The Pinworm Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 258 Old 10-13-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please bump if you find this post useful. -- Caitlin
Pinworms are parasites that reproduce using the human digestive tract. One-third of Americans have pinworms, and 30-80% of children have them because they put their fingers and toys in their mouths. Little girls are particularly susceptible to vaginal pinworms, which causes itching and pain especially at night when they go to bed. One-third of pinworm infections have no symptoms.

*** Children's symptoms of infection (from Aviva Jill Romm's book): night-waking, nighttime bottom itching and pain, bedwetting, tummy-ache, changes in appetite, irritability at bedtime or even during the day, constipation, nose picking, dark circles under the eyes, chronic dry cough, strong appetite for sweets, whininess. "These symptoms may come and go in cycles every few weeks to months." (Romm 2000: page 345).

*** Understanding of Pinworms: Treatment of the whole family takes over a month due to the worms 4-6 week life cycle. Worms exit the anus to lay 10,000 eggs each on the skin. Their wiggling producing itching, and scratching results in the sticky eggs getting lodged under a child's nails. Microscopic eggs become airborne, traveling from the hosts' fingers to whatever they touch, where they can live for 2-3 weeks awaiting their new host. Once ingested, the eggs hatch in the intestines (and elsewhere). Worms look like wiggling lint under a flashlight at night or first thing in the morning. The worms and their eggs will stick to transparent tape applied to the skin around the anus, and the tape can be examined under a magnifying glass. Pinworms may be more common among middle-class and affluent communities, but there is scant evidence for this claim.

*** Topical Treatment at Night ***
Spread over inflamed skin to reduce discomfort and itching. Works immediately and within 3 days.
Salves (i.e. Black Walnut Hull salve from WiseWays Herbals), unsweetened plain yogurt with active cultures (apply and wash off), aloe vera gel, and calendula gel or lotion. Petroleum jelly works too, but I do not recommend it for any use on skin because it is toxic at low levels.

*** Medicines ***
Western pinworm medicines (i.e. Vermox and Pipn-X) kill the adult worms only, allowing reinfection from eggs, and thus requiring multiple treatements for all family members. Black walnut tree leaves (1-2 leaves) steeped as tea daily. Black walnut oil, wormwood tincture, and clove essental oil taken in olive oil 3 times daily works to kill the worms at all life stages. Homeopathic Cina kills worms in the intestines. Grapefruit seed extract takes over a month to work, but can be safe and effective. Fresh garlic helps, and can be taken with honey. Pineapple juice taken twice a day for a month worked for some families. 10-15 raw pumpkin seeds per day will help children (20-30 for adults), and should be taken for 2 weeks. You should follow your treatment plan for 10 straight days, take a break for a 1-2 weeks, and then follow it again for 10 days to prevent reinfestation.

*** Lifestyle ***
* Clip children's nails short. Wash hands at wake-up and through-out the day. Keep children's hands away from their face. Discourage scratching, nail-biting, nose-picking, eye-rubbing.
* Wash bed sheets every 3 days for a month. Change all-cotton underwear at rise and bed. Note that Lysol and similar disinfectant sprays do not kill pinworm eggs. Clove may be effective as a spray, and could be placed in a mister as a few drops of clove essential oil diluted with water, vodka, and pure Castille soap or pure liquid detergent. Oregano oil may also be effective, but could be too strong for young children.
* Bathe in Epsom Salt daily, especially Colonics, such as enemas, can flush out worms and reduce symptoms.

*** Diet ***
* Eat fewer finger foods. Don't share food off each others' plates.
* Eat foods with less sugar, less carbohydrates, and less refined flour.
* Emphasize salty foods.
* Add apple cider vinegar to the diet (1 tspoon in a cup of water, up to 3 times daily) and probiotics (i.e. acidopholus- 4 billion organisms one per day, can be put in a dropper bottle)
* Try to eat: raw carrots, pumpkin seeds, squashes, seseame seeds, sesame seed oil (e.g. 1 tspn. daily), pickles, garlic, asafoetida (an Indian spice), black cumin seeds, fresh pineapple, calmyrna figs and juice, cloves, fennel seed tea (3 cups daily for a week or so), coconut (1 tablespoon at breakfast), papaya seeds (sold in chewable tablets), dark green leafy vegetables, beets, pomegranates, hot peppers, onions.
copperfox likes this.
#2 of 258 Old 10-13-2007, 03:34 PM

Thank you for that post, very informative.

Have you had personal experience with an infected child? Would you use a non-medicine treatment without having a positive diagnosis from a doctor first?

I have an almost 19 month old that wakes ALL.THE.TIME. at night. I find myself wondering if her waking is a) normal b) a symptom of a food allergy/sensitivity c) pin worm infection or d) something else completely! Ah, the joys of over analyzing your nursing, waking baby! :

Jill
#3 of 258 Old 10-13-2007, 10:31 PM

Thank you!! I remember having pinworms as a child and it grossed me out! My 15 MO has been signing "potty" VERY frequently at bedtime/naptime and I couldn't figure out why. I thought she was just fighting sleep! She has been poking around "down there", picking her nose, and screaming when I try to examine her vulva. She's also been constipated - FOREVER. Not sure if it is entirely related. But we were just at the ped last week! Shouldn't they have noticed if she had pinworms? How do I verify this is what it is?

I can do the epsom salt baths and changing undies frequently. In fact, I let her go diaper-free quite a bit. Could be part of the problem??!! Maybe I should start putting her in cloth trainers more often instead.

Does the yogurt help the infection or just the symptoms?

I'm going to go get a flashlight and look right now!

ETA: I checked and didn't see anything wiggling. There is some white-ish stuff that looks like discharge but I can't tell if it is diaper ointment for her little red bottom. Should I assume it is pinworms anyway?

#4 of 258 Old 11-07-2007, 09:46 PM

my 2 y/o has it. i wouldnt have noticed but my son saw her go on the floor and said theres worms in it! and you couldnt tell at first, but then you look close..there they are. i got the meds, but I really want to do natural remedies first. Doing yogurt tonight, going to find black walnut to do that as well. I read mugwort...anyone try that? it was in a older mothering magazine from the 80's. no one else is having symptoms...she was having symptoms 2 weeks ago and i thought i saw them, but then kept looking all the time, looked in the poop and found none....but i gave her pumpkin seeds anyway. figured it couldnt hurt. but shes had a bad rash for a month now and i thought it was the diarrhea but now i know why. ick. i feel so icky lol. i hope i dont have it, ive been nervous about pinworm for months actually because my butt was really itchy! but i kept looking and finding none. now im not itchy anymore, but i was a few months ago. i swore I had them, but i never found any. anyway, this is gross. lol.

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#5 of 258 Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 PM

I've just been wondering about pinworms as well. My dd keeps saying her nappie (diaper) hurts and we've done everything we could think of to help her but she kept saying it. I have tried to give her more vocabulary to describe what she's feeling like itching and uncomfortable but to no avail. We have looked at night with a flashlight, and at her poop, but we have not seen anything. Will you always see worms at night or only sometimes? i.e. would I have to look every night for a week to see evidence? I agree with the pp this is so gross. I didn't even know about pinworms until a couple weeks ago. Don't know how I missed it. Yuck and ick. Yick.
#6 of 258 Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 AM

We've dealt with these multiple times, it's disturbing, but not really dangerous. I suspect many people have them and don't realize it.

A few things I've learned from experience:

If one of my kids is waking at night fussy, this is the first thing I check for...use a flashlight to check the rectum and if they're there you will almost certainly see them.
It takes work and time to get rid of them and re-infection is very likely...they have a 2-week life cycle so everything has to be done for 2-4 weeks. I put vaseline on the anus of the infected child every night for several weeks. This prevents the worms from laying their eggs and interrupts the life cycle. I didn't know it was toxic : so I may look for an alternative if we have to do this again.
I also make sure everyone's nails are cut short, everyone bathes and changes panties first thing in the morning, and the sheets are washed every other day. Lots of laundry is involved.

I have used an otc treatment before when desperate, but we've managed them without it, and I don't think I'd do it again. The main thing is not to panic and realize they won't really cause harm and that they really are everywhere and quite easy to get.

I would encourage you to check for pinworm if you DC is waking at night, we've found that getting rid of them makes a huge difference!

Keri, wife to Tony, mom to five DDs: M ('96), S('01), E('04), A('07) and J('10);
#7 of 258 Old 11-10-2007, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So, is the only way to find out to look at the child's anus during the night with a flashlight or can you look in their poop? Will they be wriggling around in the poop?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#8 of 258 Old 11-10-2007, 11:55 PM

Two of my kids have had them 2X each, and we've never seen them in the poo. (not because I haven't checked, either, )

I know of people who have seen them in their DC poop, but I've only ever seen them crawling around on the kids. I can tell when the worms are active by the kids behavior, and I've gotten good at recognizing it and knowing when to check.

Keri, wife to Tony, mom to five DDs: M ('96), S('01), E('04), A('07) and J('10);
#9 of 258 Old 11-12-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjayjay View Post
I can tell when the worms are active by the kids behavior, and I've gotten good at recognizing it and knowing when to check.
Could you elaborate on what kind of behavior you see in your kids that keys you in to this?

Thanks!!

Jill
#10 of 258 Old 11-12-2007, 02:32 PM

I'll try to explain it, but it's sort of a knowing your own DC kind of thing. We've found the worms are active late evening, not necessarily when the kids are asleep, but when they're winding down and getting sleepy. They will get fussy but not in a "I need something but I don't know what I want" way, or a generally whiny way like they normally would when sleepy. The pinworm fussy is more of a spasming, or shrieking kind of fussy. They'll writhe around like they're uncomfortable but won't be able to tell you what's wrong. One of my DDs would tell me her bottom was itchy, but the other one wouldn't be able to articulate what was bugging her.

HTH

#11 of 258 Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 AM

#12 of 258 Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 PM

bump
#13 of 258 Old 01-04-2008, 05:42 PM

Homeopathic cina would be a good start. It's great for parasites and totally safe.
#14 of 258 Old 01-04-2008, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Personally, I wouldn't try and de-worm my children if I thought they had pinworms. Those pinworms are there to do a job, and I would let them finished it. Radical yes, but read this article about a mainstream doctor who thinks intestinal parasites aren't all that bad.

The article begins with a quote that states, "What if I told you there were countries where the doctors had never seen hay fever?"

Quote:
The crux of that scientific revolution is a bit of role reversal. The parasites that we have been told to avoid - such as hookworm and pinworm - may be the good guys, while excessive hygiene may be the bad guy.
I also wanted to say, I didn't just come by this info. I have been aware of the "benefits" of pathogens such as parasites for sometime now.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#15 of 258 Old 01-04-2008, 06:44 PM

ITA with Uccomama. That is why I love homeopathy. It doesn't work like an herb or medicine. It will create the shift the body needs so that it doesn't require the parasites any longer. IMO it's the only way to go. It can be a huge mistake to interrupt healing. Homeopathy respects the body's innate wisdom and supplies it with the tools necessary to heal.
#16 of 258 Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 PM

If I child has pinworms then there is an underlying reason why they are there. Parasites cannot easily thrive in healthy cells, so a child isn't going to pick them up by scrabbling in the dirt or not washing their hands unless there is some toxicity in the body. I know of someone who intentionally give himself tapeworm to cure a bowel elimination issue. It worked.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#17 of 258 Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 AM

Wow! Thank you for this discussion!

#18 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 10:29 AM

So I think my three year old has pinworms, but I've not been able to catch the buggers so far. But he is waking at night, almost every night, and writhing and screeching and can't tell me what's wrong. He's not sleeping well and neither am I having to wake up and comfort him all the time. My first thought is to treat him! I'm thinking if he's infected he's got health issues... Maybe I need to up his nutrition/change his diet so his immune system is better, but that the worms need to be eliminated for that to happen as they absorb nutrients from him. His night wakings/anxiety/misbehavior started when we changed over to a vegetarian diet, which I read last night can make a worm infestation worse! Can someone explain to me some more the concept of them being beneficial or why NOT to treat?
#19 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't try and de-worm my children if I thought they had pinworms. Those pinworms are there to do a job, and I would let them finished it. Radical yes, but read this article about a mainstream doctor who thinks intestinal parasites aren't all that bad.
Have you ever had them? Really and acutely had them? Its not exactly a picnic. I had pin worms for over six months as a small child. I was too embarrassed to tell my mom what was going on. It was excruciating. I itched like I never have before or since, and since the itch was inside my anus there was nothing I could do about it. I tried putting creams on the outside of my bottom, inserting them inside. I tried manually removing the worms (sorry, TMI), forcing bowl movements, taking hot baths: nothing relieved the horrible, horrible itching and the feeling of things squirming around in there. I spend hours in tears of panic and discomfort, lost maybe 2-3 hours of sleep every night or more. It was horrible, absolutely torturous for me.

My daughter, 4 years old, came down with a case of them this winter. She was very wakeful for three nights, unusually so. One night she came out of bed crying with an expression of pure misery on her face. I knew that look: I remembered it well. When I checked her bottom later that night after a warm bath: sure enough: pinworms.

I would never, ever not treat pinworms in some way or another. My experience was just too horrible. How can losing nutrients to the worms, losing three hours of sleep every night, and spending hours every night in an elevated state of discomfort and panic be beneficial to someone trying to heal?
#20 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 02:00 PM

Well, if you are unable or unwilling to clean up the diet and let them finish doing hte job then maybe you'd have to treat the infection. All of these things are a result of toxicity in the body. The only way to make it better is to make the body less toxic. I am in full agreement with uccomama that they are a sign of imbalance. I too would let them work until they were done. I would not sit there and twiddle my thumbs if we had them though. I'd be paying REAL close attention to the overall constitution and doing what I could to eliminate the source of the problem.

Ultimately you do have to do what *you* think is best. I would not be content killing them off knowing that there was something deeper going on in my kid. But, you are not me and you may have a very different perspective.
#21 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 02:55 PM

If I may ask, StrongBeliever, what made you go vegetarian? It's really not something to be taken lightly...not that you are, but I am curious as to the process and where you found the information about parasites being made worse.

#22 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Well, if you are unable or unwilling to clean up the diet and let them finish doing hte job then maybe you'd have to treat the infection. All of these things are a result of toxicity in the body. The only way to make it better is to make the body less toxic. I am in full agreement with uccomama that they are a sign of imbalance. I too would let them work until they were done. I would not sit there and twiddle my thumbs if we had them though. I'd be paying REAL close attention to the overall constitution and doing what I could to eliminate the source of the problem.

Ultimately you do have to do what *you* think is best. I would not be content killing them off knowing that there was something deeper going on in my kid. But, you are not me and you may have a very different perspective.
I couldn't have said it better! Thanks FF.

#23 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
I couldn't have said it better! Thanks FF.
For some reason despite mercury being in retrograde I am experiencing clarity of thought
#24 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 03:42 PM

I'm really confused about "let them do their work"...what good do they do? Our family discovered we had them a week ago (I also had them as a child) and they, and lice, are a very common occurance in the elementary school age families around here.

There is no way I can let them be; both my child and I were miserable with the symptoms. I also didn't want the risk of infecting others in my house visiting.

I would really like a better understanding of the benefits of not treating a parasite infection. I am afflicted with viruses, bacterial infections, etc. in times of stress and poor diet and lack of exercise...but knowing the cause (or partial cause) does not mean I don't treat the symptoms.
#25 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 03:45 PM

I'm certainly not taking the whole vegetarian thing lightly, though I do appreciate the warning because I think soooo many people do. In reality, I am more a TF inclined kind of person, but when getting together with my husband, I went vegetarian because he was. Dumb, I know. But I figured I be all right because I've got a pretty good grasp on health. Nothing but whole foods and organic, no soy. I'm regretting jumping into it so quickly, and having my son jump with me. I am also regretting not standing up to my DP and saying it wasn't working for me sooner... But things are better now, meeting in the middle and whatnot. But I believe the switch did bad things for my son and myself, that I am now having to correct.

For some time now he's been having difficulty and I've chocked it up to growing pains and trying to cope with the changes in diet and stress over a blending family. Worms totally didn't occur to me until just recently. In an information gathering frenzy I stumbled across a paragraph somewhere saying that a low protien, high carb diet can worsen an already present infection. If I can find the article again, I'll post it. But it makes me feel pretty terrible. I too believe that it's all connected... The worms wouldn't be there if there weren't some thing wrong to begin with. We lived on a farm previously, and I'm sure he was exposed to worms playing outside. They probably weren't a big deal and his system would have kicked them, but then I switched his diet and added stress to his little world and he's been battling anxiety, insomnia, restlessness, and immune weakness since then. I've been at a loss as to what his problem has been, have been working on his diet and on the stress and the problems are still there. And after reading I see he's got ALL the symptoms of a pinworm infection, only I've not seen one on him yet... Well, I might have seen one, but I can't be sure.... I think it escaped back in. *shudder* So I'm assuming he does.

So how would I address the whole issue? How to make him entirely healthy again if he's already infested without killing off the suckers. Won't they just keep undoing all my efforts? I am not interested in conventional medicine... Wanting to go the natural, holistic route. Any help from those that have BTDT?
#26 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macheetah View Post
I'm really confused about "let them do their work"...what good do they do? Our family discovered we had them a week ago (I also had them as a child) and they, and lice, are a very common occurance in the elementary school age families around here.

There is no way I can let them be; both my child and I were miserable with the symptoms. I also didn't want the risk of infecting others in my house visiting.

I would really like a better understanding of the benefits of not treating a parasite infection. I am afflicted with viruses, bacterial infections, etc. in times of stress and poor diet and lack of exercise...but knowing the cause (or partial cause) does not mean I don't treat the symptoms.
They clean up debris. Most people eat things that aren't meant for consumption or that their bodies simply cannot handle. Other people do really bad things to food that should be healthful.

The idea is (with any infection: bacterial, viral or otherwise) that it's doing a job. IF you interrupt it then you are just opening yourself up to more problems down the road. They aren't your enemy. I believe wholeheartedly that they should be allowed to finish their job. In the end you will be healthier for it. Same idea with a fever. You DON'T suppress it or you just lengthen the time of infection and further deplete the body's reserves.

What this means is that you CANNOT continue dumping things into your body and providing them with more work. Then you won't get rid of them because they will have alot to do. If you fixed the toxicity issue and cleaned things up they would finish clearing things out and move on by themselves. Then what you have is a well nourished body free of toxins AND parasites.
#27 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongBeliever View Post
So how would I address the whole issue? How to make him entirely healthy again if he's already infested without killing off the suckers. Won't they just keep undoing all my efforts? I am not interested in conventional medicine... Wanting to go the natural, holistic route. Any help from those that have BTDT?
I would listen more to uccomama on this one.

My understanding is this (and hopefully she'll chime in)
eliminate fiber (parasites in general thrive on it)
increase raw fat (coconut oil, raw butter, avocado etc.)
plenty of raw milk and eggs if you can tolerate them (if there are no allergies)
raw honey
lots and lots of green juices

This has cleared ALOT up for me and dd (who had a parasite issue.)

We don't do conventional meds at all, so that wasn't even an option. However I was shocked at how quickly this worked. I also included meat. It was a complete turnaround in a couple of days for me. Dd took longer, but had many issues beyond the parasite. She did do raw eggs, but also had some cooked.

I was consuming a TON of veggies, and honestly juicing instead of eating them was one of the biggest and most important changes IMO.
#28 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 04:10 PM

http://www.appliedozone.com/parasites.html

Look under Parasite Signs, a little down the page.

"High carbohydrate diet, low in protein, and high in alkaline has been found to make parasitic infections worse. Sugar should also be avoided because parasites thrive on it and it is possible you could have candida. This candida or yeast infections create an environment in the colon that equals the environment needed for them to thrive. Foods that lower pH from high alkaline conditions in the colon are apple cider vinegar and cranberry juice."

Moving on from that, to "worms having a job to do"...

We eat an embarrassing amount of bread... Wheat in general. Whole and organic, but still wheat. Could it be compromising our systems? Giving the worms something to do? I have a feeling we might be wheat sensitive, but I'm not quite ready to have that battle with DP. But if it would make my son well enough to ditch the worms, I'll do it.
#29 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM

Firefaery I am in complete awe... The more posts of yours I read, the more I want to read!

#30 of 258 Old 02-13-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks Firefaery... I had no idea about the fiber thing! Yikes! We do raw coconut oils, and before moving here we did lots of raw dairy. Will have access to raw dairy again shortly, thank all that is good. We do eggs and dairy just fine. I'm just really surprised about how quickly his health(mine too, bleh) declined after moving away from those things. He was such a healthy kid before. I think it must have been the fact that we still let A LOT of junk slip past while eating our good stuff. Now we have eliminated all the junk, but aren't getting the good stuff like pastured meat and free range eggs and raw dairy.

So juicing... Does the fiber in fruits and veggies really make life better for the worms, or is it mainly grain fiber? If you get rid of most of the fiber, how does that effect elimination habits while eating so much meat and dairy? I've always thought fiber was such a healthy thing. Can you bring it back after the worms are gone? I'm totally down for ditching most of the grain, but I'd want to keep my whole veggies and fruit.

If I were to follow the above guidelines, could we institute killing measures after a while or would the worms leave on their own?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page