The Pinworm Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 257 Old 07-16-2010, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread had been most interesting. I knew to come to Mothering for answers to this annoying Pinworm issue.
My 6 y/o showed signs yesterday after eating 3/4 pint of blueberries. Her stool was intensely blue/black and shortly thereafter her complaints of an itchy bottom began. I'm thinking the blueberries really started flushing them out.
As a small child my parents were diligent about pinworms. We laugh to this day that mom would lay us over her legs at night and search our bottoms with a flashlight. We never had them. But I repeated this story to my children often enough. Assuring them that should they ever have an itchy rectum or vagina they need to tell me, or if they see anything in their stool to report it. Never be embarrassed or scared to tell me. So my girl was diligent when she said she was itching. I investigated and sure enough they were coming out of her rectum-around 9:30pm in bright light. I was able to wipe away some as they were coming out and we continued this until it slowed down. Sounds gross I know...I know. I could not in good conscience let her go to bed with worms crawling out of her bottom. I also called the Peds and got Vermox for the whole family that night.

Tonight we did the same thing around the same time. At least to a point where they diminished in numbers- I then took Roses Salve and rubbed it all over her rectum and around the vulva. Then I took my Medieval Mix(Aura Cacia) essential oil - a blend of rosemary, red ,white thyme, orange,lemon citrus, mealeuca, eucalyptus,lavender in small amt and rubbed that on her butt cheeks and inner legs. I did not have oregano, so thought this might work. If nothing else, it smells great.

As a chemist, I've used diatomaceaous earth in my filtering processes for beverages and i use it in my garden for slug control. I can see this working.

And to those that suggested Oregano oil. Is it possible to get the same effect from eating it fresh or dried? I know its a tough herb to swallow but my mother was a huge dried oregano fan in our nightly salads. OMG-maybe that dried oregano was what kept us pinworm free. Interesting thought.

I also put folded over packing tape in her underwear last night to stick any worms that may come out. She was not happy, but slept all night. Not sure if that worked because I couldn't really see anything, but thats what the pharmacist said to do. Also read that some Drs. recommend water enemas to help expel the worms. Not sure either on this and won't do. I am going to pick a ton of blueberries tomorrow and encourage her to eat some. Will also try the diet tips and some dried oregano.

I also read somewhere in my organic gardening books that swallowing hollyhock seeds was used to expel tapeworms in the past. Interesting thought- as the seeds are ribbed on the sides.
#182 of 257 Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the helpful info on this thread. I haven't been on mothering forums much lately, but I know to come here for help when I need it!

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#183 of 257 Old 09-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Wow - what a great thread. I am pretty sure my DD has pinworms. It surprises me because she takes probiotics everyday, nurses, eats extremely healthy, gets no sugar, dairy or starchy carbs. She has been acting like her hiney is bothering her for awhile and being very, restless at night sometimes waking more than once an hour. I would have never figured out what was bothering her but the past 3 nights I have had terrible itching. Bless her heart she has been going through this for awhile and I had no clue. I don't want to go the meds route unless I absolutely have to.

From reading through all of your posts here & internet research this is what I've gathered on my list:
Raw garlic
Coconut Oil
Pumpkin seeds
Artemisia Annua
Black Walnut
Papaya
Pomegranate
Pineapple
Blackberries
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Probiotics
Cranberries
Homepathic Cina
Zinc & Vitamin C
Oregano Oil

Is there anything else I am forgetting? I am going to our health store shortly to pick up whatever I can find from the list!

Also, what can I apply for some relief? I know vaseline is not the best thing but it really helped my itching so I have put it on her the past 2 nights and she has slept so much better. Is there something more natural that works as well?

Mama to my 2 sweet baby chicks! DD1 is 3 and DD2 born April '12.
They make me joy.gif
#184 of 257 Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 PM

I would look for the worms, to verify. You should be able to find evidence if them if the are there.
I say this bc my dd had a candida imbalance, but I thought it was pinworms at first.
#185 of 257 Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 PM

That's the one thing I've wondered..if it could possibly be yeast related. But why would we both suddenly have that problem? That leads me to thinking pinworms. I am going to *try* the tape thing tonight. I have checked her bum in the morning & not seen anything. Also (sorry gross) I've checked mine when it was bothering me and seen nothing. Same with her poop - nothing. She normally enjoys some diaper-free time, and now she just whines and cries when I take her diaper off. She immediately grabs her behind and she is acting like her vagina is really hurting her too. Grabbing it and saying "ow"...I've read pinworms can go into the vagina too. I am so worried and just don't know what to do or how to treat this problem!

They make me joy.gif
#186 of 257 Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 AM

http://www.drnatura.com/paranil_jr.php
I used this with Kathrynn and it seemed to help..... also their chewable probiotics.

I hope you find some relief for her soon.... I am wondering if you have any coconut oil? i'd try that instead of the vasaline..... or maybe some calendula?
#187 of 257 Old 09-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Sorry you and your dd are going through this, elliesmom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliesmom1016 View Post
Also, what can I apply for some relief? I know vaseline is not the best thing but it really helped my itching so I have put it on her the past 2 nights and she has slept so much better. Is there something more natural that works as well?
What diaper rash cream did you use with your dd? I'd buy some of that and start using it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona View Post
I would look for the worms, to verify. You should be able to find evidence if them if the are there.
I say this bc my dd had a candida imbalance, but I thought it was pinworms at first.
I would start with the pinworm remedies, because natural ones take a while to work, but I'd also seek evidence of the worms, maybe go to the doctor and have a stool sample done. I've had worms, unmistakably, but after that I was sure they'd come back and it turned out to be another cause for the itching - can't remember the name but it was related to a tummy upset we'd had that lingered and made stools irritating and itchy. It just went away on its own as our gut healed after being ill, so we treated the symptoms of the itch until we felt better.
#188 of 257 Old 09-05-2010, 04:01 AM

thanks for the responses. I have always used organic EVOO for her diaper area if it was red. I think this soothes it at the time but I've read vaseline actually stops the worms from coming out and laying eggs (which causes the itching) so I think that's why it gives so much relief. I know it's made world of difference for me. Tonight I tried aloe vera instead b/c I just can't consciously keep putting something on her that is toxic, no matter how much it helps. I have Coconut Oil I will try that tomorrow. I never know if it could help or agitate the area more...I had read to mix a little raw minced garlic w/ vaseline to make a paste and use that, thank God I tried it on myself first b/c it burned like fire! I just don't want to do ANYTHING to make her feel worse.

They make me joy.gif
#189 of 257 Old 09-05-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
I would start with the pinworm remedies, because natural ones take a while to work, but I'd also seek evidence of the worms, maybe go to the doctor and have a stool sample done.
thank you so much for your response!

Can you recommend any pinworm remedies that a 2 yr. old will take? She refuses garlic, grapefruit seed extract, apple cider vinegar, etc. If it tastes bad she's running. Now I've gotten her so freaked out by all the things I've tried to get her to take that she won't even drink water w/ probiotics in it! I have gotten her to eat pumpkin seeds but who knows if they will really do much.

I brought her to the doctor 2 days ago. He was very nonchalant and unconcerned. He checked her bum and said it looked red & it could very well be pinworms since they are so common and so contagious but I wouldn't know for sure until I saw one. He's a D.O. so he's not meds-happy. He did give me a prescription just so I wouldn't have to go back if I got desperate. He said he knew I wouldn't use it unless I absolutely had to

They make me joy.gif
#190 of 257 Old 09-05-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
thank you so much for your response!

Can you recommend any pinworm remedies that a 2 yr. old will take? She refuses garlic, grapefruit seed extract, apple cider vinegar, etc. If it tastes bad she's running. Now I've gotten her so freaked out by all the things I've tried to get her to take that she won't even drink water w/ probiotics in it! I have gotten her to eat pumpkin seeds but who knows if they will really do much.

I brought her to the doctor 2 days ago. He was very nonchalant and unconcerned. He checked her bum and said it looked red & it could very well be pinworms since they are so common and so contagious but I wouldn't know for sure until I saw one. He's a D.O. so he's not meds-happy. He did give me a prescription just so I wouldn't have to go back if I got desperate. He said he knew I wouldn't use it unless I absolutely had to
The only thing I got my fussy 3-yr-old to take was a little diatomaceous earth in smoothies, baking, etc and the homeopathic rememdy, which was like little candies - that went over well. The diatomaceous earth was the most effective natural remedy I tried. Is your child able to swallow yucky drops hidden in capsules from the health food store? My younger one wasn't but my older ones could.

I had the most faith in handwashing, washing the bedding and toilets regularly, keeping the bottom very clean and using cream there religiously to soothe/prevent eggs being laid. I've also come to terms with the idea that pinworms are very common and even preventing spread within the family might not prevent reinfection. The most important thing to me now is preventing/soothing the worst of the symptoms when they occur, especially the sleep-disrupting itch. Imho, a little vaseline on the bum is not the worst if it does work, especially if you find the coconut oil does not. It might just, though. I used a store-bought zinc-containing barrier cream that I used for the worst diaper rashes, just because I had some leftover on hand.

I've also used leftover lanolin cream, the kind that one puts on cracked nipples when nursing, for all kinds of skin irritations. If you have some, that might be worth a try.

I know some on the thread have seen the worms on their children by doing checks when they are restless at night. If you are brave, you could try sudden bum checks at night or even using a gloved finger to hook them out of your own anus when you feel them active.
#191 of 257 Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona View Post
http://www.drnatura.com/paranil_jr.php
I used this with Kathrynn and it seemed to help..... also their chewable probiotics.
Mona, how old was your child when taking Paranil, Jr.? I see the start dosage age is 4. My DD will be 2 next month. And she is small (only 21 lbs.). I emailed the site but I know they won't get back to me during the holiday weekend and I'm DESPERATE!

Also, I was wondering if there is anything safe for me to take since my DD is still nursing and EVERYTHING says not to take while pregnant or BFing.. ?

They make me joy.gif
#192 of 257 Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
The only thing I got my fussy 3-yr-old to take was a little diatomaceous earth in smoothies, baking, etc and the homeopathic rememdy, which was like little candies - that went over well. The diatomaceous earth was the most effective natural remedy I tried. Is your child able to swallow yucky drops hidden in capsules from the health food store? My younger one wasn't but my older ones could.

I had the most faith in handwashing, washing the bedding and toilets regularly, keeping the bottom very clean and using cream there religiously to soothe/prevent eggs being laid. I've also come to terms with the idea that pinworms are very common and even preventing spread within the family might not prevent reinfection. The most important thing to me now is preventing/soothing the worst of the symptoms when they occur, especially the sleep-disrupting itch. Imho, a little vaseline on the bum is not the worst if it does work, especially if you find the coconut oil does not. It might just, though. I used a store-bought zinc-containing barrier cream that I used for the worst diaper rashes, just because I had some leftover on hand.

I've also used leftover lanolin cream, the kind that one puts on cracked nipples when nursing, for all kinds of skin irritations. If you have some, that might be worth a try.

I know some on the thread have seen the worms on their children by doing checks when they are restless at night. If you are brave, you could try sudden bum checks at night or even using a gloved finger to hook them out of your own anus when you feel them active.
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I have been washing sheets in HOT everyday, and washing hands like crazy. My DD is a child that puts everything in her mouth so it's really stressful thinking eggs are all around us!

Where did you get the diatomaceous earth? I looked at our health store but didn't see it. I don't even know what aisle it would be in though...or is it something I need to order online?

The gloved finger suggestion is great! Not sure why I never thought of that. Sorry if tmi, but I tried it and didn't get anything. I just wish I would see one so I could know FOR SURE, you know? I am wondering if maybe she just has a little diaper irritation and I have hemorrhoids...or it's a yeast thing, who knows. Def feels like something creepy crawly to me though.

They make me joy.gif
#193 of 257 Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 PM

I order my diatomaceous earth online from this source:

http://www.diatomearthoutwest.ca/

I'm in Canada; there may be US sources listed upthread.

It is useful to have on hand for safe pest control - I use it in the garden as well as occasionally adding a little to baking or smoothies. Add a very little to start, like a 1/4 tsp for a smoothie or popsicle or yogurt that your child will finish in a sitting. Too much does have a chalky, gritty taste. I just add 2 tbsp to water for me if I am thinking I might have pinworms, a tbsp occasionally just in case and to clean out my system a bit.
#194 of 257 Old 09-06-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I order my diatomaceous earth online from this source:

http://www.diatomearthoutwest.ca/

I'm in Canada; there may be US sources listed upthread.

It is useful to have on hand for safe pest control - I use it in the garden as well as occasionally adding a little to baking or smoothies. Add a very little to start, like a 1/4 tsp for a smoothie or popsicle or yogurt that your child will finish in a sitting. Too much does have a chalky, gritty taste. I just add 2 tbsp to water for me if I am thinking I might have pinworms, a tbsp occasionally just in case and to clean out my system a bit.
Thanks, you have been such a help. So is this totally safe for children? That's my only hesitation..I just can't seem to find much about it.

They make me joy.gif
#195 of 257 Old 09-06-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks, you have been such a help. So is this totally safe for children? That's my only hesitation..I just can't seem to find much about it.
Do your own research with the company you buy from, and you have to have your own level of satisfaction with regards to your children, but it is my understanding and experience that as long as it is food grade DE, it is safe. It is approved here as an anti-caking agent mixed with food grains and as a feed supplement for organically raised animals, so you and your children may already have consumed some without knowing it via the food you already eat.

It is powdery when dry and you'd want to be careful not to inhale it - like many powdery substances, it could be bad for the lungs when dust is breathed.

ETA here is a youtube that I found helpful when I was researching it. It is by a guy trying to sell the stuff, of course.
#196 of 257 Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Do your own research with the company you buy from, and you have to have your own level of satisfaction with regards to your children, but it is my understanding and experience that as long as it is food grade DE, it is safe. It is approved here as an anti-caking agent mixed with food grains and as a feed supplement for organically raised animals, so you and your children may already have consumed some without knowing it via the food you already eat.

It is powdery when dry and you'd want to be careful not to inhale it - like many powdery substances, it could be bad for the lungs when dust is breathed.

ETA here is a youtube that I found helpful when I was researching it. It is by a guy trying to sell the stuff, of course.
Thanks so much. I ordered some and should have it in a few days. It is scary that it's dangerous to inhale but ok to ingest...if I decide not to use it I can always use it in our garden.

I really wish I could do a parasite cleanse but everything says you can't while BFing.

Last night was miserable for both me and my DD. I'm getting to my wits end! My DH wants to go ahead and take the prescription meds for himself, so I guess I'll let him try it and see what happens.

They make me joy.gif
#197 of 257 Old 09-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
not necessarily. If she has imbalanced gut flora from yeast then she could be more toxic. Not saying it's the case, but something to think about.
i just want to come back to this post to edit.

my dd didn't actually have worms, she had banana seed strands in her diaper. so, i'm going with the idea that she's not actually toxic after all.

eh. who needs a signature?
#198 of 257 Old 09-06-2010, 10:09 PM

Well I talked to a wonderful lady @ our health food store tonight & she told me about the Parasite Purge in the book Coconut Cures. It involves eating dried coconut w/ cloves & gives you recipes. Trying to get the stuff down now. I will report back with the results! Cross your fingers!

They make me joy.gif
#199 of 257 Old 09-08-2010, 01:42 PM

I think the Coconut Parasite Purge is helping. It for sure makes you poop! I felt a lot better last night. I'm still wondering if it got everything. My DH is doing it too and did see a worm expelled. I just don't know if it gets ALL of them? And my DD would only eat a little bit of the cookies, she has pooped twice since then but how do I know if she got them all out?

Does anyone know anything or have you tried heating the house to 95 degrees for 24 hrs to get rid of the worms? I am really worried about reinfecting even if we do get rid of what's in us. I just feel like there are eggs everywhere and I can't possibly kill all of them on my own.

They make me joy.gif
#200 of 257 Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 PM

UGHHH! we tried to coconut purge & leaving the house for over 24 hrs. to heat it. we still have them. we are all miserable. i finally got my food grade diatomaceous earth in and have been using it 3 days and already seeing results.

They make me joy.gif
#201 of 257 Old 09-29-2010, 12:58 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Okay, deep breath, one more thing to get help from the wonderful MDC world on ....

Q: why would heating the house help - isn't your internal temperature (where they live) higher than that, anyway?

I have DE, bought it not knowing why, but so glad I do! How much for kiddos?

The harvest moon was last week, and we just started GAPS - do either of these have to do with why I'm seeing this in my family? Is it possible that a detox diet can lead to the worms evacuating the premises, or is it more likely that it's a coincidence as far as that's concerned and more connected to the moon? (How do they know it's a full moon if we sleep with the blinds shut tight?)
#202 of 257 Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatrlCatholicMama View Post

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Okay, deep breath, one more thing to get help from the wonderful MDC world on ....

Q: why would heating the house help - isn't your internal temperature (where they live) higher than that, anyway?

I have DE, bought it not knowing why, but so glad I do! How much for kiddos?

The harvest moon was last week, and we just started GAPS - do either of these have to do with why I'm seeing this in my family? Is it possible that a detox diet can lead to the worms evacuating the premises, or is it more likely that it's a coincidence as far as that's concerned and more connected to the moon? (How do they know it's a full moon if we sleep with the blinds shut tight?)

I know this thread is old but I'm interested in the answers to these questions. Perhaps someone can help?

#203 of 257 Old 08-14-2011, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bumping up this resourceful thread! We're going to start DE here, tomorrow, it seems... Ugh.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#204 of 257 Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 AM

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would post a question anyway.  DS has had rectal itching for several months now.  No other symptoms.  He says it is itching about an inch inside.  We have been to the Dr.  She thought it was pinworms, we did the scotch tape test and saw nothing.  We did the test from the Drs. office and had it sent to the lab and it came back negative.

We have tried all sorts of exterior creams and still itching.  Doesn't really seem to be worse at night. No diet changes and never an issue with food allergies in the past.

I'm thinking of treating him anyway, but don't like the idea of the pesticide, but am willing to do it to make him less miserable.

Our Dr. says it is possible to have the worms and the tests all be negative.  Has anyone had any experience like this?

Married to DH 18 years when DS was born 9/06! : : : SAHM, Meow
#205 of 257 Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

CarricksMom, it's easy enough to look for pinworms. They come out at night, say after 9 or so, in a dark room and basically squirm around right outside the anus. It's really not so fun to see, but if you go in a dark room after your child has gone to bed and take a flashlight and look at his anus you'll see them if they're there. They are _very_ obvious. If it's not pinworms I really don't know. Oh, and with pinworms they are definitely worse at night, so if you're not seeing that pattern I doubt that's what he has. Maybe some other kind of worm? I don't know.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#206 of 257 Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM

A really well-established case of worms could itch all the time.

You could have him poop in a potty and see if you can see worms in the poop.  

Diatomaceous earth is what worked for us for pinworms - it is a food additive not a pesticide.  We used both the OTC and prescription med. (Edited to add that I mean that we tried both the OTC and prescription meds for pinworms, not that I used a diatomaceous earth cream or something. Sorry to be unclear!)

Does anyone else in the family have symptoms?  IME, when one has pinworms, treating everyone is the way to get rid of them.

#207 of 257 Old 08-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the replies.  No one else has any symptoms.  I have looked in is poop somewhat.  Not really picked it apart too much, but a little.

Beanma, what other kind of worm could it be? 

Married to DH 18 years when DS was born 9/06! : : : SAHM, Meow
#208 of 257 Old 08-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I don't know what other kind of worm it could be, but there are certainly other worms and other types of parasites that we can host. I'm not sure what else would live right there and itch, but maybe something!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#209 of 257 Old 09-06-2011, 11:50 AM

Just cause u don't see the eggs after a couple of test proves nothing they don't lay eggs every night.Apparently only two things kill the eggs heat and some mad chemical which I can't remember.Diatomaceous Earth is good but the worms tend to scatter all over your body so u need to take for 90 days to be sure.1 tablespoon for adults and 1 teaspoon for children everyday.It's hard to keep up for that long so maybe take for 15 days then stop for a week let the remaining worms return to the stomach then take the meds.After 15 days u will also of had a colon cleanse with  the DE so less places for them to hide.I think the best medication is combantrin because it paralyses the worms and stops them migrating.Take three doses 18 days apart,they come in chocolate squares 1 square per 10kg.O and if you got a dog give it them to it worked better than any other dog worming tablet I tried but not for tapeworm.I did read that a yeast infection can also cause itching and also probiotics but wouldn't really know about that.

#210 of 257 Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ack. I read this thread a long time ago and thought. "I hope we never have to deal with this." Now we do. I found two worms at 9:30pm tonight just outside DD's anus. Ugh. We got a letter about a month ago from her class, and she hasn't been complaining too much. Tonight she said she was super itchy and just couldn't stop scratching so I suspected as much. 

She's also a nail biter, which bugs me to no end because it means she always has her fingers in her mouth. Aaargh. And yes, I've warned her that this habit could mean worms, but she didn't care.

We're going to get the prescription worm meds and the DE and do 4 doses of the meds, every 2 weeks along with the DE every day. My concern is the eggs. Tomorrow I'll start the laundry and vacuuming and wiping with clove oil, but how effective is that really? Is it just a losing battle if we manage to kill the living worms but just get re-infested with the eggs?

I just checked her again, 11pm, no other ones...I hope this is early days and we can dose everyone and clean the house and hopefully it won't be super awful.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page