Pinkie finger is always bent - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just recently noticed that our 2 year old son's pinkie finger is always bent (towards his palm). We can straighten it and it doesn't cause him any pain, but in a relaxed position when the rest of his fingers are straight that one is always bent. I had him grip my finger and he can do that just fine so the finger seems to have the proper strength and motion. Does anybody else have this? What causes it? We figure it has likely been like that since birth and we didn't notice till now...
#2 of 12 Old 10-02-2007, 12:55 PM

Mine do that too. It is just my relaxed state, I can certainly straighten them if I want. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
#3 of 12 Old 10-02-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
Mine do that too. It is just my relaxed state, I can certainly straighten them if I want. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Just your pinkies or all your fingers???
#4 of 12 Old 10-02-2007, 03:38 PM

He can straighten it just with will power or by physically bending it? Both pinky's?
My son has crooked pinky fingers on both sides. It is very obvious now. But I never noticed it when he was a baby..not until he was about two. One day I was cutting his nails and thought oh my he broke his pinky...until I saw the other one!
The orthopedist told me that he always had it but it became more obvious over time because as the fingers grow the growth plates, which are placed in the wrong place so not directly under the joint but partly to the side, push the finger the wrong way--sort of crooked instead of up. Turns out this is usually inherited and the gene for this is an autosomal dominant. So when it is in the family (either parent) all the kids get it to some degree. It is usually mild. Turns out my pinky fingers are slightly bent but it is so subtle I never noticed it. My son's brother is the same way and so mild you wouldn't even notice. I had no clue but all my siblings and my dad have it too! My sister's pinky fingers are more dramatic like my son's are so she was aware but I certainly wasn't.
Do either you or his dad have slightly bent pinky fingers? If so do a search for clinodactyly.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 12 Old 10-02-2007, 04:06 PM

all the females in my family have this, and the males have double jointed fingers. I had totally forgotten about that until ds was showing me what he could do with his hands ... *shivers* eeeeewwwwwww .... since I never see any of the male members of my family. lol Mine is kind of annoying since my pinkies angle into my ring fingers when I make a fist, and want to overlap slightly. I still function perfectly fine, but combined with a sensitivity disorder that just drives me nuts. lol No one else in my family has any problems with their bent pinkies though.
buegera likes this.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#6 of 12 Old 10-02-2007, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
He can straighten it just with will power or by physically bending it? Both pinky's?
My son has crooked pinky fingers on both sides. It is very obvious now. But I never noticed it when he was a baby..not until he was about two. One day I was cutting his nails and thought oh my he broke his pinky...until I saw the other one!
The orthopedist told me that he always had it but it became more obvious over time because as the fingers grow the growth plates, which are placed in the wrong place so not directly under the joint but partly to the side, push the finger the wrong way--sort of crooked instead of up. Turns out this is usually inherited and the gene for this is an autosomal dominant. So when it is in the family (either parent) all the kids get it to some degree. It is usually mild. Turns out my pinky fingers are slightly bent but it is so subtle I never noticed it. My son's brother is the same way and so mild you wouldn't even notice. I had no clue but all my siblings and my dad have it too! My sister's pinky fingers are more dramatic like my son's are so she was aware but I certainly wasn't.
Do either you or his dad have slightly bent pinky fingers? If so do a search for clinodactyly.
It is just one pinky, the other is fine. He can almost straighten it just by trying (when I ask him to), but not quite. I can force it straight if I try. My pinkies look fine, but I will check my husband's when he gets home. Which way do your son's bend sideways or down?
#7 of 12 Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM

One of my pinkies is not straight. It is because their isn't enough skin I can't even force it straight. I didn't notice it until 8th grade. It is like the webbing goes all the way up to the middle knuckle.
#8 of 12 Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 AM

My son's is sideways. http://nslog.com/2006/08/10/my_bent_pinky_fingers Like this except my son's is much more bent. If it is bent downward that is different.

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#9 of 12 Old 10-03-2007, 11:06 AM

I think I remember learning about a bent pinky finger trait in genetics class.
#10 of 12 Old 10-03-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
I think I remember learning about a bent pinky finger trait in genetics class.
You did; you learned about what I'm mentioning because it is was of the few autosomal dominant traits where you always pass it on and it always presents in offspring.
But OP I don't think that is it if it is in only one finger and also I checked...my son cannot straighten his.

#11 of 12 Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM

Looking back, I think I might have misread. His finger bends down, right? Our fingers bend sideways. Sorry if I added any confusion to the issue. lol I had no idea there was such variety in pinkies, though. I'm : with this thread. :

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#12 of 12 Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post
Looking back, I think I might have misread. His finger bends down, right? Our fingers bend sideways. Sorry if I added any confusion to the issue. lol I had no idea there was such variety in pinkies, though. I'm : with this thread. :
yeah - it bends down towards his palm. we never noticed because who walks around with straight fingers, but I was tracing his handprint the other day and noticed every time I did (about 30 times by the end) that his pinkie on one hand was always bent. he says it doesn't hurt. He has health problems too and I am wondering if it is part of a syndrome (since no one can figure out what is wrong with him), but it seems everyone here is talking about crooked fingers not bent down fingers...hmmm. and I can't find anything on the internet so far...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page