Itchy welts - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2007, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the past few weeks my 12 year old son has been waking up with itchy welts. They are all different sizes most bigger than a mosquito bite but not always. They aren't the perfect circle that you usually see in a bite.
Of course I have stripped his bed and washed everything but it doesn't seem to have helped.
They are the worst when he wakes up and are mostly on his chest and back but often times on his arms though never on his legs.
We have a dog and a cat, neither sleep with him and they are not new pets.
There is no new medication for us or for the pets.
At first it seemed like he was only getting them here and not at his Dad's house (every other weekend) but this past weekend he went camping with his Dad and got them pretty bad.

Also, we have 7 people in this house and he is the only one having this issue.

I made an appointment with the ped that does the boys physicals for sports every year. He is an ok guy for physicals but at the last appointment went out of his way to tell me how dangerous homebirth is and that I will HAVE to take the baby to the ER immediately for a vitamin K shot Whatever buddy! I guess my concern is that he will suggest meds and not really have any idea what is causing the welts though I'm not sure I could blame him as I am quite confused myself.

Has anybody else seen this? Any suggestestions would be great.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2007, 02:30 PM

Homeopathy! I can try to help....

what makes the itchy/sites spot better or worse?
what's his mood like now since they erupted?

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 10-02-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Homeopathy would be great. We don't do OTC meds. We do use homeopathy but I honestly didn't know where to start.
We are wondering if it could be hormones???
He runs cross country but I think the welts started before but it's close in timing.
His mood is the same though te spots do annoy him and he is worried about them.

They seem to be worse in the morning and don't really bother him at school. I haven't put anything on them or given him anything.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
do they stay or go away quickly? not hives are they? that would be an allergic reaction symptom, but the times i have had hives if i am able to get out of the way of the allergen (got them bad one year from cleaning off a pollen covered porch) they go away w/in an hour or so. hope you can get it tracked down.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 10-02-2007, 11:13 PM

You probably have a bed bug problem and they are very difficuult to get rid of. Vacuuming won't do it and even strong pesticides fail. Since DDT was banned that have been on the uprise. They are insidious and hide in the tiniest nooks and crannies, like the slots in the stop of a screw, on the bedframe or inside your alarmclock. They love heat and feed off your blood, while you sleep. They leave welts on the body, like what you describe. Sorry, hope you can get rid of them. There is lots of info out there on them-

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...a=bed+bugs&sz=

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2105.html
Old 10-03-2007, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I haven't seen anything like that (bugs) and his welts don't look like the pictures.
I wouldn't eliminate it but he also had them while camping this weekend and his sleeping bag is not kept in this house but at his Dad's house.
I will take a good look at him in the morning and see if I can take some pictures.

User Tag List