21-day SUGAR-FREE Challenge: Week 1 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 10-04-2007, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenB View Post
OK, I have a question. What about Ezekiel bread? Just how bad is it? I bought my first loaf last week and dd (19) and I love it! I really think she'll never eat white bread again. I notice alot of people are giving up grains. I'm trying to cut back on mine but don't want to give up a couple of weekly slices of this. I really want to curb my cravings for sugar and I know I need to go through a detox period first. Should I cut this out for awhile? Any advice is appreciated! I'm new to all of this and it is very confusing. I'm trying really hard to get rid of this fatigue and lethargy!
It really depends on your body. Can you handle grains without getting cravings for sugar? I can't, so I don't eat grains. It doesn't hurt to detox from all of it for a few weeks and then slowly add it back in and see what happens, but ultimately it's your call.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#32 of 46 Old 10-04-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
It really depends on your body. Can you handle grains without getting cravings for sugar? I can't, so I don't eat grains. It doesn't hurt to detox from all of it for a few weeks and then slowly add it back in and see what happens, but ultimately it's your call.
I agree. I try to avoid grains now, except for a little bit of rice with meals that call for it (curries, etc.).

With that said, today I had two gluten-free buns and 1/2 of a gluten-free chocolate chip cookie. It was our weekly trip to my parents' house for lunch. My mom is so nice to try to accomodate our eating habits and I usually cave and have stuff I normally wouldn't. I wasn't even going to have the cookie, but DS ate half and then gave the rest to me, saying, "Mommy eat it." So you can see how I had no choice...

Anyway, I can't say it was a sugar-free day, but I don't feel too bad since normally I would have scarfed down multiple cookies and felt horrible afterwards.

Tomorrow could be challenging, since we're meeting friends at a coffee shop (but luckily we're just planning on meeting there and then taking a walk). Maybe I'll bring my own drink from home and finally have a no-spend day, too!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#33 of 46 Old 10-05-2007, 10:58 PM

Another successful day! I'm feeling really good, except for the lack-of-sleep-due-to-a-night-nursing-toddler thing. But really, I hope I can keep this up!

#34 of 46 Old 10-06-2007, 12:08 AM

[QUOTE=cristeen;933791Unless the sushi was made with brown rice, the white rice can cause cravings. Also, imitation crab does contain sugar (most of it has HFCS), and that is usually what's being used in items like California Rolls. QUOTE]

What is HFCS? Yes DS(9) Loves California Rolls. I had a feeling they are not so good. Definately a no no for a no sugar diet. I have not had any since.

Otherwise I have been good about not eating any sweets but cutting out grain completely has not been possible up to now.
Today we had Lentils with brown rice and fried onion for dinner along with a salad of Romaine,cucumbers,tomatoes,green onions,parsley,garlic,mint,lemon juice and olive oil.
#35 of 46 Old 10-06-2007, 10:53 AM

yesterday i had some dried fruit in my salad and other fruit throughout the day. thursday i had 3 dumplings and 5 cookies so there's improvement! today i'm striving for no dried fruit and only 3 servings of regular fruit.

i have made the switch to plain yogurt with frozen berries though. small steps, i guess...

sarah
#36 of 46 Old 10-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Anyone else still eating honey?

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#37 of 46 Old 10-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildecat View Post
honey?! ack! begone, thou foul demon temptress!

so far only .5 banana and 1 peach.

sarah
#38 of 46 Old 10-06-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Yep. Really Raw Honey.

-----
Today and Thursday were good.
Yesterday I had 3 sips of my DP's Pepsi because it looked SO GOOD.

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#39 of 46 Old 10-06-2007, 11:59 PM

Another good day.

I have a confession to make, though -- I get through the day by eating huge spoonfuls of cashew-macademia nut butter. Not constantly, but a few a day. It's all natural, no sugar-added, so it's technically not a problem. Sooooo yummy, though.

#40 of 46 Old 10-07-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post
What is HFCS? Yes DS(9) Loves California Rolls. I had a feeling they are not so good. Definately a no no for a no sugar diet. I have not had any since.
High Fructose Corn Syrup AKA the worst form of sugar available. If they're made with real crab, it's not a problem, but very few places use the real stuff. If it's white and/or orangey-pink then it's fake... if it's beige-tan it's real.

Quote:
Yup! Honey and maple syrup both. In small quantities however. Just replacing sugar with honey doesn't solve the issue... I only use honey in those things that really *must* be sweetened (like my tea).

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
I have a confession to make, though -- I get through the day by eating huge spoonfuls of cashew-macademia nut butter. Not constantly, but a few a day. It's all natural, no sugar-added, so it's technically not a problem. Sooooo yummy, though.
Mmmm... love that stuff. I've known many a person to get past the cravings by munching on it, as a matter of fact. Nuts are definitely better to be snacking on than sugar!

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#41 of 46 Old 10-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Still doing well here. I had a couple of sips of soda yesterday (bad, I know) and half of a slice of thin crust pizza, but other than that, no sugar or refined carbs. Been eating a ton of eggs (with sour cream - mmmm). This week we're getting our first delivery of organic produce from Door to Door Organics, and I'm looking forward to eating more veggies. Hope everyone else is doing well, too.`
#42 of 46 Old 10-07-2007, 04:03 PM

I am doing good and sticking with my goals. I have been eating organic whole wheat breads and they have not caused any sugar cravings. Still eating a square of chocolate here and there. I am soo hungry all the time due to being pregnant but have been making very healthy choices this month.
DH is also doing well and has lost 7 lbs and is feeling like a new person.
This was a great idea!

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#43 of 46 Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 PM

I made it through Thanksgiving( we are in Canada and our Thanksgiving is October 8) with no pumpkin pie no cranberry sauce!
As I've said I've been good about no sweets,including fruit, but have not been able to give up grains completey.
Got any tips anyone?
#44 of 46 Old 10-08-2007, 10:51 PM

Another good day. Though I'm eating cashew butter right now. :

#45 of 46 Old 10-09-2007, 12:15 AM

dh brought home a free coffee crumb cake from work saturday night so i shared a slice with dd yesterday. : on the plus side, i felt :Puke after eating it that i didn't want any more. today i had 3 bites (i was so tired my knees were hurting) and dd & i shared 2 stonyfield yogurts at costco after shopping. i figured it was better than getting a strawberry sundae.

i'm going to try to remember the cashew butter. hopefully, i can get a run of good days.

will this be a monthly challenge?

sarah
#46 of 46 Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 PM

I've been doing SO well! But right now I'm having a major sugar craving. And there are tootsie rolls in a bowl right next to me. (I work at a public desk so they're for the people that come to me requesting assistance). I want one!

I know if I eat one I'll eat the bowl.

I don't care. Mmmm sugar. Give me sugar!

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page