21-day SUGAR-FREE Challenge: Week 1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 10-01-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well here we go!

So far, so good.

I had some pizza at 3am before doing my paper route but no sugar. I am looking forward to enjoying stable blood sugar levels and no longer feeding the not-so-sweet little monkey on my back.

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#2 of 46 Old 10-01-2007, 01:30 PM

So far today I ate:

Breakfast- 1/2 sprouted english muffin w/ pumpkinseed butter
strawberries, kiwis, bannana
glass of O.J
Lunch- Super healthy salad w/
Greens, broccoli, avacado, cottage cheese, hard boiled egg, beans
nutritional yeast and Amy's org. Balsamic vinegar dressing
Snack- Homemade organic veggie juice

For dinner I will make vegetarian spagetti with whole wheat noodles, veggies, pesto, and tomato sauce. Some parm cheese too.
No sugar!! Not even chocolate which I have been eating everyday of my pregnancy. LO will really appreciate my dietary changes!

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#3 of 46 Old 10-01-2007, 03:00 PM

I just made homemade granola bars with just a touch of agave for sweetness. They are so damn healthy!

#4 of 46 Old 10-01-2007, 04:09 PM

Twelve o'clock and all's well! I had a wee bit of sucanat on my oatmeal this morning (I even soaked the oatmeal, whoo!) and a smoothie made with yogurt, milk, banana, blueberries and blackberries. I just ate a few macadamia nuts and for lunch I'm going to have a salad and a small grilled cheese sandwich (cause my bread is stale, it'd be yucky if it wasn't grilled).

For dinner tonight we are having chicken, cauliflower, corn, and a special special treat - LOBSTER MUSHROOMS!!! I went on a little mushroom foraging hike with DD this morning and we found more than enough for dinner. I will do them in a sherry cream sauce with thyme. Mmmmm... so looking forward to that!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#5 of 46 Old 10-01-2007, 07:00 PM

Bleh. Day one and I broke it already. I had breakfast, lunch, supper, and snacks planned out with no sugar.

Then DP hands me a Pepsi. :

Oh well, I'll start again tomorrow.

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#6 of 46 Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 PM

I blew it today too, I had sprite at lunch. But, I threw it up, does that count?

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#7 of 46 Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did really well today. No sugar or refined carborhydrates at all, but I did have an apple with breakfast and mashed potatoes with dinner.

Going grocery shopping tomorrow for more veggies and lower-sugar fruit like berries.
#8 of 46 Old 10-01-2007, 09:35 PM

No sugar here today. For me this means no grains (except for a little rice if it's "needed" in a meal, i.e. with a curry dish), no dried fruit, no sweeteners except for stevia and molasses (in warm milk), no desserts/candy/ice cream/etc.

I upped my fats and had tea and some other warm, comforting drinks. So far so good.

I did this successfully this past summer for over a month-and-a-half straight, and it was fabulous. I didn't even crave sweet things at all after the first few days, my skin looked amazing and my joints didn't hurt anymore. I'm hoping to get back to that...

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#9 of 46 Old 10-02-2007, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I didn't really do so well the last 2 days. Well, heck, even Saturday. I went to a potluck and I didn't eat dessert, but I did eat some cornchips and pasta salad.

For the potluck I made banana bread which called for 1/2 a cup honey, and I ended up putting in a little honey and the rest agave nectar. I used coconut butter for the oil, added a little unsweetened applesauce for moistness, and then the bananas. And instead of walnuts, I used chopped hazelnuts. I also used whole wheat flour. Now the bread didn't taste particularly sweet, even considering the agave nectar which I normally find fairly sweet. I didn't eat much of it until today, when I ended up eating a couple big hunks of it with butter because I was hungry.

Tonight I made shredded barbecued chicken. I wasn't going to add barbecue sauce to mine because of the sugar, but I forgot and added some to the whole pan. It really wasn't very much, however, and I decided to add more when I served it to my kids. I went out and got myself a sugarless buffalo wing sauce and used that to flavor mine, and had that on a sprouted grain english muffin. And I ate some raw spinach. Then I ate some potatoes. Oh well, I said I would eat potatoes once in awhile.
#10 of 46 Old 10-02-2007, 02:57 AM

i fell off today while we were out longer than planned. tomorrow will be at home and better.

sarah
#11 of 46 Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 PM

O.k, so I ate too much chocolate today but I have been craving it my whole pregnancy. I will start fresh tomorrow. 36 weeks pg. 4 weeks left and I want to eat properly. No refined sugar, caffiene, or anything that I
know makes me feel yucky!

How is everyone else doing??

#12 of 46 Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 PM

Another good day. No sugar; just a little bit of rice with dinner.

#13 of 46 Old 10-02-2007, 10:11 PM

I have been leaning towards going sugar-free for that last week or so hoping it will improve my energy levels. I absolutely crave sweets (oddly, though, not chocolate) and carbs so I'm trying to wean myself away from anything refined or processed. Can someone tell me what guidelines you are using for this challenge? What is acceptable and what types of sweeteners are the healthiest? I'd love to get rid of all the sugar and anything processed in our diets. I figure if I can do it an the benefits are visible, dh will hop on board. Thanks for any advice!!!
#14 of 46 Old 10-02-2007, 11:16 PM

Haven't had any sugar in a while but since October 1 I am trying the Anti Candida diet:No fruit,no refined grains. Wow it is hard! I got a bad headache.
Today I had sushi. I think there might have been a little sugar in it. I tell you sugar is difficult to avoid! But at least I have been good about no sweets!
#15 of 46 Old 10-02-2007, 11:23 PM

Ok not such a good day for me - vietnamese for lunch (udon noodles, sauce with sugar in it) and then I had a few hard candies when I came home - sugar begets sugar...

Tomorrow is another day, and a sugarfree one for sure! I made a whole-wheat crust apple pie with sucanat so if I need a sweet, that'll be it.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#16 of 46 Old 10-03-2007, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
For dinner tonight we are having chicken, cauliflower, corn, and a special special treat - LOBSTER MUSHROOMS!!! I went on a little mushroom foraging hike with DD this morning and we found more than enough for dinner. I will do them in a sherry cream sauce with thyme. Mmmmm... so looking forward to that!
WOW, spughy, how were your mushrooms? SOUNDS DELICIOUS! I'm Canadian too but am not living where there is such a lengthy mushroom season. I am more than a little envious!

As for me, I'm not doing great but not so bad. I was very true to the challenge last year but I was also breastfeeding a newborn. DP and I recently made homemade wine and I've been overindulging (which activates sugar cravings). I'm giving it my ALL tomorrow, girls! Come on! What's up with us? WE CAN DO THIS!!! Just one minute at a time.

I remember it getting way easier after day 5. If 21 days is too long to understand, let's just try for 1 week. Is that less intimidating?

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#17 of 46 Old 10-03-2007, 05:23 AM

I have been sugar free for almost three days now. I do have some molasses and a bit of honey, but try to keep it around a tsp a day each. For this challenge I am still eating fruit and some grains (millet for breakfast), but will eventually try to go grain free. I cannot have eggs or dairy and we cannot find avos here, so I think having no fruit would be really hard. Maybe eventually for a little while. One thing at a time.
Oh, I am also wanting to break the coffee habit, but failed today. Fresh start tomorrow.
#18 of 46 Old 10-03-2007, 06:51 AM

Had a little sugar yesterday when dp and I went out to eat - dp knows the chef and he kept giving us food that we didn't order (I'm not complaining ) including dessert. I only had a few bites of dessert and a small piece of white bread...everything else was very healthy.

Then this morning I realized that I accidentally bought vanilla yogurt instead of plain (30g of sugar per serving!). : But I'm determined to make this a sugar/refined carb free day. Good luck to everyone.
#19 of 46 Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
Then this morning I realized that I accidentally bought vanilla yogurt instead of plain (30g of sugar per serving!). : But I'm determined to make this a sugar/refined carb free day. Good luck to everyone.
i was just going to ask about the yogurt counting. it would have made it so much easier to endure passing up our nightly end-of-summer ice cream. i had 4 bites last night : i guess i'll have to put blueberries in plain yogurt and hope i get used to the taste.

i have noticed that since i don't take any cookie when dd(2yo) offers me some, she is not interested in eating any either. that was my only grain anyway so i'm down to just fruit!
#20 of 46 Old 10-03-2007, 12:42 PM

My mushrooms were great! Last night we had another good hearty dinner - organic grass-fed beef pot roast, beet greens and mashed potatoes. I'm still cool with potatoes, just not white rice or white flour, but I only had 1/2 cup.

Breakfast this morning is a slice of my healthy apple pie (the crust is made with stone-ground ww flour). I am not attempting in any way shape or form to break my coffee habit - I have 1 cup a day (and sometimes I don't even get that) so I think I am just fine with that. I reeeeally enjoy it, and I don't put any sugar in. No sense ditching ALL the fun stuff.

#21 of 46 Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 PM

You ladies are doing great! Keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenB View Post
Can someone tell me what guidelines you are using for this challenge? What is acceptable and what types of sweeteners are the healthiest?
Everybody here has chosen their individual path. If you look in the original challenge thread on this board, you'll see where everyone checks in with what they'd like to do. Feel free to join in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post
Today I had sushi. I think there might have been a little sugar in it. I tell you sugar is difficult to avoid! But at least I have been good about no sweets!
Unless the sushi was made with brown rice, the white rice can cause cravings. Also, imitation crab does contain sugar (most of it has HFCS), and that is usually what's being used in items like California Rolls.

Quote:
Don't forget that some of those 30g of "sugars" are actually lactose, so even plain will show "sugars". My container of plain yogurt shows 7g of sugar per 1c serving. If you enjoy yogurt, I would recommend making it yourself. Fermenting yogurt for 24 hours removes most of the lactose, whereas commercial yogurts are only fermented something like 4 hours, which leaves quite a bit of lactose in there.

Something else to consider. If you regularly drink skim or low-fat milk, those both have higher sugars than whole milk. Think about switching. Whole milk has higher fat content, lower sugar content, so it can help with cravings, and not stimulate your sugar receptors like skim can. We actually drink half-and-half here. (I say drink, but neither of us is a milk drinker... it goes in coffee, yogurt or other recipes.)

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#22 of 46 Old 10-03-2007, 01:58 PM

Can I join this, a few days late? I have PCOS with insulin resistance, and so my challenge is to cut the sugar, gluten and dairy out of my diet. This morning I had rice cakes (made with brown rice), and almond butter, with some blueberries on the side and a cup of green tea. Lunch will be a big salad, with chicken, cucumbers, spinach, tomatoes, green onions and lots of water. I need to go grocery shopping, badly.
#23 of 46 Old 10-03-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Don't forget that some of those 30g of "sugars" are actually lactose, so even plain will show "sugars". My container of plain yogurt shows 7g of sugar per 1c serving. If you enjoy yogurt, I would recommend making it yourself. Fermenting yogurt for 24 hours removes most of the lactose, whereas commercial yogurts are only fermented something like 4 hours, which leaves quite a bit of lactose in there.

Something else to consider. If you regularly drink skim or low-fat milk, those both have higher sugars than whole milk. Think about switching. Whole milk has higher fat content, lower sugar content, so it can help with cravings, and not stimulate your sugar receptors like skim can. We actually drink half-and-half here. (I say drink, but neither of us is a milk drinker... it goes in coffee, yogurt or other recipes.)
We use heavy cream in our coffee and we don't drink milk. We do have some whole milk for other uses, however. I'd love to make my own yogurt...been toying with the idea for a while but haven't had the nerve to try. I either need to get a thermometer or a yogurt maker first. Anyway, yeah, I'm aware that some of the sugars in yogurt are lactose - those aren't the ones I'm worried about - it's all the added sugar in the vanilla flavor that I'm avoiding. Thanks for the advice - we're on the same page.
#24 of 46 Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I'd love to make my own yogurt...been toying with the idea for a while but haven't had the nerve to try. I either need to get a thermometer or a yogurt maker first.
I don't use either a thermometer or a yogurt maker for my yogurt. Do you have a heating pad? If you do, that's all the equipment you need. If you don't, I recommend one... it's the ultimate in multi-use tools.

Heat up your milk (I usually use 1 1/2 qts of half&half and a pint of heavy cream) until it's steaming. Pour it into a heat-safe bowl. Stir occasionally until a drop on the inside of your wrist feels comfortable... Not hot, not cold. That's the temperature the culture wants. Stir in 1-2 Tbs yogurt with active cultures. Cover the bowl (mine has a lid, or use a plate or plastic wrap). Set the bowl on the heating pad set to low (I put this on the top of my fridge), wrap the whole thing in a bath towel. Leave it undisturbed 24 hours. Chill until cold. Stir well. Eat. It really isn't difficult or complicated once you know the basics.

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#25 of 46 Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 PM

Another good day.

#26 of 46 Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I don't use either a thermometer or a yogurt maker for my yogurt. Do you have a heating pad? If you do, that's all the equipment you need. If you don't, I recommend one... it's the ultimate in multi-use tools.

Heat up your milk (I usually use 1 1/2 qts of half&half and a pint of heavy cream) until it's steaming. Pour it into a heat-safe bowl. Stir occasionally until a drop on the inside of your wrist feels comfortable... Not hot, not cold. That's the temperature the culture wants. Stir in 1-2 Tbs yogurt with active cultures. Cover the bowl (mine has a lid, or use a plate or plastic wrap). Set the bowl on the heating pad set to low (I put this on the top of my fridge), wrap the whole thing in a bath towel. Leave it undisturbed 24 hours. Chill until cold. Stir well. Eat. It really isn't difficult or complicated once you know the basics.

HTH
No heating pad, either, but that is something I should get, for sure. I like the idea of using your wrist to determine the right temperature - I think I'll try that using a small cooler filled halfway with warm water (another method I've read about). Do you get a layer of cream on top when you use 1/2 and 1/2 and heavy cream? The yogurt I buy has the cream on top, and it is so good.
#27 of 46 Old 10-04-2007, 10:57 AM

No chocolate yesterday, yay! I did have raisins and a touch of honey but those are in my guidelines. I just do not want any refined sugar.

Today I have been good and have no intentions of falling off.......

#28 of 46 Old 10-04-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Do you get a layer of cream on top when you use 1/2 and 1/2 and heavy cream? The yogurt I buy has the cream on top, and it is so good.
Yup!

#29 of 46 Old 10-04-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks, Cristeen, I can't wait to try your recipe this weekend.
#30 of 46 Old 10-04-2007, 05:22 PM

OK, I have a question. What about Ezekiel bread? Just how bad is it? I bought my first loaf last week and dd (19) and I love it! I really think she'll never eat white bread again. I notice alot of people are giving up grains. I'm trying to cut back on mine but don't want to give up a couple of weekly slices of this. I really want to curb my cravings for sugar and I know I need to go through a detox period first. Should I cut this out for awhile? Any advice is appreciated! I'm new to all of this and it is very confusing. I'm trying really hard to get rid of this fatigue and lethargy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page