The Pinworm Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 258 Old 11-26-2008, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
One of the kids I babysit has pinworms. I take my 3 kids to his house once a week & he comes to our house anywhere from 1-4 days a week. His mom just told me yesterday that he has pinworms. His sister has them all the time & the other family members have had them as well. Why would one family have them SO often?

So anyway, I hope we don't get them. I put Ds in his high chair yesterday & he said "ow, my butt hurts!" I figured he had a poop (he's going through that phase where he won't tell me he has a poop & never wants me to change it. ) So I went to change his diaper & there was nothing in it. He started digging at his anus. I quickly put his diaper on & washed his hands well (and mine.)
Last night I opened his diaper & checked his bum with a flashlight & didn't see anything.
I've had an intermittant itchy bum, but I had some really spicy tacos the other day & they kinda messed with my digestion. So I had a few extra BMs - what burns going down, burns coming out.... So it could be from that. I've never experienced pinworms & neither have my kids.

Can the itching be very occasional & mild during the day with zero itching at night? Neither Ds nor I itch at night & Ds is never at his diaper trying to scratch himself.

I'll put some Weleda diaper cream on both of us just to be safe. I looked at some parasite cleanses at the wfs today but ALL of them said not to take if nursing. Ds is 2.5 - would it even be safe for my kids to take those cleanses (ages 8.5, 5.5 & 2.5)?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#122 of 258 Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
One of the kids I babysit has pinworms. I take my 3 kids to his house once a week & he comes to our house anywhere from 1-4 days a week. His mom just told me yesterday that he has pinworms. His sister has them all the time & the other family members have had them as well. Why would one family have them SO often?
That's the question I keep trying to highlight.
#123 of 258 Old 11-26-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
That's the question I keep trying to highlight.
Fwiw, I'm with you on the overall health connection.

Do you know if I can give ALL of my kids the parasite cleanses from the wfs? If I'm going to do anything, I'd prefer it was herbal.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#124 of 258 Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
One family would get them so frequently because they are very easy to pass. Once one person has them, they can be passed easily from person to person even while treating because the eggs can't be seen with the naked eye and can live for weeks on any surface. Also, treatments don't kill the eggs, so if you don't follow up on treatment in two weeks, there's a good chance you'll get them again.
#125 of 258 Old 11-26-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioralourie View Post
if a pregnant mother has pinworms, does she really need to wait till after the birth? If so, should some family members get treated sooner?

Won't baby get them during the birthing process?

Online it says to treat the whole family at the same time...Do you all agree with this? Or is it just necessary to treat the person who is suspected of having the pinworms?

Do you keep kids out of school (no classes, playdates, etc) for that 2-4 week period?

From what I understand, the meds (kif you're talking about something like PinX) don't get absorbed into your system, or they do but in very small amounts. They pass through your intestines and paralyze the worms and you pass both the worms and the meds in your stool. I suspect they warn bfing and pregnany moms not to take it for the same reasons they tell you not to take anything else - CYA. Maybe check with an OB or Midwife to see what they have to say about it?
#126 of 258 Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 PM

Usually things will say "check with your doctor if you're pregnant or nursing" - the parasite cleanses I saw just said "do not take if pregnant or nursing." I'd be interested in hearing what a doctor would say though.

I'll have to wait until Friday to ask. Wonder how Mercola feels about pinworms...

#127 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Fwiw, I'm with you on the overall health connection.

Do you know if I can give ALL of my kids the parasite cleanses from the wfs? If I'm going to do anything, I'd prefer it was herbal.
There's a good product I hear, called PARA GONE The best prices I've found are here

http://www.health-n-energy.net

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)
#128 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Usually things will say "check with your doctor if you're pregnant or nursing" - the parasite cleanses I saw just said "do not take if pregnant or nursing." I'd be interested in hearing what a doctor would say though.

I'll have to wait until Friday to ask. Wonder how Mercola feels about pinworms...
Here http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1837.htm it says that

Mebendazole (Vermox) and Albendazole (Albenza) are a Class C drug
"C - Fetal risk revealed in studies in animals but not established or not studied in humans; may use if benefits outweigh risk to fetus"

and
Pyrantel pamoate (Pin-Rid, Pin-X) is a Class D drug.
"D - Fetal risk shown in humans; use only if benefits outweigh risk to fetus"

Now it's interesting that the Class D drug is OTC and the others if I'm not mistaken are Rx only (?!)

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)
#129 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
One of the kids I babysit has pinworms. I take my 3 kids to his house once a week & he comes to our house......
Can the itching be very occasional & mild during the day with zero itching at night? Neither Ds nor I itch at night & Ds is never at his diaper trying to scratch himself.
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1837.htm says that most cases are totally asymptomatic...

which is a little bit scary!

#130 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 12:57 AM

Can we start a big list of natural cures and tips/guideline??

I'll start--can others help me review the thread a bit, too, and add on? Feel free to edit this.

NON-RX CURES

1) CINA homeopathic remedy 200C 200 C of this remedy (http://a2zhomeopathy.com can overnight it), put 2 pellets in a 4 oz. of spring water and bang the bottle against your hand (called succussing) 8 or so times and then take 1T of this mother bottle and add to 4 oz. of water in a cup ( that you will use only for remedy) and take one tbls from this cup of the remedy and repeat the following week if need be.

2) PARA GONE The best prices I've found are here http://www.health-n-energy.net

3) DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (food grade) bake in foods, add to smoothies for at least 2 weeks (?) or indefinitely for prevention

TIPS & GUIDELINES
1. Wash hands frequently with soap and warm water.
3) Wash sheets, clothes, towels daily for a time, then frequently afterward for approx. 4 weeks.
4) Bathe daily for 1-2 weeks (animals included, ideally).
5) Vacuum/wet mop daily for a time.
6) Clean toys, piano, keyboards, anything kids may touch frequently and/or mouth.
7) Trim nails.
8) Worms exit anus at night so place petroleum or better yet a non petroleum jelly or diaper creme.
9) DO: eat raw pumpkin seeds, raw garlic, raw carrots, ....

Comfort measures for extreme cases: Topical xylocaine, lavender essential oil, coconut oil, butter, other oil based lubrication for comfort, witch hazel, apple cider vinegar, Epsom salt baths, oatmeal baths, apis cream, calendula ointment, Aloe Vera mixed with olive oil, tea tree oil, cornstarch, baking soda paste, would be my best bets. Perhaps, even some topical benadryl for intense itching.

#131 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
"C - Fetal risk revealed in studies in animals but not established or not studied in humans; may use if benefits outweigh risk to fetus"

and

Now it's interesting that the Class D drug is OTC and the others if I'm not mistaken are Rx only (?!)
however I just read what another poster linked to: http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1127829081 Dr. Hale saying it seems ok to take Mebendazole.

#132 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 01:03 AM

oh My Bad. the OP has a fine summary of the info. Sorry for the confusion!

#133 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:

just about all natural marketed parasitics are contraindicated in breastfeeding. Many are contraindicated for kiddos as well. The exception would be homeopathy.
#134 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:

and

I was referring to the herbal parasite cleanses at the wfs.

#135 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
just about all natural marketed parasitics are contraindicated in breastfeeding. Many are contraindicated for kiddos as well. The exception would be homeopathy.
Ugh, so I can't use the herbal stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioralourie
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1837.htm says that most cases are totally asymptomatic...

which is a little bit scary!
I'm okay with us having them as long as we're asymptomatic...

#136 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 01:31 PM

I wouldn't...especially given the other things you are dealing with. But that's just one person's opinion.
#137 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't...especially given the other things you are dealing with. But that's just one person's opinion.
You mean the adrenal stuff?

So you think I should use homeopathics or nuttin'?

#138 of 258 Old 11-27-2008, 04:36 PM

Yes. You are taking quite a bit as it is. I wouldn't add anything else at this point without consulting your doc. I understand it's all nourishing, but there can still be interactions.

the upside to homeopathic is that they are either going to work or they aren't. When you get the mid range potencies there isn't much of a risk. I wouldn't be concerned about taking a remedy.
#139 of 258 Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 AM

thanks for the info!

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#140 of 258 Old 05-25-2009, 03:54 AM

What are adult symptoms?

Do you recommend meds for the child?

Should we do the couch cover, too?

thanks.
#141 of 258 Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM

I've been obsessing about these since my 14 month old son was diagnosed with these four weeks ago.

After a lot of rigamorole & two doses of the meds, which I'll spare everyone on this thread, it seems I still have them (the whole family seems to have gotten them).

Can someone please confirm for me that if the eggs never get into my mouth, eventually what I have now in my body will die off. Is this correct? I'd like to avoid taking more meds at this point, and I've got the preventive behaviors pretty much down-pat by now. I think these last one(s) are just the last remaining eggs that have hatched inside me (this is just awful to think about), rather than a re-infection. I could be wrong, of course.

Thanks in advance.
#142 of 258 Old 06-24-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmcwhorter View Post
I've been obsessing about these since my 14 month old son was diagnosed with these four weeks ago.

After a lot of rigamorole & two doses of the meds, which I'll spare everyone on this thread, it seems I still have them (the whole family seems to have gotten them).

Can someone please confirm for me that if the eggs never get into my mouth, eventually what I have now in my body will die off. Is this correct? I'd like to avoid taking more meds at this point, and I've got the preventive behaviors pretty much down-pat by now. I think these last one(s) are just the last remaining eggs that have hatched inside me (this is just awful to think about), rather than a re-infection. I could be wrong, of course.

Thanks in advance.
I'd get 1 more dose for the whole family.

When we had them I did 3 doses of Pin-X for everyone and a 4th dose for me and my son. I wanted those little buggers GONE. I wasn't messing around. We haven't had them again.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#143 of 258 Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 PM

I just want to chime in to relay what happened to my DD. She is 13, has never had pinworms but seemed to have picked them up at sleep away summer camp. Well they CAUSED appendicitis and she had to come home from camp and have emergency surgery. When they did the pathology on the appendix, they found pinworms. After researching it, the chance of appendicitis increases up to 70% in the presence of pinworms. The chance of infertility caused by a ruptured appendix is increased significantly. DD's experience may be uncommon, but it happened.
rebecca_n likes this.
#144 of 258 Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine21 View Post
I just want to chime in to relay what happened to my DD. She is 13, has never had pinworms but seemed to have picked them up at sleep away summer camp. Well they CAUSED appendicitis and she had to come home from camp and have emergency surgery. When they did the pathology on the appendix, they found pinworms. After researching it, the chance of appendicitis increases up to 70% in the presence of pinworms. The chance of infertility caused by a ruptured appendix is increased significantly. DD's experience may be uncommon, but it happened.

I would really focus on gut healing. Especially after the assault of emergency surgery, antibiotics (I assume), and the pinworms as a precipitating issue. Where to start? Help 101

Pat

I have a blog.
#145 of 258 Old 07-18-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I would really focus on gut healing. Especially after the assault of emergency surgery, antibiotics (I assume), and the pinworms as a precipitating issue. Where to start? Help 101

Pat
Thanks Pat. I have her on probiotics, black walnut, tumeric, garlic, high doses of beta carotene, essential oils etc...She is feeling better. The good thing is that the pinworms have been asymtomatic (with the exception of the appendicitis)
#146 of 258 Old 07-18-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine21 View Post
Thanks Pat. I have her on probiotics, black walnut, tumeric, garlic, high doses of beta carotene, essential oils etc...She is feeling better. The good thing is that the pinworms have been asymptomatic (with the exception of the appendicitis)

An alternate perspective, is that the pinworms are present for a reason. Correcting the *underlying* issue, rather than anti-parasitics is a consideration.

Often, we have gut dysbiosis due to blocked detox pathways, poor nutrient bio-availability secondary to inadequate stomach acid, heavy metal toxicity. Probiotics are not a 'generic' treatment. There are whole food probiotics, and natural food enzymes which have helped to maintain symbiotic balance in the gut microbials for eons before bottle probiotics were sold.

I'm glad she is doing well!

Pat

I have a blog.
#147 of 258 Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
Does anyone know WHAT kills pinworm eggs on surfaces? I keep reading that Lysol does not kill them, and I hate Lysol and would never use that anyways, but what DOES kill them? Should I bleach my whole house or what?? Thanks!
I was wondering if you ever got an answer to your question about the pinworm eggs? I've just discovered my soon to be 8 yr old has pinworms. We did the Reese's Pinworm medicine (moneyback coupon by the way) and now I'm gathering my wits (what's left) and strength to do all the washing of the sheets, underwear, towles... does anyone know if you have to do the comforters too?... and vacuuming everything in sight. You know, cleaning like your mother-in-law was coming over or something (mine hates me). I've tied a bandana around my face while stripping the beds (lol) so I don't breathe in the damn eggs but I need to know too if there's anything that will actually kill the eggs??
#148 of 258 Old 08-18-2009, 12:37 AM

3 weeks ago, my 4 1/2 yr. old DS brought home a note from school saying there was a case of pinworms.

For the past week, he was itching around, and I checked him, found nothing.
Tonight I found worms going in and out. My 18 month old has been waking up the last few nights, but he was totally clean. Nothing at all there.

My DS's diet is not good, but he's a picky eater.... That won't work. I've tried. I totally agree that this helps the issue be much worse, but he refuses veg., carrots...

What would be best considering his eating habits?

1. Diamotasceous Earth - How much daily?? This I have at home. I would like to give it to all 3 of my kids. I'm preg. so I'll avoid it for now. Can I put it in apple juice, or is that a no-no? (We don't normally drink this, but I need somthing that will cover up the taste.

2. My Calendula cream is done, so would Coconut Oil also work? How many times a day do I put it on my kids?

3. What homeopathic remedy should I get?

4. What else can I do?

Please answer, as he's really suffering.

Ana

Mom to 4 Boys
#149 of 258 Old 08-29-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:

And I found that out after I developed a sever reaction to the med!!!
#150 of 258 Old 08-29-2009, 02:03 AM

....deleted

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page