21-day SUGAR-FREE Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So it's been a whole year since we started the original challenge.

As I was out for a walk today, jonezin' for some sugar, I thought back to last winter when a bunch of us took a 21 day sugar-free challenge, beginning Oct 1. I always feel fall is a time of letting go of that which no longer serves us. Well sugar is no longer serving me! I can't believe how this nasty white stuff has found its way back into my life full-force.

I'm thinking of starting another 21 day challenge Oct 1.

Anyone else interested?

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 10:44 PM

Since that means I could still have cake on my son's 1st birthday, I would be interested. I've been thinking about doing this anyway, after realizing that I have absolutely NO control over myself.

<>< Alison
Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really want to do this! I need to cut down on my sugar badly, because I have PCOS and insulin resistance and I'm gained about 10 pounds. One thing, though - is there any way I can sweeten my tea with SOMETHING? I hate plain tea.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 AM

Stevia, a plant that is sweet. You can buy it powdered at healthfood stores and a little goes a long way...it works really well.

However, if you take the sugar-challenge chances are after a while you will not miss it.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 AM

Hmm...I may be in. I'll think about it

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 09-26-2007, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

I KNOW its hard to give up sugar but I found a tremendous amount of support here last time I did it. We are all in it together! I think its really helpful to think of this as a 21 day challenge--it doesn't have to be FOREVER in our minds because FOREVER is a terrifying concept in itself.

There are a few things I learned last year when I did this:

1. Fat curbs sugar cravings like nothing else! Avocados and cheese saved me! For the first few days I ate A LOT but it did stabilize after the first hellish week.
2. I also realized that refined carbs activated sugar cravings so I really avoided them as well.
3. Medjool dates are heaven sent goodness!
4. I avoided even natural sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, barley malt) for the detox period. Once I drank a whole bottle of maple syrup in desperation so enough of that!
5. Ewwwww stevia. I found I was chasing sweetness with it instead of allow the subtle sweetness in whole foods reveal itself to me. YAY beets, carrots and sweet potatoes!
6. Tea and milk is yummy yummy!

ummm..can't think of much else right now. Someone posted 144 evils of sugar that helped keep me on track when I was feeling weak.

Has anyone else been through a detox before? Any tips to add?

Girls, we can do this! I know we can!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
Old 09-26-2007, 03:31 PM

Can you tell me what exactly the guidelines are?
I am interested about trying it myself.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamefati28 View Post
Can you tell me what exactly the guidelines are?
I am interested about trying it myself.
I think everyone's guidelines are a little different. For me it is no refined or artifical sweeteners but fruits are fair game. I am also going off processed grains.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:58 PM

I'd like to do it too.
I am not up for the hard core anti-candida diet where not only do you not eat sugar, but also no fruit,bread,rice potatoes,anything that turns into sugar.
I probably should do that but for the moment i'd like to totally cut out all cane sugar both refinded and raw organic. I will still eat fruit,grains,and even a few healthy "treats" every now and then as long as they are sweetened only with dates or agave nectar.
If I did that would I still be taking the challenge?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 PM

i'm in! i'm going to try for the candida diet, but i know i won't keel over if a little fruit slips in.

sarah
Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM

Ack! I'd love to join, but I'm getting married on Oct 13- and can't see myself not eating cake!! Or all kinds of yummy food while we're out on our honey moon!

But, I'll join the next one! I always feel better when I drop the sugar out!
Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM

I would be in to this. I wonder if agave counts as sugar though since it digests like a complex carb. I don't know if I could do tea without it. I might try no sugar and no salt as well. I have been putting way too much salt on my food for years.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
I would be in to this. I wonder if agave counts as sugar though since it digests like a complex carb. I don't know if I could do tea without it. I might try no sugar and no salt as well. I have been putting way too much salt on my food for years.
I'd caution against agave nectar for the detox period. It is still refined (as in removed from its original source and concentrated). I know it has a low glycemic index but still--I find if I chase that sweetness, the pain of the addict stays active.

Dates are fair game with me and so are LARA bars!

I don't think anyone should be turned away from the challenge but I think we should make a fair effort for the 21 days!

What do you all think?

Old 09-27-2007, 05:08 PM

Hi animus_silvae........

I tried to do this last time. And I was really bad.

But I'll try again. Glad I have a few days to get some snacks together...nuts and cheese. Any other ideals? You know when someone says no sugar.... I really want it!! And I just got home from the grocery store with chocolate bars!!

But I know the sugar thing is bad. Last year when everyone did this I learned a lot.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:18 PM

My tips would be:
  • Spell out exactly what this means for you. What's allowed and what's not.
  • Make a list of your favorite allowed foods and post it where you can see it.
  • Plan your menu. Expect at least 3 meals and 2 snacks a day.
  • Commit to doing it full force for 3 weeks. It takes 3 weeks to form a habit. Once the habit is formed, it gets much easier.
  • Get the sweet stuff out of the house. Especially if you have temptation problems. Nobody in the house needs it and they won't die for not having it available for 3 weeks.
  • The first few days expect to feel constantly hungry. This is normal. Eat something that has fat and protein, nuts, cheese, hardboiled egg are all good.
  • Read all your labels. Hidden HFCS can stimulate craving, and you won't even know why.

I think that's it for now. I'm here to support you all, share recipes, etc. I've been sugar free for about 3 months now, so I don't feel I need to join the challenge necessarily, but I know how hard it is. If anyone needs meal ideas or recipe help, I'm more than willing to help.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM

I am in!...

started my own pledge yesterday (well today actually) yesterday was my birthday and you know..... . I have been mostly sugar free all summer, so it doesn't even taste that good, but the cravings are more than I can handle at times.
I really have to get away from grains as well, not completly, but basically. I do use stevia, I try not to use tons. I do agree that tea and milk taste almost as good as with sugar.
Fat helps me as well. Avocado, coconut oil and BUTTER! That is the TF in me!
I am going to use a lot of positive speaking to myself this time "I feel great without Sugar!" "There is no space for sugar in my life anymore!" etc....

Thanks for starting this again! I lurked last year.
Love,
Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM

I'm in! Trying this again, I tried not long ago and failed miserably!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 09-27-2007, 05:35 PM

Wow look at everyone here.

cristeen yes please, menus and snack ideal.

Everyone snack ideals, I love snacks.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:54 PM

This is exactly what I need right now. I'm so in.

I work in a bakery, so this will be a bit of a challenge. My rules will allow for the occasionaly refined flour product (like a buttered roll at work) but no refined sugar at all. Fruit, potatoes, and other carbs are okay, but not honey, maple syrup or other natural (or artificial) sweeteners/sugars.

Thank you for starting this up again. :
Old 09-27-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna06 View Post
cristeen yes please, menus and snack ideal.
My two favorite make-ahead things to make for breakfast are Egg Custards or
Egg Muffins. I can make these on the weekend and we eat them all week.

Egg Custard
For each custard you will need:
2 eggs
1/2 c dairy (whole milk, half & half, cream or a combo)
2 Tbs equivalent sweetener (I use honey because that's allowed for me)
splash of vanilla or other flavor
fruit (fresh or frozen), nut and/or spices of choice
oven-safe bowl that will hold approx 1 c

I generally make 4 or 5 at a time. Place the bowls into a roasting pan with sides. In the bottom of each bowl, put your fruit or nuts in a single layer. Scramble together the eggs, dairy, sweetener, vanilla. Distribute evenly between the bowls. Sprinkle the bowls with spice if desired. Put about an inch of cold water into the roasting pan so it comes about halfway up the sides of the bowls. Bake at 300F for 60 minutes. If you're using frozen fruit, add another 10 minutes to that. Pull the pan out of the oven, let them sit until you can handle them without burning. Wipe the bowls dry and refrigerate (I don't even cover them). One bowl = 1 breakfast.

Some combos we like:
blueberries with vanilla
raspberries with vanilla and cardamom
bananas (mashed into the eggs) with cinnamon
Slivered almonds with almond extract
Sliced peach with vanilla

Egg Muffins
You will need a muffin tin (silicone works much better, don't use paper liners)
For each cup in the muffin tin you will need:
1 egg
chopped meat and/or veggie (about 1 Tbs total)
shredded cheese, if desired
salt, pepper, tabasco, etc.

In the bottom of each cup place your chopped meat and/or veggie. You can scramble your eggs up or just crack them into each muffin cup, both are good, just offer different textures. Add salt, pepper, tabasco, whatever. Top with a sprinkling of shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. If you're using silicone, let them cool in the pan. If you're using metal, get them out of the pan while still warm (not hot)... if you wait until they cool, they will glue themselves to the pan.

Some combos we like:
pepperoni, olives and mozzarella
ham, green onions and cheddar
turkey, green chiles and jack

For snacks, deviled eggs are great make-aheads. Roasted nuts, cubed cheese. For a while I would take a chunk of pastrami and a chunk of cheese, cube them, toss them in a tupperware bowl and just grab a handful when I was hungry. Make yourself a bowl of dip (cream cheese, sour cream or mayo based, you need the fat), keep it in the fridge with carrots, celery, bell peppers, jicama, endive, etc. and just take a couple bites when you get hungry.

After dinner, if you feel a sugar craving, chop up some fruit and cover it with heavy cream with a sprinkling of cinnamon or cardamom. The spice helps trick your mind into thinking it's sweeter than it is, the fruit has some sugar and the fat helps kill the craving. That way you don't feel deprived.

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 09-27-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlwons View Post
Fat helps me as well. Avocado, coconut oil and BUTTER! That is the TF in me!
DEFINITELY! I'm a TFer too (though a slack one lately).

I am so, so grateful for all the support we are building here. I actually bought the Willd Rose detox kit to start on the 1st too. Might as well kill 6 birds with one stone.

I also bought a monster tub of medjool dates to prepare. Another great treat are IZZE drinks! YUM YUM!

Ladies, we are going to feel so fabulous!

Old 09-28-2007, 12:31 AM

I love the Synergy Kambucha drinks...the ginger one (which helps my tummy) only has 2 grams of sugar in it. I know they use sugar to grow the Kambucha, but I think most of it is eaten by the time it gets in the drink. 2 grams!!! I love them....
Today the positive thoughts really helped. I am going to have a piece of baked oatmeal with maple syrup and cream, right now, but it isn't the 1st right?

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:45 AM

I'm in! I was on a anti-candida diet a few months ago and after the first few days I did not crave sugar AT ALL. It was wonderful. Then we had DS's birthday party and a few other things, and it all led to a downward spiral. But I'm trying to get healthy, get my cycle on track and TTC, so I really need this. I'm getting back to TF (going to the farm tomorrow for some raw milk, eggs and butter!) and will be on board with you all.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm actually in the process of giving give up sugar, and I'm trying to decide what that means for me. I know I will continue to eat fruit, possibly some dried fruit (without added sugar), root vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes. I will eat Ezekiel bread, sprouted grain tortillas and possibly corn very infrequently, which is about how I eat it now. If I add in stuff like agave nectar, I'll do that after awhile. About the only time I use agave nectar is to sweeten yogurt because the yogurt can get really sour after awhile, and adding fruit to the yogurt doesn't always quite cut it. I did try baking with it once, and what I made turned out well.

I'm not sure about the other grains. I used to do pretty well eating brown rice and bulghur wheat, but for the time being I'm not sure. The problem I am having is I don't want to start eating too much meat and cheese. I actually did buy a fair amount of meat recently: some organic beef and organic chicken, turkey breast (which I roasted tonight), seafood. I am hoping it will last me for awhile. I also bought some jarlsburg at my youngest daughter's request, and I find that is satisfying without making me want other things. Sometimes I feel like cheese can make me crave other things more, but a little bleu cheese can go a long way when I need a strong flavor, so I add it to salads sometimes.

But in general, I want to eat beans and nuts, nut butters and things like that, not *just* meat and dairy, because the latter is just not sustainable for me over the long term.

My biggest issue I have with sugar addiction is white flour combined with some of those salty, savory flavorings that make me crave more. Like if I buy crunchy snackfoods made from puffed corn or flour or potatoes--it's just not a good scene. I wasn't eating a lot of bread, and I'd actually go for weeks on one loaf, but now my children are eating more sandwiches and I have found myself eating more bread in the past year or so. White or whole wheat, it almost doesn't matter, but it has come back into my diet in a big way, and I want to get back to eating more whole foods. The Ezekiel bread is a concession, and I don't eat it in large quantities (although the ezekiel english muffins are kind of tempting, actually).

When I've done this before, I found that when I had a sugar craving, something like a cup of teecino with some creamer (soy or half & half) would stave it off nicely. Or a spoonful of Artisana raw coconut butter...very satisfying.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 AM

"The Ezekiel bread is a concession, and I don't eat it in large quantities (although the ezekiel english muffins are kind of tempting, actually)."

I soooo agree with this! I don't do well with many grains, especially refined at all. (was okay with brown rice pasta, but not anymore). I am going to stay away from them, but keep the occational Ezekiel available to me.

I have been eating a Candida diet and have been eating a lot of meat. I want to keep it balanced, so I really think adding the FATS are soooooo important!

Kathleen

Old 09-28-2007, 10:40 AM

I am in. I am currently reading Sugar Busters. I am just deciding what the no sugar diet is so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

When are beginning the challenge?

Elizabeth
Old 09-28-2007, 11:15 AM

I'm in! I need to do this
Old 09-28-2007, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
oops, forgot to sub. Subbing now. It was a pretty good day.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:42 AM

Well I decided As of October 1 I will try to go completly no sugar for a while meaning I'll have to cut out fruit and agave nectar too as well as refined flour and white rice.

My husband will be trying to do the challenge with me too!

BTW There is a type of bread called Manna bread that has no sugar no flour.It is made from sprouted grains and seeds. It is slightly sweet and has a cakey texture. You can apparantly have it on an anti candida diet.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:28 AM

Okay, I'm in!

Cutting out white sugar and HFCS. Honey is only sweetener. Going to still eat fruit.

What turns into sugar? White flour? I'll cut that out. What else?

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

User Tag List