11 y.o. and tampons - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-27-2003, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 11 yo dd started menstruating yesterday. Of course, she is to go to day camp this week and swimming is part of the activity. Do you think an 11 yo is too young for a tampon for swimming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-27-2003, 01:55 AM

I started menstruating when I had to swim too. So I wore tampons first thing. I was 14, but that was also 1976.
It's probably ok, but I would do non-deodorant and natural kind from the Health Food Stores.
It was not a problem for me then.
#3 of 6 Old 07-27-2003, 02:49 AM

I think a plain low absorbancy one would be fine. Be sure her periods are heavy enough...sometimes using them for a too-light period or changing them to often cause inside abrasions and can contribute to toxic shock. They are starting to think that's more of an issue than what they used to tell us (left in too long.) If her periods are really light, she could probably swim anyway. You don't really bleed while in the water (ever taken a bath while having your period? you'll know what I mean)...she'd just have to get in right away after changing and go stright to the bathroom when she got out. Use a dark towel and coverup in case it starts on the way.

They might not be comfortable right away, you might want to use a little ky on them to help her get them in at first.
#4 of 6 Old 07-30-2003, 12:57 AM

The same thing happened to me when I was 12; first period the day before camp started! I used tampons right away.
#5 of 6 Old 07-30-2003, 01:48 AM

My daughter started her period right before she turned 13. It was also the morning we were going to the Hot Springs....she wore a tampon that first day.

I wore a pad for literally 1 hour when i went to my mom and said "i cant possibly wear this all day". she showed me how to use a tampon, and i have never used anything else.
#6 of 6 Old 07-30-2003, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
You don't really bleed while in the water (ever taken a bath while having your period? you'll know what I mean)
I have taken baths and gone swimming during my period, but I DON'T know what you mean--if I'm not wearing a tampon or cup, pink clouds form in the water! I think it's one of those things that work for some people and not others.

That said, for light flow I think it's fine to swim anyway. Stick a panty liner inside the suit for reassurance--it won't absorb anything once it's soaked w/water, but the plastic backing will prevent major leaks.

I second the recommendations for natural cotton, preferably organic, and for KY Jelly. I'd go w/non-applicator tampons; they're easier to understand, and you don't have to insert extra stuff along w/the tampon.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page