HTG - Healing the Gut September/October 07 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 254 Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Is this a test done through a lab? Or on your own? What is it called?
done through a lab, but I forget what it's called, sorry! check the last thread, I think someone told me there.
Quote:
Is there a test for food sensitivities? Before I try to do an elimination diet with a 4 year old I'd like to have some info to start with.
Yeah, IgG allergies are what you're looking for, and it should be a blood test. Not sure who you would get it through, though. You might be able to order the test on your own. When you get the results, it's not the magic answer, it just gives you a starting point, but that can still be really helpful.

sorry, I don't know about the gluten/allergy ring

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#122 of 254 Old 10-02-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
ETA: Would a gluten intolerance cause the allergy ring around the anus?
Absolutely.

<>< Alison
#123 of 254 Old 10-02-2007, 10:31 PM

Hi, totally new here. I am not sure I understand very much (espicially the abbreviations), but do have a few questions. My dd who is exclusively breastfed and is 5 months old had a dairy sensitivty or allergy. If I had any dairy she would break out in eczema. I have been completely dairy free now for 3 months by cooking all our food at home from scratch. She has very smooth skin now but has green mucousy bowel movements. Per JaneS suggesstion in another post I have ordered and should be receiving soon a probiotic (solaray babylife). Is there anything else I should do. I keep hearing about enzymes and stuff, but not sure if my eating that would make a difference for her since she is only bf (and I have no clue what enzymes are). Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
#124 of 254 Old 10-03-2007, 01:04 AM

I remember quite a while back that you posted some links to info on actually being addicted to the chemicals produced in the gut when digesting casein and gluten. If you have those links, could you post them again, or tell me when you posted them, I really do not have the time to search through 6 months of threads. Thanks!
#125 of 254 Old 10-03-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan&elishappymom View Post
Hi, totally new here. I am not sure I understand very much (espicially the abbreviations), but do have a few questions. My dd who is exclusively breastfed and is 5 months old had a dairy sensitivty or allergy. If I had any dairy she would break out in eczema. I have been completely dairy free now for 3 months by cooking all our food at home from scratch. She has very smooth skin now but has green mucousy bowel movements. Per JaneS suggesstion in another post I have ordered and should be receiving soon a probiotic (solaray babylife). Is there anything else I should do. I keep hearing about enzymes and stuff, but not sure if my eating that would make a difference for her since she is only bf (and I have no clue what enzymes are). Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
for green mucousy bowel movements, first make sure you're not dealing with a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

Enzymes break down your food. Your body makes them, and you get them in raw food. And you can take extras as a supplement.

I've decided to treat myself rather than dd, even though she's the one with the obvious symptoms, on the theory that anything I do for myself will eventually get to her. Although I'm avoiding any known triggers for her. This way I'm working on the root of the problems (my own gut) and dd won't remember any of this 5 years from now. I'm also kinda assuming that, like the vast majority of babies with sensitivities, she will outgrow most of her intolerances, especially if I'm actively doing something about it.

That's my long way of saying that even though we have CLO and probiotics in the fridge for dd, it's been about a month since she got any.

#126 of 254 Old 10-03-2007, 03:34 PM

Whome - thanks for responding. I don't think it is a fore/hind milk problem. I only nurse one side per feeding hoping to avoid that. If there is a way to know for sure, I would love to find out. What all are you doing? Are you doing things for specific problems that you are facing in your own gut, or are you just doing general healing things to promote the healthiest gut possible for yourself?

what is the scd?
#127 of 254 Old 10-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
For my DD, green poops meant that she was reacting to something. No amount of probiotics made the green poops go away until I figured out and eliminated all of the foods that she was reacting to.
#128 of 254 Old 10-03-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Whome - thanks for responding. I don't think it is a fore/hind milk problem. I only nurse one side per feeding hoping to avoid that. If there is a way to know for sure, I would love to find out. What all are you doing? Are you doing things for specific problems that you are facing in your own gut, or are you just doing general healing things to promote the healthiest gut possible for yourself?

what is the scd?
SCD is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, one way that is supposed to heal a leaky gut, and that many here seem to have had success with. I managed it for about a week or two but then found myself eating coconut oil and honey straight from the jars, and my pre-pregnancy pants suddenly fit again. So now I'm eating (very limited) grains.

The reason I mention the for/hind milk issue is because I thought I was safe (always just nursed one side per feeding, unless that side was absolutely empty and dd was trying to fall asleep), but then dh found someone's post on another board about how her dc's 'dairy sensitivity' was just an imbalance all along. I tried block nursing (4-6 hours per side), and within a couple of days, poop was back to normal. Course it only lasted a little while, but at least that tiny portion of the mystery was solved. It's such an easy thing to do, and I've never had supply issues, so I figured it couldn't hurt. I think that if you notice a big difference in the appearance of your foremilk vs your hindmilk, then your dc may be more susceptible to an imbalance.

Right now, I'm assuming my gut leaks because dd has multiple sensitivities through my milk, and so I'm trying to fix it.
-I'm taking probiotics (because we're still iffy on dairy and I haven't figured out non-dairy yogurt yet). But will soon get back to water kefir.
-I'm thinking about enzymes, but haven't gone there yet.
-I have CLO for myself, but can't bring myself to take it.
-I'm getting nutrient levels tested to try to address deficiencies.
-I'm researching nutrient interactions and working on a program to keep track of my own intake so as not to create new deficiencies/best fix the existing ones.
-Everything is homemade from scratch with ingredients from the farmers market (I'm lucky, they're year round here) and/or direct from the farm (we have a freezer full of grassfed beef and will soon have a source for pastured eggs!)
-I want to experiment with eating clay to help with any detox effects and to buffer any food reactions. I've been looking for a local source for it, but if the stores don't have it when I check today, I'll be ordering online.
-oh yeah, and lots of gelatin and lots of fiber!

Before I started this path, I never would have guessed I had a leaky gut (I guess I still don't know for sure either) but I've noticed many changes for the better. And the more I learn, the more I realize I have symptoms I didn't think were symptoms!

#129 of 254 Old 10-04-2007, 01:48 AM

Well, I guess we belong here! We are trying to heal the whole fam...it all started with my almost 3 yr old...and now I'm pretty sure my 4 mo old has issues as well as (yeah) myself. My oldest seems to be the healthiest of the bunch. We're not doing it all, but I am just amazed at how well my 3 yr old eats...my dh asked ds his fave food and he replied, "icecream". DD? "Broccoli": . I'm still dealing with feelings of betrayal as I've felt we've always eaten way better than SAD, and yet we're still dealing with all these sensitivities and gut issues. I'm really inclined to think that we are reaping the consequences of poor nutrition thru the generations....
We have goats that are bred and have been getting raw goats milk in the mean time, but I'm afraid that dairy is out for us; in which case, whi do I have goats??? I hate to get rid of them onthe off-chance we may be able to use them. I got kefir grains, but I think they made us sick and threw them out. (I should've asked if that's a possibility before doing so as I paid 20$ for them!) I REALLY want to do ogurt, but am not sure that's a good idea right now.
Anyone know a good source for water kefirs???
I think we're fighting candida as well...
And can anyone tell my a link about the "allergy ring"? I'd love to add that to my reading, lol.
I'm really not wanting any gluten sensitivities, but if I'm thinking right, I should eliminate it anyway until their guts are healed/closed so as to not develop any, riht?
Sorry this is so spacy. I think I'm a little overwhelmed tonight...: Thanx for letting me ramble...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#130 of 254 Old 10-04-2007, 03:45 PM

Hi everyone...well, I guess I belong here too. I've been trying for a while now to figure out what's going on...I took a food allergy test for Igg reactions, and the test showed up really clean - only a slight reaction to dairy and kidney beans! But I know my body isn't doing well, and I'm coming to this thread looking for a little support because I'm feeling pretty discouraged at the moment. The latest theory is candidiasis. My chiropractor and my colon hydrotherapist have both indicated this, and the online tests both came up with high scores, indicating that I "almost certainly" have it. I even did the spit test this morning and man was that gross! But sort of fascinating. Everything showed up, and I was watching it thinking, "Why does anyone have to wait an hour?" Mine showed cloudy strings and specks immediately.

So, I guess I'm ready to try whatever I need to. But all the different opinions are overwhelming! Some say no fermented foods at all, others say they're okay. Some say dairy's okay, others say no way. Some say rice is good, others say no. I'm just feeling a little frustrated and run down by the whole thing. I wish I could go to a doctor and she could say, "Oh yes, this is definitely the problem, and this is definitely how you fix it." KWIM? Argh! Okay, thanks for tolerating my rant. Newcastlemama, you've seen some of my other posts on the TF forum about this journey, and I'm so glad to see you here too. So ladies, please tell me what's working for you if you're dealing with candidiasis...or really, anything helpful at this point. TIA!

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#131 of 254 Old 10-04-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbanGirl View Post
I even did the spit test this morning and man was that gross! But sort of fascinating. Everything showed up, and I was watching it thinking, "Why does anyone have to wait an hour?" Mine showed cloudy strings and specks immediately.
What's the spit test?:

#132 of 254 Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM

Oh, it's the height of grossness. You are supposed to spit into a glass of water first thing in the morning, and then watch what it does. Supposedly, healthy saliva simply floats on top. But if it sinks, or you get funky stringy things or if it makes the water cloudy, then it's not healthy and somehow points to candidiasis. But I don't know all the science behind it, so don't quote me! Just spit and behold the magic...

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#133 of 254 Old 10-04-2007, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbanGirl View Post
Oh, it's the height of grossness. You are supposed to spit into a glass of water first thing in the morning, and then watch what it does. Supposedly, healthy saliva simply floats on top. But if it sinks, or you get funky stringy things or if it makes the water cloudy, then it's not healthy and somehow points to candidiasis. But I don't know all the science behind it, so don't quote me! Just spit and behold the magic...
I'm totally trying that in the morning!

#134 of 254 Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 AM

I'd fortotten about the spit test, lol! I did that 4 yrsago and went on a yeast diet...(NAK, BTW) I went off all grains but rice, all sugars but the occasional piece of fruit (mostly blueberries)ate lots of veggies, NO dairy except plain yogurt and home-grown eggs, and only chicken for meat. I took extra flora, gse in PLAIN cranberry juice, and tons of vitamin C. Don't know how authentic this is, but it worked and in about three months my saliva was normal (whatever that means, lol). I really think going off dairy is a huge help. I lost my last 10 lbs from baby #1 and felt great! Maybe I need to do that again...maybe I should spit first!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#135 of 254 Old 10-05-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
I'd fortotten about the spit test, lol! I did that 4 yrsago and went on a yeast diet...(NAK, BTW) I went off all grains but rice, all sugars but the occasional piece of fruit (mostly blueberries)ate lots of veggies, NO dairy except plain yogurt and home-grown eggs, and only chicken for meat. I took extra flora, gse in PLAIN cranberry juice, and tons of vitamin C. Don't know how authentic this is, but it worked and in about three months my saliva was normal (whatever that means, lol). I really think going off dairy is a huge help. I lost my last 10 lbs from baby #1 and felt great! Maybe I need to do that again...maybe I should spit first!
Dannic, this sounds very similar to an elimination diet I did last month from "The False Fat Diet". I felt really good on it, after the first 4 days or so of feeling horrible (some people call this die-off?) but when I got my food allergy test back and had so few reactions, I sort of abandoned it and didn't follow through on food challenges and such. I think I'm going to go back on the elimination diet and then start over with food challenges. I'm sad that I may have to give up dairy, but I'm going to give homemade raw yogurt a try. I've read about 24-hour-cultured yogurt that's supposed to be better?

What extra flora did you take? What's gse? I'm taking a cleanse formula ("Multi-Cleanse") and a fiber supplement called Super Seed which has lots of probiotics (although I left it in my hot car for a few hours on the day I bought it, so who knows if the living goodness is still living) along with CLO/BO and prenatal vitamin. I want to do this right this time. Thanks for the help!

We're officially TTC!!!

#136 of 254 Old 10-05-2007, 06:06 AM

Thanks guys!! so my options are

1. another sensitivity
2. hind/formilk
3. healing my gut

I'm hoping there isn't another sensitivity... I will try one side per 6hrs and see what happens there. I'm trying to gradually work through healing my gut. I would like to try some lacto fermented veggies and water keifer. (I'm thinking that would be a good starting point right?) Please forgive my ignorance, but I googled water keifer and it indicated that it is alcoholic. Is it? And if so, to what extent and should you limit your intake of it.

thanks again for your responses!!
Martha
#137 of 254 Old 10-05-2007, 08:39 AM

So after working to transitioning towards SCD for a few weeks, we are starting the SCD in earnest today. I'm excited but skeered too. Yesterday I did all SCD except I hadn't cut out the lunchmeats and hot dogs yet-- the boys two staple favorites. so today, those are out too. We are there. Here. Yikes. We are waiting until day five or so to start probiotics. We are already having a really hard time with this-- well, I'm okay, I have the benefit of knowing why the heck I am doing this, but My 11-month-old is experiencing yeast die-off through my breastmilk and my three-year-old is having a really hard time with pretty much ALL of his favorite foods eliminated (all except scrambled eggs, which he normally loves but is now stubbornly refusing to eat. I'm hoping he'll relent soon!) This morning I made banana + egg + coconut oil pancakes and that was a big hit! Yay! Although he wanted maple syrup on it . . . had to nix that idea. It's so hard with a three-year-old. Anyway, that's what's we're doing.

Oh, we are supplementing with Floradix iron + herbs also (for the three-year-old and I.) My husband isn't doing the diet when he's at work, but he says he'll join in with us once we get to a later stage of the diet (when it's not QUITE as strict.)

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#138 of 254 Old 10-05-2007, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
I remember quite a while back that you posted some links to info on actually being addicted to the chemicals produced in the gut when digesting casein and gluten. If you have those links, could you post them again, or tell me when you posted them, I really do not have the time to search through 6 months of threads. Thanks!
sorry, been swamped with other things...

casein contains a peptide (short sequence of amino acids, not quite enough to be a protein on its own) called betacasomorphin - this peptide binds to opioid receptors in the gut and in the brain. similarly with gluten - it contains a protein called gliaden which has a peptide called gliadomorphin that also binds to opioid receptors in the gut and brain. people who don't properly digest casein and gluten end up with betacasomorphin and gliadomorphin floating around in their system, binding to opioid receptors and having that "feelin' good" response to dairy and glutinous products. perhaps that is why i'm so much more clear headed now that i'm off dairy and gluten

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#139 of 254 Old 10-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
sorry, been swamped with other things...

casein contains a peptide (short sequence of amino acids, not quite enough to be a protein on its own) called betacasomorphin - this peptide binds to opioid receptors in the gut and in the brain. similarly with gluten - it contains a protein called gliaden which has a peptide called gliadomorphin that also binds to opioid receptors in the gut and brain. people who don't properly digest casein and gluten end up with betacasomorphin and gliadomorphin floating around in their system, binding to opioid receptors and having that "feelin' good" response to dairy and glutinous products. perhaps that is why i'm so much more clear headed now that i'm off dairy and gluten
Thank you! I know some people whose twin girls have just been diagnosed with celiacs. The father doesn't want to get tested because he loves grains too much! That made me think of this. I will pass on the info.
#140 of 254 Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Okay, so we are on day four of SCD, except that we've been eating some not-totally-ripe bananas. You know, sometimes they're a little bit starchy with a little bit of green on the peel.

Please don't tell me we have to go all the way back to the beginning. I mean, I get that it's only a few days, but it's been really hard eating only eggs, chicken soup, homemade appleasauce and bananas. Esp. for the three-year-old who isn't eating the chicken soup or applesauce. For him, it has been a banana and egg diet, thus needing to break into the not-quite-ripe bananas.

Can someone please weigh in here? I'm feeling so frustrated.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#141 of 254 Old 10-08-2007, 02:04 PM

Hello wise Mamas,
I was wondering if anyone can give me any sites or pointers on healing the gut without using any dairy? Perhaps gluten-free as well.

DS2 has had gut issues since birth, and I NEED to get started on something. I had decided a while back to try the SCD, but then discovered that dairy products played a large part in her diet, and we simply cannot do that.

DD is also dairy intolerant (though not to the extent that DS2 is), and I think she may have issues with gluten as well. She has a chronically stuffy nose, and swollen tonsils.

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. I feel like I've put this off long enough!

Oh, I've also been thinking about getting krankedyanne's (sp?) TF menu mailer, would that be a good thing to do right now, or should I do some sort of intro diet first?
#142 of 254 Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMama View Post
Hello wise Mamas,
I was wondering if anyone can give me any sites or pointers on healing the gut without using any dairy? Perhaps gluten-free as well.

DS2 has had gut issues since birth, and I NEED to get started on something. I had decided a while back to try the SCD, but then discovered that dairy products played a large part in her diet, and we simply cannot do that.
I am kind of confused why you would think that dairy plays a big part in SCD, unless you mean eggs. I am doing the SCD right now. It is dairy-free (again, unless you mean eggs-- it is definitely egg-heavy, at least at my house). Goat milk yogurt is allowed (after the first stage I think), but totally optional-- we're not doing it, not yet anyway. We might try it later. My younger son is very sensitive to dairy, small amounts make him fussy, can't sleep, and moderate amounts make him throw up.

#143 of 254 Old 10-08-2007, 03:45 PM

Here is a quote from her intro diet:
Quote:
Breakfast:
Dry curd cottage cheese (moisten with homemade yogurt)
Eggs (boiled, poached, or scrambled)*
Pressed apple cider or grape juice mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with water. See, SCD™ Legal / Illegal List for more information about allowable juices.
Homemade gelatin made with juice, unflavored gelatin, and sweetener (honey or saccharine)
I haven't actually read the book, I guess I just assumed that the rest would include dairy as well.

I do remember reading (I believe it was on her site) about 24 hr yogurt, and got the impression that it was kind of a big part of the SCD. I'd be very glad to be mistaken though!
#144 of 254 Old 10-08-2007, 04:09 PM

IMO, the 24 hour yogurt should be a huge part of the SCD, it's the probiotics in it that is a big part of the healing. If you can find an effective way to get probiotics without dairy that is still SCD legal, then that would work.

re: bananas, that's a hard one because many of the bananas never actually have all the green parts go away it seems! Before they get way too ripe to eat, anyway. I know you need to at least have brown spots for it to be ripe, but I'm not sure if there is still starch in there if there is still a bit of green at the top. And no, you don't need to start over, you're still at the beginning!
#145 of 254 Old 10-08-2007, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

SCD and dairy - the SCD is pretty dairy heavy, but it's mostly for the probiotics in the yogurt. www.pecanbread.com is the non-dairy version I think LionTigerBear is talking about. (right?) So yes, it's doable non-dairy.

Most of the gut-healing stuff should be gluten free because wheat can be so hard on so many people.

I don't get the menu mailer, but IIRC, she's GFCF so it would likely be at least a little helpful. It also depends on where you were before starting this path - how comfortable are you with cooking TF?

I'm patiently awaiting nutrient level test results and I think addressing those will be my next focus. I've scrapped the SCD because I *couldn't* eat enough calories in a day. I'm not quite sure why not, just that I was eating coconut oil and honey by the spoonful and suddenly fitting into pre-preg jeans that were too tight up until now. I also got some bentonite from the health drug store but haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet.

Does anyone have good resources/links on the zonulin response?

#146 of 254 Old 10-08-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
SCD and dairy - the SCD is pretty dairy heavy, but it's mostly for the probiotics in the yogurt. www.pecanbread.com is the non-dairy version I think LionTigerBear is talking about. (right?) So yes, it's doable non-dairy.
Yup. Sorry I'm kinda : today, I totally forgot there's dairy in her original diet . . . I recommend doing the pecanbread version . . .

#147 of 254 Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the link to the pecanbread thing, I'll have to give that a look-see. Yesterday I started back on the Dr. Elson Haas (not the SCD Dr. Haas) elimination diet, except I threw my back out and by the end of the day all I wanted was a Chipotle burrito bol with sour cream and cheese included! Yeah, I totally hit that. But today I'm starting fresh and I intend to go 100%. I bought a half-gallon of raw milk and some yogurt (which might even be raw - the ingred says "Fresh jersey cow milk") but I haven't made the 24-hr yogurt yet...maybe tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

How's everyone else doing?

We're officially TTC!!!

#148 of 254 Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 PM

Need help with 2 questions-

Do probiotics cause constipation? DD's clock work potty time has changed completely. She currently takes Kirkmans pro gold , Its cultured on inulin of chicory root.What can be done about it/
Another question- Which probiotic is good for clearing thrush. DD's has had it for a a long time now.Do I need to take s. boulardii?

Pari, Student, Job Seeker and mom to K (2006) and A(2011)

#149 of 254 Old 10-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Hi, I have tried skimming through the posts butr maybe you can help me. My NP told me that I have candida based on a blood test. She told me to take diflucan for four weeks while on the "Yeast Connection" diet for 6-8 weeks. Is this the right way to do it? Thanks,
Lisa
#150 of 254 Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 PM

Hi Runningmommy,

I'm new on this forum, so I don't know how much help I can give you. I'm dealing with candida too, and currently feeling very overwhelmed with all the different information and recommendations. I would like to hear how you do on the Diflucan and Yeast Connection diet...I'm slowly phasing out sugar and grains, and I'll see how that helps things. I may also have to give up dairy, but since I'm building for pregnancy I don't want to lose that precious source of Vit A & D and good sat fats, unless I absolutely have to!

We're officially TTC!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page