What is up with my fingers? Rash, itchy, peely - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-19-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quick background: Maybe 3 or 4 years ago I thought I was allergic to latex because I kept getting this weird rash on my fingers. So I quit the rubber gloves and they improved. Then while I was pregnant I got this weird super rash. It started on one finger and over months it slowly spread to 3 fingers on one hand and 2 and a little of the 3rd on my other. It completely took away my finger prints, was peeling, raised red bumps, sooooo itchy. I actually was worried at one point that my finger nails would fall out.

It FINALLY healed, I mean, after maybe a year. But on my thumbs it would flare up every once in a while, but just a little of the red bumps and itch. Now, all of a suddn it is starting up again on my right index finger (my favorite one!). My finger is actually a little swollen. From my last experience I expect it to just keep spreading and make my fingers look leperous for a year or so.

So, I'm not pregnant. I've done nothing but improve my diet and eliminate toxins everywhere I can find them in the time since this happned. Do you think I'm allergic to something? Is latex somewhere I just don't know about? Is amputation my only hope??

Any thoughts gladly appreciated. A dermatologist is pretty far down on my list of options. For one thing I've tried everything I can think of and it does NOTHING. I'm not willing to put some toxic creams on my fingers for a chance that maybe if I do it long enough it might clear.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Peeling hands/fingers are usually either a yeast infection or an allergy. (could be an allergy to something you've eaten--may not necessarily just be a contact allergy.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 8 Old 09-20-2007, 12:30 AM

I would think contact allergy. What dish soap do you use? Have you been handling papers frequently? (My mom gets a contact allergy from the ink in papers, but she has to be doing a lot of paper shuffling at the office for it to happen.) What about tomatoes? Have you either been handling a lot of tomatoes (from gardening) or eating a lot of tomatoes. I've heard of people with tomato allergies that occur this time of year because they are so plentiful and are being eaten in greater quantities than normal. Ditto for strawberries, but I would think that would be early summer, not fall. Just some ideas.
#4 of 8 Old 09-20-2007, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Would an allergy to something I've eaten take a year to heal on my fingers? I can't think of anything that I have added back into my diet. But I also can't think of anything new that my fingers would have come in contact with. I use non-latex gloves to wash dishes. I have for a few years now.

I've been putting coconut oil on it and trying to soak it in kombucha when I can. I haven't tried that before!

Thanks guys for the help.
-Beth
#5 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 11:40 PM

um I had this for years - exactly as you are describing. My fingers would be so raw they would get painful cracks, bleed and I would break down in tears at times just trying to diaper a baby because it hurt so bad just to handle anything. I eventualy figured out that it is a form of excema - really nasty blistering allergic exema. For me it was dish soap, but it only flared when I was washing my hands constantly (when i had a young baby, when i had been doing alot of work in the barn) also when the air is really dry in winter.
I've been free of my last flare up for about a year now and am just finally getting my fingerprints back (I had 4 fingers on one hand and 3 on the other involved).
As far as a cure- I got a dishwasher, switched to sposie diapers for my youngest to avoid the rinsing and washing that was getting my hands wet(this was only one factor in this).
As far as relief from the itch(which drove me nuts at night) HOT water - as hot as you can stand - when your hands start to itch under the water it is hot enough. This trick releases nautral cortisol to the area and relives the itching and inflamation (only do this twice a day though as the hot water can also irritate the area.
The big thing is to find the trigger, but the trigger may be something that you where exposed to a while ago but are still living with the consequenses.

Good luck - I know your pain.
#6 of 8 Old 09-26-2007, 12:42 AM

Does it start as tiny fluid-filled blisters that itch and burn when they're broken open? Does the skin then thicken and sometimes crack?

I have dyshidrotic eczema. There are a variety of possible triggers, but mine include food allergies and contact allergies.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#7 of 8 Old 09-26-2007, 12:49 AM

i have this too, and it's horrible. it waxes and wanes in intensity/pain but it's been there on my hands (2 fingers on the left, and 3 on the right) for almost a year. sometimes it hurts SO bad, and it cracks and bleeds at times as well. and it's not itchy all the time, but when it is, i can't sleep it's so bad. i'm so sorry that you're all dealing with this as well.

i have found a salve that helps, it is made by a wahm and it has emu oil and some other oils/essential oils in it. if it put it on and wear plastic gloves overnight, it helps tremendously. pm me if you would like info on it.
#8 of 8 Old 09-26-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
Does it start as tiny fluid-filled blisters that itch and burn when they're broken open? Does the skin then thicken and sometimes crack?

I have dyshidrotic eczema. There are a variety of possible triggers, but mine include food allergies and contact allergies.
That's my thought too. It could be eczema.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page