole grains, but that's pretty trendy now anyway. When I read about all the raw milk, enzymes, probiotics, etc. etc. the first question that comes to mind is "where would I get all this stuff?" and the second is "how would I afford it?" I mean honestly, our food budget doesn't really even allow for organic produce, let alone raw milk at $10 a gallon!

BUT I'm still interested. So my question is, if you were me and just wanted to ease into this way of eating, what is ONE CHANGE you would make?

Thanks.

Oh, and ETA: My DH has struggled with stomach issues (IBS?) for years now, and our kids show some signs of problems (both have mild eczema and our 2yo has very loose multiple stools per day), so I do have a reason to be here LOL!
#73 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 AM

chille do you know about www.localharvest.org

I found a local organic farm that delivers me food and saves me a TON of money on organics. I do belive she is raising cows too, and I get eggs also.

Raw Milk....I think there is a site you can locate that too. I wouldnt buy from the hFS because its probably expensive if they even sell it! Go to the farm directly.

But I am imagining a really gross texture and taste with raw milk so I dont know if I am going there.

It took me a while to get used to organic milk!
#74 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

for raw milk, i think the site is www.realmilk.com. As for the taste, if you've had both ultra-pasteurized and normal pasteurized, and noticed a difference (I thought the u-p was a little cooked/sweeter tasting), the difference between pasteurized and raw is kind of like that in reverse. Obviously still milk, just tastes a little tiny bit different.

for little tiny changes, think getting rid of bad and introducing good. Here's a list, choose any that you think you could try to do:
I've found that we really don't spend that much on food, even with paying $16/gal for raw milk (yeah) because I'm making stuff at home, not buying prepared foods, and not eating out. Those are the really expensive things. Also, local, organic, super fresh and ripe produce from our farmers market is cheaper than the sometimes-organic, not-so-local, not-so-ripe produce at our grocery store.
*Eat real foods - so cook at home, or go to quality restaurants. Limit processed anything and fast food.
*Cut out trans fats
*Switch to whole grains (in whatever you think you can handle)
*Cut out artificial sweeteners and then stuff like corn syrup
*Try to limit soy

*Don't be afraid of fat
*Add in yogurt. If you're feeling ambitious, make your own (it's really easy and so much cheaper!) or if you're not, just get a big carton of plain, and flavor it yourself. If even that's too much, buy some that looks good but make sure it has active cultures.

#75 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

so don't have time to be posting right now...

dd's 9mo well baby is today, and we're seeing her new dr. and leaving in 15 min!
I'm going to talk to her about leaky gut, and see if she can do nutrition testing on me and/or a leaky gut test and/or compehensive stool analysis for dd or me.

As for the SCD, I'm roughly following it. As I tried to do the intro, I found myself questioning *why* am I not eating that and *why* am I eaating this instead. I've also been reading about Rubin's Guts and Glory program. He's the guy behind the Maker's diet (I think) and he fully supports and endorses the SCD, but then improves on it by making it traditional foods, limiting fruit to 2-3 pieces per day, and not being quite so fanatically against grains - they're in the "not-so-bad" category (as opposed to "good" "bad" or "ugly", *if* they're soaked/sprouted/fermented. He also recommends a lot of supplements like clay, probiotics, minerals...

So I think I'm leaning more in that direction. We haven't noticed any significant changes yet, but dd still hasn't reacted to the yogurt. I'm so excited!

#76 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
so don't have time to be posting right now...

dd's 9mo well baby is today, and we're seeing her new dr. and leaving in 15 min!
I'm going to talk to her about leaky gut, and see if she can do nutrition testing on me and/or a leaky gut test and/or compehensive stool analysis for dd or me.

As for the SCD, I'm roughly following it. As I tried to do the intro, I found myself questioning *why* am I not eating that and *why* am I eaating this instead. I've also been reading about Rubin's Guts and Glory program. He's the guy behind the Maker's diet (I think) and he fully supports and endorses the SCD, but then improves on it by making it traditional foods, limiting fruit to 2-3 pieces per day, and not being quite so fanatically against grains - they're in the "not-so-bad" category (as opposed to "good" "bad" or "ugly", *if* they're soaked/sprouted/fermented. He also recommends a lot of supplements like clay, probiotics, minerals...

So I think I'm leaning more in that direction. We haven't noticed any significant changes yet, but dd still hasn't reacted to the yogurt. I'm so excited!
It's all about finding something that works for you and what your issue is. I feel bad and get fat quickly eating grains so I enjoy being grain free and think it is best for me. (I think it is because I am Scandinavian and their native diet did not include any grains that I know of, but was high in fatty fish and meats)

Don't be too shocked or diappointed if you talk to the dr at the well baby and thinks you are nuts or has no clue what you are talking about I have found my research and knowagable mamas to help me more than anything.

That is so great about the yogurt. I am so happy for you! I am no longer reacting like I was to 24 hour raw yogurt OR eggs!!! (I have been off my foods for about a year). It is so thrilling to have evidence that my body is healing!

Jen

#77 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilliepepper View Post
Ok, here we go. I'm new to all this HTG stuff and EXTREMELY overwhelmed. I've read through part of the cheat sheet and skimmed this thread, and also read a lot in the allergy forum. I also have the NT book.

My initial take on it is that it seems...well, inaccessible to me. I think our family eats a little better than the Standard American Diet, but still pretty mainstream compared to y'all. I mean yeah we try not to eat much processed food / fast food and try to eat whole grains, but that's pretty trendy now anyway. When I read about all the raw milk, enzymes, probiotics, etc. etc. the first question that comes to mind is "where would I get all this stuff?" and the second is "how would I afford it?" I mean honestly, our food budget doesn't really even allow for organic produce, let alone raw milk at $10 a gallon!

BUT I'm still interested. So my question is, if you were me and just wanted to ease into this way of eating, what is ONE CHANGE you would make?

Thanks.

Oh, and ETA: My DH has struggled with stomach issues (IBS?) for years now, and our kids show some signs of problems (both have mild eczema and our 2yo has very loose multiple stools per day), so I do have a reason to be here LOL!
I just want to encourage you to make changes slowly. It is very overwhelming. It is taking me 18 months to get to where I am doing all this stuff. I would switch what you already eat. For example--when you run out of bread then start buying sprouted bread (good price at Trader Joes). Dairy products--start buying butter, buy some plain whole milk yogurt, find some raw milk. I think these should help with the digestion issues too. Locate some kefir grains to start fermenting the milk to further heal digestion..I think 2 c of 24 hour fermemnted kefir has 5 TRIllion becteria. Way more than any pill and cheaper! Start finding some good eggs. Keep things simple. I focus on buying the best animal products I can afford starting with dairy (which is the most important thing to buy organic IMO). I don't buy organic produce unless it is very reasonably priced that day.

We are here to help too. Head over to Traditonal foods for food questions as well.
Jen

#78 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Don't be too shocked or diappointed if you talk to the dr at the well baby and thinks you are nuts or has no clue what you are talking about I have found my research and knowagable mamas to help me more than anything.
I our new dr!!
I'd met her once before when she got our GI specialist appt moved up, and liked her then. She's young, has a 2yo, is pg, thought about not vaxing her own daughter, has a friend who ec's, admits what she doesn't know and is happy to find out more. I explained the whole leaky gut theory (she'd kinda heard of it before) and she said it sounded totally reasonable and on the right track. She also said not to worry, that it'll soon go away (babies usually outgrow their sensitivities) and I'll forget it was ever so all-consuming. AND she's going to find a nutritionist who will test my nutrient levels for me. woo hoo!

In other news, dd's iron is low and so we need to get a more extensive panel done.

off to research iron

#79 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just want to encourage you to make changes slowly. It is very overwhelming.
:
Start with just getting used to the new and different flavors, and *then* worry about the quality/preparation/etc.

#80 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 07:16 PM

Your dr sounds like a blessing whome!

Jen

#81 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I just want to encourage you to make changes slowly. It is very overwhelming. It is taking me 18 months to get to where I am doing all this stuff. I would switch what you already eat. For example--when you run out of bread then start buying sprouted bread (good price at Trader Joes). Dairy products--start buying butter, buy some plain whole milk yogurt, find some raw milk. I think these should help with the digestion issues too. Locate some kefir grains to start fermenting the milk to further heal digestion..I think 2 c of 24 hour fermemnted kefir has 5 TRIllion becteria. Way more than any pill and cheaper! Start finding some good eggs. Keep things simple. I focus on buying the best animal products I can afford starting with dairy (which is the most important thing to buy organic IMO). I don't buy organic produce unless it is very reasonably priced that day.

We are here to help too. Head over to Traditonal foods for food questions as well.
Jen
This is good stuff; thanks for the tips.

So about bread: I do have a grain mill and have been wondering what people mean when they say to soak your grains. Can someone give me instructions for what kind of grain to get for making bread, and then how to soak it? Is there a special recipe I need to use to make the bread? We don't have Trader Joe's in our area : I'm sure they have sprouted bread at Whole Foods but probably not at a price I want to pay. Can I make my own sprouted bread?

I do buy butter...and we eat whole milk plain yogurt (except when we're doing dairy elimination, like now for example). I was thinking about making my own yogurt, but wasn't quite ready to go the raw milk route just yet. Would homemade yogurt made from pasteurized whole milk still be better than commercial whole milk yogurt?

Kefir...I guess I need to go reread NT about that. I still have no idea what it is.

Yah...looks like I need to start frequenting the NT thread as well LOL!

Thanks again.
#82 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

soaking - whole grains have phytic acid, which inhibits your absorption of minerals like iron, zinc, phosphorus, etc. whole grains also have phytase, an enzyme that breaks down the phytic acid. soaking your whole grains activates the phytase, which deactivates the phytic acid and makes the minerals available for you to digest. freshly ground grains have much more phytase than flours that have been stored - even just for a month. Typical soaking times are on the order of 7 hours.
www.rebuild-from-depression.com has an e-course on phytic acid with lots of good info.

sprouting - also gets rid of the phytic acid, and increases nutrients as well. I know vit C for sure, can't remember what else. you can do it, but it's kinda labor-intensive.

bread - whole wheat sourdough from freshly ground wheat berries is the simplest to make at home. it's good because the sourdough has a long rise time, and the rising time counts as soaking time - so there's no need to pre-soak your flour. You can use other grains as well, but wheat is likely what you're used to, and it's easy to work with because of the gluten. Other grains with gluten are rye and barley.
you can definitely make your own sprouted bread, but I haven't before, so I can't help you there.

yogurt - anything homemade will likely have more probiotic bacteria than what you can buy in the store. mostly because it's fresher, and you can control how long it cultures for - longer means more bacteria. it's also cheaper, and really easy once you figure it out!

kefir - this is another way to culture milk, similar to yogurt. the biggest differences are that 1) you need grains to get started and 2) it can be done at room temp - so no need to figure out warming spots!

#83 of 254 Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 PM

Definately make your yogurt and kefir at home and let it ferment for 24 or more hours. They are the ultimate gut healer and allow you to get in TRIllions of probiotics cheap.

http://www.healingcrow.com/ferfun/co...onspiracy.html

Quote:
. Homemade yogurt that is fermented for 24 hours, as recommended in the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle, will have an average concentration of 3 billion cfu/mL of yogurt. What does this mean? Well, if you were to eat a small bowl (500 ml) of 24 hour fermented homemade yogurt, you would receive 1.5 trillion beneficial bacteria - 100 times more bacteria than a 15 billion capsule.
Furthermore, freshly made kefir can have an average microbial count as high as 10 billion cfu/ml. This includes a mixture of various bacteria and yeast strains. This means that a 500 ml glass of homemade kefir could contain as many as 5 trillion beneficial microorganisms or even more!
(bold mine. 500 ml=2cups)

I also add the bacteria (probiotic) strain "L.reuteri" to my yogurt (I break open a probiotic cap and put the powder in it before I ferment it. This stain is shown to colonize very well in the digestive tract. I also sometimes add other bacteria strains so there are lots of benefiots to making the dairy ferments yourself!
Jen

#84 of 254 Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilliepepper View Post
When I read about all the raw milk, enzymes, probiotics, etc. etc. the first question that comes to mind is "where would I get all this stuff?" and the second is "how would I afford it?" I mean honestly, our food budget doesn't really even allow for organic produce, let alone raw milk at $10 a gallon!
Gradual change is definitely the way you go. A few months ago I posted to this tribe with the same sentiment

My DD was very ill, suffering horribly from eczema and seemed to be sensitive/allergic to EVERYTHING she was eating. I knew next to nothing about gut function or its role in health. We spent over $2K and saw 3 doctors before we found a naturopath who was persistent enough to get to the root of the problem (and we're still solving it). I say this, because although the food costs and the supplement cost can be overwhelming, it is probably MUCH cheaper then paying for healthcare costs that stem from long-term gut issues.

Several things that helped me in the food department: we started culturing veggies first (spending maybe $2-$3 a ferment), then I got a kombucha scoby from a mama on the Traditional Foods board (there is a sticky there of people with cultures who are willing to share) and that mama also sent me some milk kefir grains (I only had to pay shipping). Once the cultures are going, they are very inexpensive and very nutritious. And the great thing about kombucha and kefir is that with care they self-propogate, so they are good indefinitely, which is VERY economical!

Also, use your local library. I was able to get all of the recommended books on the cheat sheet by requesting them through interlibrary loan. Digestive Wellness, Digestive Wellness for Children, and Bacteria for Breakfast were all REALLY helpful to me at understanding just how critical it is to maintain gut health. Wild Fermentation has lots of info about lots of different cultures. The Maker's Diet was the book that first got me really interested in all this stuff.

We did join a CSA (community supported agriculture) and found one in our area that delivers. So, I pay $25 a week for a nice box of fresh from the farm produce. May seem expensive, but I oftentimes would run to the store "just for lettuce" and come back having spent $60 on things we "needed" We also were able to find a local farm and bought 1/4 grass-fed beef in a cow share and a whole lamb. I now have meat in my freezer for at least the next 6-12 months that is much healthier then what you can get at the supermarket, and it was much cheaper. We do have a chest freezer so it certainly helps there.

I do buy raw goats milk for $16 a gallon, but it takes us about 10ish days to go through it because I ferment it all into kefir. Kefir keeps MUCH longer then milk. We don't eat cereal and because DD still can't have dairy we don't cook with it, so it isn't a big expense for us. You don't have to do anything 100%- perhaps start by buying raw milk every other grocery trip. Or, just use it for drinking but use other stuff in baking for the time being.

Learning how to perpare foods to bring out the best possible nutrition will help everyone in your family whether they have gut issues or not. And it really is an investment in your future health. Its not something you have to figure out overnight or instantly convert to. So I guess the one thing I'd advise you to do is take a deep breath! We are all here to support each other in this journey!

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#85 of 254 Old 09-18-2007, 10:00 AM

Hi everyone. I haven't read this whole thread yet. I just found the reference to the SCD diet on the Curing Cavities thread and JUST NOW realized that THIS thread could answer some of my questions.

So my story, as quickly as I can: I have been feeling worse and worse with each pregnancy-- three so far and two babies. Now I feel worse than ever. My littlest one is 10 months old and I am dragging, fatigued, exhausted most days, and my back and joints alway hurts. I cut out gluten and corn a couple of months ago and it was a huge difference-- I could sleep better since then and I've had more energy, but not enough. I know there's much more I need to do to heal.

My older son is the one I'm really worried about, though. HE was born long and skinny and in his first baby portrait he looked so skinny and sickly that I threw them away, they were just not attractive. : He is such a handsome little boy now, but he has slowly fallen off the growth chart, he used to off the charts in his height and now at age three he is in the 25th percentile for height. This is not an in-between-growth-spurts thing, it has been a steady decline. He has big dark circles under his eyes much of the time and he usually says he is too tired to climb the stairs to our second floor apartment. He used to show some slightly autistic behavior and had a lot of trouble sleeping, and would wake at night screaming and crying in pain but unable to say what was wrong-- we even took him to the ER once-- but when I took him off of gluten and pasteurized dairy (the latter of which he had only ever had a little) a couple of months ago, he showed marked improvement in those areas, so that's good. But then he became addicted to Bob's Red Mill rice "farina" hot cereal. It was almost all he would eat all day. I finally weaned him off of it over the last couple of days! YAYYYYY!!!! This is BIG.

Today he asked me for broccoli. : This from the PICKIEST eater in the WORLD.

My problem is, he still lives off of Applegate Farm hot dogs and Applegate Farm turkey bologna. (The natural kind.) How to wean him off of these (to move us toward adopting the SCD diet) I don't know. He won't eat any other kind of meat.

I also don't know how to get CLO or any other supplement into him. He only drinks water, won't touch anything else. Yet. The broccoli thing showed me that there may yet be hope.

A little TMI: I had tried the SCD diet for one day and woke up weak, HUNGRY, and incredibly dizzy. I got my dh to wake up and get me some organic juice and then after drinking the juice I was vomitting. Some activated charcoal and raw honey got me feeling better.

Anyway, now I'm a little scared top try the diet again. I know I need to plan my approach carefully and be very prepared. So I'm here to try to learn as much as I can until I feel ready to try the SCD. I'm tired of feeling so TIRED, ACHEY, and OLD all the time when I am only 24.

OH, BTW, we have been kind of dong WAP/NT/TF for a few years except I am always so tired and low energy I don't make most stuff very well, just bone broth, that's about it. We depended on the Applegate Farms lunchmeats way too much. And I have a really hard time remembering or wanting to take supplements, too, especially CLO, so that's something I'll have to work on, too. I can see taking it with some veggie juice, but I don't think that's allowed in the first stage of SCD. ?

Anyway, any pointers would be great. Thanks everyone!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#86 of 254 Old 09-18-2007, 10:49 AM

What are the differences between the SCD and Sally Fallon's HR diet? I am wondering which one would be better for me and my son?

From the Cheat Sheet thread:

Quote:
The "Health Recovery" diet in the book is not for weight loss. It is for healing a number of autoimmune conditions including serious or not so serious digestive disorders:
Recovery from surgery, life-threatening illness, debilitated weak condition, chemotherapy, malnutrition.
Adrenal Weakness/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Allergies/Hay Fever
Asthma
ADD
Constipation
Diabetes and Insulin Resistance
Emotional Problems: Anxiety, Depression, Mood Swings
Fungal Infections/Candida
Gallbladder Ailments
Hormonal Imbalances/Women's Diseases
Hypoglycemia
Immune System/Autoimmune Disorders
IBS/Colitis/Crohn's Disease
Skin Problems: Eczema, Dry Skin, Wrinkles, Scaly Patches, Hair Loss
Thyroid Imbalance
Viral Infections: Epstein-Barr, Herpes, HIV/AIDS
http://www.eatfatlosefat.com/test-healthrecovery.html

The HR diet is based on a lot of coconut oil and coconut milk, lacto-fermented foods and beverages (kefir sodas and yogurt), and lots of homemade bone broth. They recommend raw milk and kefir/yogurt but there is a high calcium milk alternative made from coconut milk and KAL dolomite powder if you are allergic to dairy. And the fermented foods and kefir sodas are great dairy free sources of probiotics.

Also includes eggs, meat, liver (or just dessicated liver tablets), fish, cod liver oil, high vitamin butter oil, animal fats, vegetables, natural vitamin C from amla or acerola powder and only one serving of soaked grains/day. Swedish bitters or apple cider vinegar for liver and digestive support.
Thanks a bunch, anyone!!!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#87 of 254 Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
BASIC SUGGESTED OUTLINE:

1. Digestive enzymes with meals.
2. Enzymes between meals, esp. proteases and cellulases.
3. Yogurt/kefir/fermented foods/probiotics.
4. Cut out foods you determine that you cannot digest or are allergic to.
5. Add nutrient dense superfoods and good quality supplements.
6. Educate yourself on what is really a healthy diet... nutrient deficiencies can in themselves lead to many digestive issues.
7. If all the above doesn't work, investigate alternatives: anti fungals/bacterials, homeopathy, etc.
Can anyone tell me what a basic day's meal/snack/supplement plan actually looks like? Especially for a little one. Thanks!

I also have questions about B. infantis for my little 3yo and also on the rotation diet. How are these things implemented exactly, in relation to one of the healing diets? And has anyone dealt with an extremely picky, stubborn little boy (or girl) who will only eat a very few things and will go on a hunger strike otherwise? Does the pickiness go away on its own and what do you do in the meantime?

I am still wondering how on earth I am going to do this! :

#88 of 254 Old 09-18-2007, 11:54 PM

Hi LionTigerBear, I am not a Dr. but I just wanted to ask, if you had been tested for Rheumatoid Arthritis? A friend of mine has that, and her symptoms were very similar.

I am very new to the whole eating for optimal health and healing, and I am a HUGE supporter of eating to stop inflamation. Soundsl ike you have some kind in you rjoints. I dont remember where I read it, but I read that the SC diet is not the best one for arthritis. Perhaps try the HR one?

Again not a Dr. but I would be cautious about doing an extreme diet change while pg. Perhaps try eliminaing just one thing at a time, for a couple of weeks, but I would run it by your Dr. first, in case the joint thing coudl be some unusual pregnancy side effect?

Hope you find some improvement soon.

Applezz
#89 of 254 Old 09-19-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
What are the differences between the SCD and Sally Fallon's HR diet? I am wondering which one would be better for me and my son?
I think the main differnece is that the HR diet allows for small amounts of properly prepared grains and maple syryp. I think the HR diet is excellent. I drink the kefir sodas everyday and my 3yo loves them. I think this diet could be great for your your symptoms--it sounds like you could have thyriod or adrenal problems.

Can anyone tell me what a basic day's meal/snack/supplement plan actually looks like? Especially for a little one. Thanks! Here is a sample--

B: digestive enzymes and a teaspoon of CLO
Whole milk kefir smoothie (can add egg yolks, coconut oil, fruit, flax seed, honey)

L: enzymes
salad with chicken salad (with homemade mayo) and a glass of water kefir/kombucha or other ferented beverage

S:enzymes soaked nuts, fruit, raw cheese....

D:enzymes
Beef broth based beef stew. Maybe add a fermented vegetable or beverage.

For kids--my son likes soups, yogurt smoothies, sanwiches, avocadoes, cheese and rice crackers, nuts and nut butters, bananas, liver.....My ds does not seem to have health issues so I just give him CLO as s supplement.

I tend to do better on high fat/low carb. I have read that is good for many of the issues you are having. I had severe PPD and so many other issues likie yours that were resolved with high fat/lowcarb TF diet, addressing nutrient defiences, and fixing my adrenals with some supplments and destressing. I find I do really well on a more hunter-gatherer diet of meat/bone broth/organ meats, produce and fat.

Jen

#90 of 254 Old 09-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Thank you so much for your answers.

I have to clarify that I am not pregnant, I had my first son and then a late miscarriage and then my second son, so that's how the three pregnancies two babies thing adds up. I am breastfeeding my ten-month-old. Should have stated that better.

We are already doing better just from cutting the rice cereal out of our diets. I've been letting the three year old eat almost as much really raw honey as he wants to (some limitation because it is very expensive)-- do you think this is okay? I have been eating lots of rich bone broth soup, but my son won't touch it. He is eating more raw cheese now, and lots and lots of scrambled eggs.

About the HR diet-- I am going to order the book-- however, I am wondering, will it cure our/my gluten-intolerance like the SCD is supposed to be able to? Anyone know or have an opinion on that?

Thanks, everyone!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page