ear help. dizzy, ear pain, sore neck HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-16-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 weeks ago I was putting the kids to bed. I was feeling a little dizzy. I got up to get someone a drink of water and could not make it down the hallway without holding onto the walls. I was extremely dizzy.

I got back in dd's bed and my head continued to spin. I felt sick, the spinning was making my stomach hurt. I tossed and turned all night long. By morning my head hurt and my stomach. My whole body actually. I could not get out of bed. It hurt to have anyone even touch the bed. Just don't move me! I had ice pack on my head and I took my prescription for migraine. It didn't help. Throwing up didn't even help. : I am pretty sure I had a fever but I didn't take my temp. Luckily it was Sunday and dp didn't work. He took on kid duty.

I started to feel a tiny bit better after taking Dramamine. I was finally able to eat something around 6 PM and by night I was able to sleep. The next few days my ear hurt and I was a little dizzy but nowhere near that day.

Fast forward two weeks. On Saturday the 13th my other ear starts to hurt. It has been hurting more and more. The first ear still hurts but is the 2nd ear that is really painful. It is way inside the ear that hurts. My neck is even hurting.

I am about to break down and go to the dr. but I really don't want to. I don't want to have to be a pawn in his guessing game. "I don't know what is wrong, here take this!" UGH! So I need to try something from home that will help me out. I really do not feel good!! It seems to get worse as the day goes. Like in the morning it isn't as bad but by bedtime my ear is really hurting.

Oh....I have no idea if it is related but I had a chiropractic adjustment 2 days before the first dizzy spell.
#2 of 8 Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

#3 of 8 Old 10-16-2007, 08:18 PM

With the dizziness it sounds like you may have an inner ear infection, YUCK!!!!! They are NO fun!!!

I have had one and it was the worst thing I have ever experienced. I was dizzy all the time. I almost ended up in the hospital because I couldnt keep any liquids down. It took me almost a year to fully recover.

I would definitely go to the dr.

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#4 of 8 Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 PM

I don't have any brilliant ideas except going to the doctor and being a pawn in hopes of an answer sooner rather than later.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#5 of 8 Old 10-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That sounds really awful. If you don't want to go to the doctors I would suggest some good ol' immune system builders. Echinacea, goldenseal, elderberry, vitamin C (high doses, up to 5000 mg if your stomach can handle it),garlic, zinc. Although it sounds like it's a deep ear infection you could try garlic mulien ear drops or tea tree oil ear drops. If you can't get to a health store, you can just simmer some garlic in olive oil for a bit, until it smells really garlicy, then put a couple of drops in each ear. Refrigerate it, but warm it up to room temp. before putting it in there.

Some ideas from Rosemary Gladstar's Family herbal:

You can also try onion packs. Wrap hot sauteed onions ub a fkabbek cloth and apply it directly to both ears (one at a time). Reheat the onions as needed. Leave hot onion pack on for 30-45 minutes, longer if possible.

Acidophilus several times a day.

Warming tea of grated ginger, fresh lemon juice, adn honey.

Tradional chinese medicine : kidneys are directly connected to the ears, so lots of fluid and warm packs placed over the lower back.

Well, I hope that doesn't overwhelm you with info! I hope that you are feeling better soon.

#6 of 8 Old 10-16-2007, 08:30 PM

My mom had some ear pain last year. It was so bad that she had my Dad drive her to the ER at 3am. The last time my Mom had been to a hospital (for herself)was when she had my sister 18 years ago. It was bad.

I think it was an ear infection. She also had eczema in her ear. She was given drops and it helped. I would say go to the doctor! It wasn't a "guessing game". They knew what the problem was as soon as they saw her. *I* just can't remember what it was. :
#7 of 8 Old 10-16-2007, 08:48 PM

I get inner ear infections about twice a year. I feel like crap and I get extremely dizzy. But I don't think my ear has ever actually hurt. My doctor always gives me antibiotics, a decongestant, and meclizine (for dizziness & nausea).

You can get meclizine over the counter now, labeled as Bonine I think. It's sold as a motion sickness medicine (I believe it's the same as the non-drowsy Dramamine, but Bonine is chewable, so it's faster acting.) I hate Dr. visits and medications (I'll avoid them if at all possible), but with this it has been the only option for me. It's one case where I think the antibiotics are necessary. Nothing else has worked, and I'm really scared to mess around with my ears.
#8 of 8 Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks every one. I will update with how it turns out. I am going to try two-three more days of natural meds and if it isn't working then I will book a doctor appointment.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page