Floradix for infant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-14-2007, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 12 month old is slightly anemic (10) and my ped prescribed Ferrous Sulfate to give him. After reading the information that came with the prescription I really don't want to use it. I want to use Floradix instead so I bought some yesterday. Has anyone here used Floradix for their infant and how much did you use and how did you give it to him/her? He drinks through a straw really well so I was considering just mixing it with juice - I am just not sure how much as it doesn't say on the bottle.

Any ideas or guidance? I want to get this resolved fairly quickly. His older brother was (very) anemic at this age and they were both IUGR at birth. So I was expecting it this time around too and have been feeding him iron-rich foods with fruit and without dairy since he was 10-11 months old, but want to use a supplement now.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-14-2007, 10:11 PM

I believe floradix has honey in it. There is a gluten-free version that doesn't have honey, iirc, but I have never purchased it so I am not totally sure. I think it's called floravital.

I'd call a doctor or naturopath about the dosage if you're not sure. Iron overdose can be VERY serious and dangerous in babies.
#3 of 5 Old 10-14-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, didn't even think about the honey. I saw the gluten free one next to the one I got but didn't really look at it. He's older than 12 months though.

I just saw that there is a Floradix for kids but I didn't see it at Whole Foods yesterday, maybe I'll call them tomorrow.
#4 of 5 Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Why not find a pediatric iron supplement so you can be sure it has what is ok for children?
#5 of 5 Old 10-14-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

I have some blackstrap molasses in the pantry too - maybe I could glaze some carrots with it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page