Raw, red throat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I woke up yesterday morning with a raw, red, painful throat. Well, I can't actually see it myself, but it feels like it has in the past when a dr has told me my throat was bright red.

So all day yesterday my throat hurt, and was worse when I talked, swallowed, or yawned. It hurt to swallow cold liquids, and hot liquids were soothing. It was hard to drink enough at all, but I made an effort to keep taking small sips of lukewarm water throughout the day. During the course of the day I took about 5 grams of vitamin C (Trader Joe's ascorbic acid crystals mixed with baking soda in water to make sodium ascorbate.)

Today I'm not feeling much better. A nice warm shower and liberal use of the neti pot gave me temporary relief this morning. So far today I've taken 2 grams of vitamin C and ate one small clove of raw garlic. I have a huge cup of lukewarm water next to me to remind me to drink.

Is there anything else I could or should be doing? I'm hesitant to go to the doctor because I know she'll probably prescribe antibiotics and I only take those when absolutely necessary.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#2 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is exactly what I have... along with crud and congestion. My throat was so raw and painful the other night that I couldn't swallow and it hurt to freakin' breathe. :

I'm slowly getting better. I'm doing the same things you are. I've also been doing echinacea drops and silver spray directly on the throat. Also the warm salt water gargle - which I hate... makes me gag but is somewhat soothing for a little while afterwards anyway.

I'm so worried that my 4.5 mo will get this. She already has a little bit of a runny nose. Today I'm going out to buy a humidifier/vaporizer.

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#3 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 12:22 PM

You're doing pretty much what you should be. It just can take a few days for your body to get better. I'd say a week out or significant worsening is the only way I'd go to the doctor. I hope you get feeling better soon!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#4 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Good old chidken soup! The chicken bones are full of great minerals. Then you can add lots of garlic, thyme, basil (fresh if possible) and ginger. Great antivirals and antibacterial. If you can get to the health food store, get yourself some echnachia and goldenseal tincture (drop it directly on the back of your throat undiluted in juice). I'd get zinc lozengers (if you are not pregnant!) too if you can take the taste, if not get tablets. Avoid anything sugary, including orange juice. I know it has vit C, but it also contains lots of sugars that reduce the ability of white blood cells to do their job. I hope you feel better soon!

#5 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I've got some soup simmering on the stove, but it's not ready to eat yet. I put in all the veggie peelings I saved from the week, plus chicken bones from 2 chickens we ate in the past week (along with the onion and ginger I cooked them with.)

I didn't think about adding garlic or ginger to it- there's already some ginger in there though.

#6 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 01:03 PM

raw honey My mom used to give us honey for colds. A big heaping spoonful. The good bacteria help coat your throat.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#7 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 01:14 PM

I was gonna say honey also. With some hot water?

I had this last week. I couldn't even move my tongue to the left side of my mouth without it hurting.

Feel better mama!
#8 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by race_kelly View Post
Avoid anything sugary, including orange juice. I know it has vit C, but it also contains lots of sugars that reduce the ability of white blood cells to do their job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
raw honey My mom used to give us honey for colds. A big heaping spoonful. The good bacteria help coat your throat.
I don't even keep juice in the house, as I've been on a low-carb diet for several months. Besides, I can't imagine what acidic OJ would do to my throat right now!

I have a question about the honey- isn't it mostly sugar? I know the raw kind (the only kind I keep in the house) has enzymes and stuff- but is the sugar in honey a bad idea if I'm sick?

#9 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 01:19 PM

I find hot tea with raw honey to be very soothing. Be careful, tho'- if it's strep, untreated strep can lead to scarlet fever. If you aren't better by the day after tomorrow, see a doctor. In fact, if you aren't improving by tommorrow, I'd make an appt.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#10 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 01:22 PM

I had/have that too.

It started last Sat. Sun it was the worst combined with zero energy to do anything. Sat I took 4000mg of Vit C & 8 1250mg tablets of garlic. Sun, I took 12000mg of Vit C & 12 1250 mg tablets of garlic, plus had some homemade chicken soup from the freezer & garlic roast chicken, garlic mashed potatoes for supper.

Sun night my throat hurt the worst, Monday morning I woke up & it no longer hurt. It's moved into my nose/lungs but least my throat doesn't hurt.
#11 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Do you think you could gargle with salt water? I always do this with a sore throat and it brings a lot of pain relief.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#12 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I'm feeling a little bit better right now- as long as I don't try to talk. I quickly felt "not better" when DS was home for a short while and needed my attention!

OK, I'm going in for a nap.

#13 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Here's my remedy for you:

4 oz of good mineral water (warm)
1 - 2 tablespoons of raw unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
2 -3 tablespoons of raw lemon juice
2 -4 tablespoons of raw unheated honey

drink several times a day.

Ruthla, raw unheated honey is fine. It's the heated stuff with the insulin-type substance and the enzymes killed off that is radical sugar. It is best to blend to get the honey dissolved in the mixture.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#14 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 03:29 PM

Ginger tea works really well. You can also just chew and swallow some ginger(but it is spciy). Another thing that I found works really well i taking grapesfruit seed extract several times a day when I have a sore throat in addition to raw garlic cloves.
Hope you feel better soon!
#15 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

I just had a cup of ginger tea with honey, but unfortunately that was the last bag of ginger tea in the house. We still have peppermint, green tea, decaf black tea and regular black tea in the house. We have apple cider vinegar but no fresh lemons.

I couldn't nap. As icky as I feel sitting up, I felt just as icky lying down and I couldn't fall asleep.

#16 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 04:43 PM

If you want a fast cure, here are some things that work better than anything I've ever tried.

1) If you have some, or can get some, tea with slippery elm in it is very soothing to the throat.

2) Drink hot tea with lemon and honey in it. DO NOT speak. Talking will make your throat worse. You can whisper, even loudly, if you have to but NO talking for at least a day if you can. This should cure it in a matter of hours in most cases.

Sugar in honey is not bad. In fact, the whole sugar feeding bacteria when you are sick is an urban myth. Your body can also really do with the extra energy to help fight off whatever you have, so eat as much sugar or honey as you like.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#17 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When my throat hurts and it's a cold or something like that, I find eating raw garlic helps a lot.

When it is something like strep, I have to drink apple cider vinegar to get any relief, if I can't get anti-biotics. Uccomama's remedy sounds better. I also sometimes take a cotton swab doused in tea tree oil and swab the back fo my throat.
#18 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
If you want a fast cure, here are some things that work better than anything I've ever tried.

Sugar in honey is not bad. In fact, the whole sugar feeding bacteria when you are sick is an urban myth. Your body can also really do with the extra energy to help fight off whatever you have, so eat as much sugar or honey as you like.
Actually, you are correct. Sugar does not feed bacteria. What it does is impair fuction of the white blood cells by taking the place of vitimin
C on for transport sites into the white blood cells. Decreased vitamin C levels due to excessive sugar consumption can cause a significant reduction in the way white blood cells function. It is not in any way, shape, or form a good idea to eat a large amount of sugar or honey or any other natural sources like juice when you have a cold, or when you are sick in general. Your body is very capable of producing energy to fight off infection without large amounts of sugar, and your immune system reacts more efficiently without it.

#19 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I have lozenges with slippery elm bark in them, but I don't have it in tea form.

I had a couple mugs of chicken broth with some powdered ginger added to it.

#20 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Actually, you are correct. Sugar does not feed bacteria. What it does is impair fuction of the white blood cells by taking the place of vitimin
C on for transport sites into the white blood cells. Decreased vitamin C levels due to excessive sugar consumption can cause a significant reduction in the way white blood cells function. It is not in any way, shape, or form a good idea to eat a large amount of sugar or honey or any other natural sources like juice when you have a cold, or when you are sick in general. Your body is very capable of producing energy to fight off infection without large amounts of sugar, and your immune system reacts more efficiently without it.
Well, I didn't mean you should ENGORGE yourself on sugar

I just mean that you don't have to cut sugar out of your diet when you are sick. Some honey in your tea won't hurt you.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#21 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I just had a cup of ginger tea with honey, but unfortunately that was the last bag of ginger tea in the house. We still have peppermint, green tea, decaf black tea and regular black tea in the house. We have apple cider vinegar but no fresh lemons.

I couldn't nap. As icky as I feel sitting up, I felt just as icky lying down and I couldn't fall asleep.
Peppermint tea would be good too. Mints are antibacterial and antiviral. Make some and then lean over it with a towel over your head for as long as you can stand it. Then drink it when it is warm. It should help clear out your sinuses too.

#22 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
It is not in any way, shape, or form a good idea to eat a large amount of sugar or honey or any other natural sources like juice when you have a cold, or when you are sick in general. Your body is very capable of producing energy to fight off infection without large amounts of sugar, and your immune system reacts more efficiently without it.
This is not true of raw unheated honey. Raw, unheated honey contains an insulin-like substance which converts 90% of the carbohydrate necter into enzymes, it does not act in body the same way as any other type of sugar, natural or not. However, once the honey is heated above 93º F, then the insulin-like subtance begins to be altered and by 100º F, it is destroyed and by 104º F, honey is radical sugar and has no healing properties at all. So putting honey in hot tea to sweeten it, is just the same as putting sugar in.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#23 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I don't even keep juice in the house, as I've been on a low-carb diet for several months. Besides, I can't imagine what acidic OJ would do to my throat right now!

I have a question about the honey- isn't it mostly sugar? I know the raw kind (the only kind I keep in the house) has enzymes and stuff- but is the sugar in honey a bad idea if I'm sick?
I think it's ok But my mom always gave it to us. I would think a tblsp or so wouldn't hurt.

I agree with the above post
Plus, I think good bacteria is always a good idea when you are fighting something, especially since you could directly apply it to your mouth/throat- an area that is apparently suffering. It can't hurt.

#24 of 26 Old 09-30-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
Well, I didn't mean you should ENGORGE yourself on sugar

I just mean that you don't have to cut sugar out of your diet when you are sick. Some honey in your tea won't hurt you.
to get the good effect desired with a sore throat, it would be best to drink the warm tea, and then take honey every few hours, a big spoonful, and let it coat your mouth and throat slowly.

#25 of 26 Old 10-01-2007, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

My throat doesn't hurt right now, but I'm still resting my voice. I'd like to KEEP my throat not hurting! I'm planning to continue the apple cider vinegar, the vitamin C, and the raw garlic.

Last night I became very congested, which I wasn't before. Does this mean that the virus is moving up and out?

#26 of 26 Old 10-01-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
My throat doesn't hurt right now, but I'm still resting my voice. I'd like to KEEP my throat not hurting! I'm planning to continue the apple cider vinegar, the vitamin C, and the raw garlic.

Last night I became very congested, which I wasn't before. Does this mean that the virus is moving up and out?
sounds like it. feel better soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page