Terrified! 34 weeks pregnant & 11 month old has "hand foot and mouth disease" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am scared to death. I posted on Wednesday that my 11 month old spiked a sudden fever of 103.4 which fortunately broke by Thursday morning. Then in the afternoon I noticed little red pimple like bumps on her mouth and she wasn't very hungry. I took her to the pediatrician this morning because she didn't want to drink (eating fine) and had the blister like bumps around her mouth. Well, ped wasn't concerned and said she has coxsackie virus i.e. "hand foot and mouth disease" and that it is very common in children and just keep her hydrated as it will resolve itself. I am 34 weeks pregnant and asked if it could harm my fetus and she said "no, you will be fine". Well, of course I started reading on the internet and became extremely scared because it said that it can be cross the placenta and be transmitted from mother to fetus causing severe symptoms including fetal death. I called my high risk OB and he said "it will be okay so don't worry and have a good weekend." I don't know what to believe and I am so scared. Does anyone have any experience with this or information please. I am going to lose my mind with worry.........we got this far that I am terrified something will go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Well...I just went to put Adam (my two year old) to bed and he felt hot so I took his temp and it was 103.4 so apparently he is in the active phase of this virus too. Any ideas? I know that it will usually run its course in kids but I just can't stop obsessing that my fetus is going to get infected too which can supposedly (according to the internet) have dire consequences if it crosses the placenta or is transmitted at birth. :
Old 09-21-2007, 11:34 PM

please relax! Chances are very very good that your baby will be just fine. You had two professionals tell you not to worry..... Take care to wash your hands after you take care of your little guy. I bet the risk is only if YOU actually get the illness, which chances are you already have an immunity to it. Its mainly a childhood illness, I have never heard of an adult getting it. Even at that, the chances of you baby being ok are still great seeing as you are already at 34 weeks. Most of the development is done with, weight just needs to be gained at this point. The baby will be fine. I have a good feeling (and I'm always right about my feelings.)
Old 09-22-2007, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My DS came down with hand foot and mouth disease when I was in my 3rd trimester with DD, I don't remember exactly when. He got over it in about a week and everything was fine with me and the babe. Good luck!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

User Tag List