Mothering Forum banner

Yellow stools with mucus and undigested food

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Chinese Pistache 
#1 ·
My dd has multiple food allergies and about 3 weeks ago, we gave her (over the course of 4 days) a food that we thought was safe. It turned out it contained one of her known allergens (though not labeled as such). We took her off the food, but since then, her eczema has been flaring, her stools have turned yellow with mucus and chunks of food. Oh, she did have diarrhea the first few days, but it evolved into the yellow bm and still hasn't normalized.

I'm not sure what to do. If it's allergy related, shouldn't it have returned to normal by now? If it's not, and it's an infection of some sort, what should I do? We obviously want to avoid antibiotics of any sort (that's part of what got us here
. Any natural remedies?

I found this at about.com. . .

Quote:
Yellow Stool

Yellow stool can indicate that food is passing through the digestive tract relatively quickly. Yellow stool can be found in people with GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Symptoms of GERD include heartburn, chest pain, sore throat, chronic cough, and wheezing. Symptoms are usually worse when lying down or bending. Foods that can worsen GERD symptoms include peppermint, fatty foods, alcohol, coffee, and chocolate.

Yellow stool can also result from insuffient bile output. Bile salts from the liver gives stool its brownish color. When bile output is diminished, it often first appears as yellow stool. If there is a greater reduction in bile output, stool lose almost all of its color, becoming pale or grey.

If the onset is sudden, yellow stool can also be a sign of a bacterial infection in the intestines.
Any suggestions for me?

See less See more
#5 ·
It can take awhile for my daughters system to calm down when she consumes something she shouldn't (soy seems to be the worst for the persistant reaction.) Can she take the enzymes in a daily smoothie of some sort? That's how I get my dd to take priobotics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.