Does the nutritional data on some food scare you? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
yeah. look up the nutritional info for one of outback's bloomin onions!

Serving Size: whole
Calories: 2310
Total Fat: 134 grams
Carbohydrates: 241 grams
Protein: 35 grams
Oh that's just dismal. I can eat half of one of those suckers by myself! I don't eat them very often though.

My biggest bummer is the blue cheese dressing that I love, it has about 16 grams of fat in one TBSP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 01:34 PM

i'm more worried about GMO food than fat,yk?
here is a website i just found through reading Jane Goodall's excellent book "harvest for hope"...
i thought i would share it with you guys.
http://www.truefoodnow.org/shoppersguide/
#33 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBerry View Post
Oh that's just dismal. I can eat half of one of those suckers by myself! I don't eat them very often though.

My biggest bummer is the blue cheese dressing that I love, it has about 16 grams of fat in one TBSP.
The dressings get me every time too! Wow. I like to have more than a Tbsp of something usually.

I am not fat phobic or anything. I know I need some, and I know it can make my food yummy. I just don't want to go crazy overboard.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#34 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsilva View Post
Try Jack-in-the-Box someday- talk about scary!
Crap!

I ate a small order of stuffed Jalapenos, a medium curly fry and a small chocolate shake yesterday.

Please don't tell me....

I don't wanna know!
#35 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 06:03 PM

Two of my favorite indulgences are not too bad calorie/fat-wise but the ingredient list makes me cringe:

Fresca contains, "Carbonated water, citric acid, concentrated grapefruit juice, potassium citrate, potassium benzoate and EDTA (to protect taste), aspartame, acesulfame potassium, acacia, natural flavors, glycerol ester of wood rosin, brominated vegetable oil, carob bean gum.

WTH is ester of wood rosin in there for?? brominated vegetable oil????? dear god, maybe that's why it is so addictive!Q

My other weakness is flavored coffeemate. mmmmmm but totally gross,

"WATER, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN, COTTONSEED AND/OR COCONUT OIL, COCOA POWDER, SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, INSTANT COFFEE. "

Usually if I cannot pronounce it I do not consume it (once in a whle of course) but these are two of my diet staples.:

\m/

#36 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
It's the oil...I'm really glad I can't look up the nutritional information on some of the stuff I make from scratch. Like the tortellini with cream sauce, which has a cup of cream, half a stick of butter, and a bunch of parmesan cheese for one meal for two people. Eat that with a caesar salad and you're right up there with Spike's onion...
I'm so glad someone else has the same association! I can't think about the blooming onion without Spike. (I am a huge dork).
#37 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 06:13 PM

I think the only thing that worries me is in the ingredients list... hydrogenated fats, mainly, and the ingredients I can hardly pronounce. Calories, fats, carbs... that's all the stuff of life!
#38 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

So all this talk on onion appetizers got my craving onions! I had some sauteed on my lunch lol. Which was much better for me than the Outback's onion I hope.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#39 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 PM

See, when I'm eating pizza or McDonald's : or something like that, I don't worry about the nutritional info. I just enjoy it. And try to eat most meals at home.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#40 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 08:52 PM

Another example: Starbucks has the pumpkin latte again, and I'm sure it has a ton of calories in it. But I don't want to know how many, because then I could never get it again.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#41 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
Another example: Starbucks has the pumpkin latte again, and I'm sure it has a ton of calories in it. But I don't want to know how many, because then I could never get it again.
Well I don't blame you really. But.... just in case you ever change your mind. Oh and here is the lighter one.

It could be worse. Though I guess it depends on what you look for or try to avoid nutritionally.

#42 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
yeah. look up the nutritional info for one of outback's bloomin onions!

Serving Size: whole
Calories: 2310
Total Fat: 134 grams
Carbohydrates: 241 grams
Protein: 35 grams
That was uncalled for.
#43 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Whew, I could be wrong, but I think that's an entree for just one person.
It sure is! A chicken breast smothered in mexi-ranch dressing smothered in cheese served on a bed of fried tortilla strips.

What kills me was when I read the nutritional info from McDonald's and saw how many grams of trans fats were in their sandwiches, fries and apple pies. I can't remember exactly but I remember if you fed your child a chicken nugget happy meal and an apple pie they were getting a crazy amount of trans fats, I think it was around 10 grams.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#44 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCommando View Post
Two of my favorite indulgences are not too bad calorie/fat-wise but the ingredient list makes me cringe:

Fresca contains, "Carbonated water, citric acid, concentrated grapefruit juice, potassium citrate, potassium benzoate and EDTA (to protect taste), aspartame, acesulfame potassium, acacia, natural flavors, glycerol ester of wood rosin, brominated vegetable oil, carob bean gum.

WTH is ester of wood rosin in there for?? brominated vegetable oil????? dear god, maybe that's why it is so addictive!Q

My other weakness is flavored coffeemate. mmmmmm but totally gross,

"WATER, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN, COTTONSEED AND/OR COCONUT OIL, COCOA POWDER, SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, INSTANT COFFEE. "

Usually if I cannot pronounce it I do not consume it (once in a whle of course) but these are two of my diet staples.:
I am addicted to Sunkist Orange soda and French Vanilla Coffee mate (fat free of course).

So count me in to the group addicted to "ester of wood rosin".
#45 of 45 Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mmm wood rosin! Ds just looked up brominated vegetable oil because he drinks some Diet Mt. Dew.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page