The Pinworm Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 258 Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone currently battling these little nasties?
I'm on day 9 since we found out my kiddos had them and I'm trying not to totally succumb to an all out anxiety attack but it's all I can do to keep up with the laundry (we're re-using NOTHING; every textile in the home gets washed daily except carpets on the floor and upholstery on the sofas) and morning bum washes, let alone wipe down  and vacuum the whole house daily.  

I just need a little comiseration with another mama currently stressing and freaking out imagining her entire home infiltrated with hundreds of thousands of microscopic eggs everywhere, waiting to be inhaled if there's any air movement to lift them towards your face.

I'm pregnant and it's not great to be stressing out to the point of near-panic, but here we are.  The kids have found the medicine to work to remove symptoms immediately (we're due for the second round in 5 days) but as for me.... I haven't ever found any worms, every time I check there's nothing I can see, but I feel a twinge maybe 2-3 times a day in my anus and vulva that I feel certain is not psychosematic.  These are twinges during the day but I guess they don't come out to lay eggs exclusively at night?  It's making me insane.  I have been putting an entire head of garlic up there, garlic paste and zinc oxide on my rectum, and even though it's several hours between twinges, I can't seem to get them to stop altogether.  I take an entire head of crushed garlic orally in the morning, and I did the meds (as did everyone except their stepmom at their dads, because she's also pregnant, although my doctor told me the OTC stuff we are all using is fine).  

30-80% of all kids have this at any one time, so surely I'm not the only mama right now going insane?

Hopefully there are some of you awesome MDC mamas out there who can help me calm down.  I've been reading horrific nightmare worthy stuff on here but even more elsewhere online about them getting into your eyeballs, under your skin, everywhere, and I'm nearly in tears worrying about worst case scenarios.  Should we take the pills every two weeks for a year to be sure?   I'm not in the US so I have no idea where to get the DE, clove oil, gse, etc.... as the names for products are not in english here and no one would know what I was talking about.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#242 of 258 Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM

LOL Im sorry...  I am laughing because I know how you feel.  I can't get the image of these little things on my baby girl out of my head. You are NOT the only one.  I found them on my DD not quite three weeks ago.  She had complained about her bum-bum for a little while, so they were probably there before and I just didn't see them.  You know, in preschool they aren't great wipers, so a little itchyness and rash is no big deal.

I can tell you what I learned:  don't google it.  Dont look at the pictures, dont read about it, dont do any of that.  There's some really awful stories out there that you don't need to read or see.  As awful as it sounds, nothing good can come from google over this once you know what you are dealing with  :)  Its so easy to be obsessed by it, I know!

I was completely freaked out, creeped out, and grossed out.  I treated everyone in the family twice even if they had no symptoms.  We just took our second round this week.  It is possible I may do a third.  I posted handwashing instructions in the bathrooms, and made up a song with my LO "flush, wipe, wash your hands!  in between and on the back! (fingers)"  I also switched her to AM showers instead of evening baths.  

If you would like more info on what we did you are welcome to message me, but don't google any more!!  :)  Remember that those stories are weird and odd; the most likely thing is that if you treat them, and cut off the skin-to-hand path for them to reprodue, you will be just fine. 

#243 of 258 Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 AM

I have been eating raw garlic every day these last 12 days since the first round of meds (actually I have been doing it a bit longer) and I finally got the courage up to check my stool this morning for any sign of worms.  NOTHING.  Whew, that was a relief, I was scared paralyzed that I'd find something.  Not that I dug around or anything, but I examined from all apparent angles (sorry so gross).

Does this mean that I don't have them now (or maybe never did?).  I haven't had any nighttime itching, only 1 or 2 twinges during the day that feel distinctive, but when I run to a mirror and investigate I've never found anything.

Am I a psychosematic nutjob imagining these twinges?  Luckily today I haven't felt even one, yesterday was only 1, and the successful stool peek this morning makes me feel more relaxed that daily vacuuming and laundering everything and twice daily showers might have gotten our house relatively pinworm-free.

I still think I'll take the meds at least two more times, maybe more.  They are so darned expensive AND I'm pregnant (it's the prynium stuff, not the mezo-whatever).  My dr. said it was ok though.

Sigh.  I hope I can stop imagining or having itchy twinges down there now!  I've actually started panicking about what if they are completing their life cycle retro-internally, never coming out to show any symptoms to me, and also have managed to infect my vagina and could get into the cervix and up to the baby?????  Talk about hysterical thoughts.

This is just such a distressing issue.  :(

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#244 of 258 Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 PM

Hey y'all! I recently noticed in my son's stool a white long worm like string twice on seprate ocassons.  I took him to the doctor all he said was it's common for kids to get worms so I had to buy an over the counter medicine since they don't prescribe meds any more.  I did that, I went to the pharmacy and bought Pin X and followed the directions.  Well 2 weeks went by and I started to see the worms coming out dead in his stool and when I would wipe his butt.  I went to the pharmacy and asked the pharmisist how long this medicine took to work he said it should work right away.  So I made an appointment with my son's doctor again and he requested a stool sample which I did and then took it to the lab.  So now i'm still waiting on the results Hopeuflly they will have it this week.  I've changed his diet to more healty foods.  I'm constantly washing clothes since he is wetting the bed every night.  I even tried hold home remedies that people have told me to try such as a banana with cinnamon & putting raw garlic in his foods mine as well just incase.  Well so far they have been coming out dead so hopefully that's a good sign?  Please help what should I do to rid these things.

#245 of 258 Old 09-18-2013, 12:41 AM

They will come out dead either way, so that's not any kind of sign except that there is a breeding ground in your son's intestines and then after the males serve their purpose and impregnate the females, they die and come out in the stool.

You have to take the medicine AGAIN after two weeks, to kill all the new pinworms that hatched since the first round of medication.  It could take two round or ten rounds of those expensive over the counter pills, to finally be rid of them.  There are stronger (much cheaper too) prescription medicine that works better, that my family had to resort to a few months ago that seemed to work better than the expensive over the counter stuff.

cut his nails very short, teach very stringent hot water and soap with nail brush handwashing technique after using the toilet, don't let him eat with his hands, only utensils....  And if you want to know if there is any problem, still, with the worms, shine a flashlight on his anus at night and see if any females come out towards the light.

Oh and everyone in the household needs to be treated, adults can be asymptomatic and have them too and need to follow all the above precautions as well as take the pills.

#246 of 258 Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 AM

Serafina33 What medicine did  y'all use? The only kind they have for worms is PinX here where I live.  I've asked.  I feel like this is the worst thing we've been through :(

#247 of 258 Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 AM

That's an over the counter med.  IF it doesn't work, and you need to take it at least twice, two weeks apart, then there is Mebendazole, available by prescription. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebendazole

Worst thing that's happened to us this year, I understand!

#248 of 258 Old 09-23-2013, 02:32 AM

Ok so we they got the results back and it was postitive for parasites.  The doc didn't tell me what kind though  just that it wasn't the pin worm.  She prescribed Metronidazole for him to take 1 tablet every 8 hours for 10 days, which he has been doing so far for 4 days.  I noticed a change that he hasn't been going to pee as often like the did before so that's good.  I haven't seen any worms come out any more.  The doc said they would come out with the meds but I haven't seen anything.. does anyone know what that means?

#249 of 258 Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 AM

No experience with any other kind of parasites, sorry.

#250 of 258 Old 10-22-2013, 04:21 PM

Oh, thank goodness for this thread and page!
My eleven month old has the classic symptoms. I looked last night when she woke up the first time and saw white threads. I now have to treat the whole family and clean our huge house... sigh. My teenagers are utterly disgusted, but I suspect it was one of their friends with a toddler that brought it in here.
Just a FYI- Agway sells HUGE bags of food grade DE for under $30.
They call it fossil flour (it's DE).
I am starting the dosing with that, and have NEEM powder, and Virgin extracts freeze dried organic concentrate powders of pumpkin, carrot, Noni, and papaya on the way from Amazon. Then I will have all these on hand in case of re infestation and I know my kids will drink smoothies made with spoons of these powders in them.
Will update after a couple weeks. Gosh I hope this never ever happens again. My poor little daughter is waking up 5-7 times a night crying!
#251 of 258 Old 10-22-2013, 06:51 PM

Ok so I have good news the parasites are gone! The doc to prescribed my son flagyl. I'm so thankful. Mommy of 5 hope everything goes well.
#252 of 258 Old 12-17-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny-mommy View Post

I just wanted to add some information about Vermox (mebendazole). In my experience and from my reading I have found that Vermox has very few, if any, side effects. If your liver is impaired you may have problems, or if your wormload is heavy you may have nausea and/or diarrhea. Otherwise, it is a very safe medication. My children, myself, and my dh have had no side effects. It is helminth-specific, so it does not really do much to us. It works by blocking their uptake of glucose, so they slowly die. The OTC medication (pyrantal) is the one that is reported to cause more side effects.

Also, I recently read in a 2006 medical text written for doctors that it is best to treat 3 times: the first time, at 2 weeks, and again at 4 weeks. However, most docs just treat twice. I think undertreatment is a big cause of reinfection.

Additionally, if you don't have insurance or just want to do extra treatments you can obtain the medicine online from an overseas provider. The ones based in Australia or New Zealand are the best, IMO. Apparently, it is an OTC medicine there and not too expensive.

Thank you for this! Ordering Vernox online and doing the 3 doses 2 weeks apart.  Will update.

#253 of 258 Old 12-18-2013, 06:39 AM

A few things I have learned about pinworms that are not often mentioned, but are SOooo helpful...

The best time to detect symptoms:
Their egg laying activity is at its peak during the week before the full moon, and usually around 10-11pm and 2-4 am.  
Consequently, you could think that they're gone, but a month later...:o
If there seems to be a recurring pattern of dry cough, tooth grinding or generally restless sleep around these times, go with some form of treatment (a positive one, not so much a panicky one!  :twothumbs)

A couple SUPER HELPFUL survival tips while an infestation is being cleared up:
If the digestive tract is not very acidic, or if airborne eggs have infected the lungs, those buggers can be in the throat, causing a dry cough just before meals and at night.  Ice water gives some relief (diatomaceous earth mixed into juice helps tremendously), and breathing essential oils like melaleuca or peppermint can chase them back into the digestive tract so everyone can sleep!

Cold water enemas can make a HUGE difference here!!!  
Pinworms or not, everyone should have enema bulbs in their home!

Buy a grocery store enema of an appropriate size, dump out that saline stuff and replace with cold water and insert while the patient is on the toilet  (this isn't a standard administration technique, but there's more dignity in handling it this way, PLUS it's less messy).  If they can hold it in for a bit, encourage that, then let it come.  Repeat (or not).

I wish everyone knew about water enemas: they don't cause cramping and are not "habit forming" like enemas with other stuff in them and a money saver too!  (granted, this isn't something you need to do every day and I only recommend it for pinworms and fevers)

Cold water tightens intestinal muscles naturally (ever had your baby poop when you wipe them with a cold wipe?  An ice cube or cold wet washcloth on the anus can have a similar effect if an enema bulb is not around)  warm water causes the intestine to relax and absorb (so good to know in a dehydrated fever!  LIFESAVING.  First clean out with a cold enema, then administer warm... sounds gross, but seriously your body is already absorbing fluid from the lower digestive tract: that's what that part of the tract is FOR.)  
****Add a little crushed garlic (or garlic powder) to either enema to increase its effectiveness.****
Wash the enema bulb with hot water and a good alkaline soap (a rinse in vinegar is also a good idea, so long as you don't dirty your vinegar bottle) and replace the cap and store in a secure place for re-use.  Or keep buying new ones, but seriously you can reuse them until this issue is cleared up: any traces left on the bulb tip will be washed away with everything else.  
Also WASH YOUR HANDS WELL.  Of course.  
One simple enema before bed during an active night can be all that is needed to guarantee a good night's rest while tackling the overall problem from whatever angle you think best.  An enema can flush out dozens of would-be-egg layers and the others are less likely to travel all the way to the anus if the rectum is cleaned out.

JENinOR likes this.
#254 of 258 Old 12-18-2013, 08:43 PM

Awesome! Thank you!! I just discovered that the meds I ordered are not recommended for under 2 years okd. greensad.gif What am I going to do for my 15 month okd? Ugh. Any ideas ladies?
#255 of 258 Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 PM

I found this thread where a dr. prescribed a 8 month old Vermox, so I'm feeling better about it!  Would love to hear from other mams who had littles take the meds.  http://www.mamapedia.com/article/pinworms-dash-has-anybody-cured-an-8-month-dash-old-or-younger-baby

#256 of 258 Old 12-19-2013, 03:57 PM

SO glad to NOT be battling this problem, but came across this thread while researching for a friend whose son has the classic symptoms.  Good info here I wish I had known when my family was dealing with this!
Another tip I haven't seen in the posts I read here, which may be a helpful addition to any program (UNLESS you are pregnant, in which case you'd be better off using garlic, DE (fossil shell flour) and/or cold water enemas and a good anti-parasitic-food and probiotic regimen):  

Senna (herbal tea) combined with peppermint (herbal tea).  

Senna contains compounds that flush out the intestines within about 12 hours.  A cup of peppermint & senna tea first thing in the morning (you can add juice concentrate, such as cran-raspberry to make it taste better) will loosen everything up (so stay home!) and clean out EVERYthing by bedtime and give a good chance to see (if you dare) how many worms each member of the family has actually been dealing with.  The Senna causes a bit of nausea, cramping and mild fever symptoms in some people, and the peppermint lessens these symptoms while increasing its power to chase out the parasites.
After this flush, any other treatment will more efficiently sweep up whatever was left behind and meanwhile, you'll be dealing with fewer numbers and less junk for them to thrive on.  

A few warnings: DO drink plenty of water the day you take senna (it will work better if you drink plenty the day before too), DO stay home in the second half of the day, and DON'T use senna on a regular basis, as it pulls fluids from other body systems to the digestive tract.  Peppermint tea, on the other hand, would be fine anytime, tastes wonderful with a little sweetening, and is mildly anti-parasitic too. 
Senna in glycerine tincture does NOT work well for intestinal cleansing and even taking it in powdered (capsules) form gives a delayed, prolonged, milder cleanse.  The tea is the best way to go.  
Boil water, remove from heat, add the tea leaves/bags according to package directions (enough to make a good, brown tea--darker than apple juice at LEAST) and cover for 15 minutes.  Strain and sweeten (and/or add juice concentrate).   A cup for an adult seems adequate, or half as much or less for a little one.
I do not know whether senna tea (or male fern or similar herbs) would be safe for use in pregnancy.  But I have read that wormwood and black walnut hulls are NOT.
Wishing the best to anyone in this boat--there is a WONDERFUL life after this creepy trial!!  Hang in there!

JENinOR likes this.
#257 of 258 Old 02-10-2014, 04:39 AM

Hi everyone, Gentian Violet was used to treat pinworms before the medicine was made available. I found a very useful article from The Journal of Pediatrics. http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/0022-3476/PIIS0022347655800054.pdf  It gives all the information on treatment with Gentian Violet for pinworms. I believe the cure rate is 92%. If it were me, I would use the teen dose info age 13-16 for adults as no adult dose is given. Gentian Violet can be found in most drug stores in the first aid section or behind the counter. The Walmart near my home has it in the first aid section.

When I was nursing my daughter we had a horrible battle with Thrush the Nystatin did nothing for us. We used Gentian Violet and it cleared right up. Hope this helps.

To anyone struggling with pinworms, hang in there, it can be beat.

#258 of 258 Old 09-14-2014, 09:02 PM

Hey everyone! I was hoping someone out there had tips for how to handle these in an 8 month old. We've been to her doctor who diagnosed her based on pictures I took and told me to give everyone in the family over the counter Pin X. However when I got home I noticed that it doesn't recommend a dose until 25 lbs or 2 years. She's 20 lbs and 8 months. PinX is our last resort (we're trying Cina first) and I just don't feel comfortable with that option yet... We've all taken our dose of Cina so now I'm just trying to clean well without being too insane and waiting to see some evidence that we are getting rid of them. We also have DE and I'm very close to trying to take some...just super nervous because I suspect I have a heavy worm load and don't want to detox too heavily (my baby is EBF and just kind of playing around with solids).

Any other advice you all can give me for an 8 month old would be great! I am pretty freaked out by this whole situation!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page