Anesthesia: General versus IV (Twilight) for 2+ hour surgery (on me!)... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2007, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am having foot surgery October 22 to take care of two bunions on my right foot and, possibly, additional work on a nerve problem (same foot).

The bunionectomies will take about 2 1/2 hours. And, if I have the nerve surgery, too, add another hour or so. Ugh, 3 1/2 hours of sedation.........

I have had general anesthesia for my previous surgeries and have an awful time immediately post-op. Nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, woozy - you get the idea. I always warn the recovery room nurses (beforehand) to stand away from me so they don't get soaked! :Puke The sleepiness and wooziness last for hours after I return home (I sleep for hours). All this even though I was given Zofran in my IV during the surgeries. I can't use the scopolomine (sp?) patch as it makes me really ill and dizzy : and just adds to the rest of the yuckiness.

In searching the internet, I found out about IV sedation and it sounds like a wonder! No nausea, no sleepiness, etc. The patients raved about it.

I have severe allergies to most local anesthetics (two cardiac arrests confirmed this : ). However, I can (and, do) use one called Carbocaine for dental surgery with no problems.

I don't care about waking-up with pain (I have a really high pain tolerance). I just hate waking-up feeling so horrible!

I plan on talking to the anesthesiologist prior to the surgery (days before, not immediately before ) to ask about this IV form.

Anyone else had IV sedation for a surgical procedure that lasted 2+ hours??

Please share your anesthesia stories!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i work in the ambulatory surgery department at our hospital. We do not use twilight sleep (MAC anesthesia) for long procedures. 3 1/2 hours is definitely a long procedure!!The only thing our guy will use MAC for is a quick cyst removal or something like that! Besides orthopedic surgery ( which a bunionectomy is) is really horrid to wake up to - which you might with twilight sleep. There are saws and hammers involved in some!! EEEK! GA is really safe with a good anesthesia group. Ask if you can have the ZOfran as well as Decadron ( a steroid) during surgery to help with nausea. Also ask about Reglan before surgery to cut down on nausea after. Our guys use a combo of scop patches , Reglan and Zofran to combat nausea and it usually works really well. hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
i work in the ambulatory surgery department at our hospital. We do not use twilight sleep (MAC anesthesia) for long procedures. 3 1/2 hours is definitely a long procedure!!The only thing our guy will use MAC for is a quick cyst removal or something like that! Besides orthopedic surgery ( which a bunionectomy is) is really horrid to wake up to - which you might with twilight sleep. There are saws and hammers involved in some!! EEEK! GA is really safe with a good anesthesia group. Ask if you can have the ZOfran as well as Decadron ( a steroid) during surgery to help with nausea. Also ask about Reglan before surgery to cut down on nausea after. Our guys use a combo of scop patches , Reglan and Zofran to combat nausea and it usually works really well. hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply!

My dh had MAC when he had his neuroma (foot) removed awhile back. That surgery was for 1 1/2 hours. I was with him when he woke-up. The first thing he said was a request for juice and a muffin! No nausea, no grogginess. I was so jealous!!

I've had the Zofran before, when I had my neuroma removed and when I had my hysterectomy (both with GA). Both times I woke-up in recovery with dizziness, nausea and vomiting (NOT fun with a stapled belly!) and sleepiness that lasted for hours. The scop patch makes me feel the same way (they put it on me in PRE-op and I felt terrible BEFORE I even had an IV in!). I now refuse the patch when offered!!

I will ask the anesthesiologist about the Decadron and the Reglan. Thanks for thse names! Surgery/anesthesia themselves don't scare me. Knowing I will awaken with vomiting DOES!

Hearing saws and hammering wouldn't bug me either if I woke-up during it (I find surgery fascinating!), nor would lying there in one position for such a time (I went through 4 hours in an MRI without moving, surgery would be a breeze!). I really like the sound of the MAC and hope they can do it for this procedure.

Thanks, again, for your reply and input! It really is appreciated!

User Tag List