3.5 years old, blood in stool and negative tests (update on post #8) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HELP! I'm so confused. My 3.5 year old has had blood in his stool for 2 weeks now. He had blood work and a few different stool sample tests done and everything came back negative. So, the Dr. is going to see him on Wed but what in the world can this be? It isn't in every single poop but sometimes there's so much blood that it's all you see and when you wipe his tush, it's bloody. He doesn't drink cows milk, except for the occasional special organic strawberry milk treat. He does eat a lot of cheese but he has since he was littler. (I know blood can show a milk intoloerance, right?) Any clues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My only suggestions are Chron's or Colitis. My ds was recently diagnosed with celiac disease, so I've done a preliminary review of various intestinal problems and I remember these listed blood in stool as symptoms.

I hope you get an answer!
#3 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 04:17 PM

What color is the blood--bright red, dark red, black? The color helps you pinpoint locations. You see large amounts in the stool itself or just when you wipe? How much blood? What tests have they done that came back ok? Any other things about the stool--diarrhea, constipation, mucus, etc.?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
What color is the blood--bright red, dark red, black? The color helps you pinpoint locations. You see large amounts in the stool itself or just when you wipe? How much blood? What tests have they done that came back ok? Any other things about the stool--diarrhea, constipation, mucus, etc.?
It was bright red and it was hard to tell if it was mixed in with the stool or just on the outside of it. (My Dr. asked me this same thing) There was blood both in the toilet and when I wiped. The stool varies- mushy and then normal, no constipation. They tested his stool for parasites and bacterial infections. Other than that, I'm not sure if there was anything else tested. We did a 3 days test and then 3 other samples.
#5 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 07:18 PM

The brighter the red the lower the injury or issue is typically occuring. So to me if person were asking about bright red blood in stool surface and on wiping I would think hemorrhoid or anal fissure is the most likely culprit. But you would think those would go along with constipation so without that I'm sort of stumped. That is still my best guess though. Doesn't sound to me like bacterial or anything so no surprise the stool samples didn't come back with anything. You know, if this persists I'd be looking into a sigmoidoscopy (spelled incorrectly I'm sure...but looking at the lower colon and also the rectum and anus). Any higher up and I don't think this would be bright red. So if it persists I think you need to see a pediatric GI.
But still my guess is that this is fissure or hemorrhoid related--but he didn't have a bout of constipation prior to it? Fissures would cause pain generally but hemorrhoid might not. I'm ruling out some other things because he doesn't appear to be sick, right? No fever or anything?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
The brighter the red the lower the injury or issue is typically occuring. So to me if person were asking about bright red blood in stool surface and on wiping I would think hemorrhoid or anal fissure is the most likely culprit. But you would think those would go along with constipation so without that I'm sort of stumped. That is still my best guess though. Doesn't sound to me like bacterial or anything so no surprise the stool samples didn't come back with anything. You know, if this persists I'd be looking into a sigmoidoscopy (spelled incorrectly I'm sure...but looking at the lower colon and also the rectum and anus). Any higher up and I don't think this would be bright red. So if it persists I think you need to see a pediatric GI.
But still my guess is that this is fissure or hemorrhoid related--but he didn't have a bout of constipation prior to it? Fissures would cause pain generally but hemorrhoid might not. I'm ruling out some other things because he doesn't appear to be sick, right? No fever or anything?
If he's straining to poop, it would surprise me because I'm right there. He makes a normal grunt but it's nothing out of the unusual. He doesn't act constipated, no pain. In fact, sometimes when there is a lot of blood, he acts as though his tummy hurts a little bit but more like a gas pain. That has only happened once or twice. His stool doesn't look constipated at all. My Mom is a nurse and she looks at it, too and she said it looks like normal bowel movements. It's strange. I will ask for the pediatric GI if the ped. finds nothing on Wed. Thanks for that advice. I wouldn't think to ask that! And no, he doesn't seem to be sick.
#7 of 11 Old 10-23-2007, 12:44 AM

Do his stools pass very quickly? I think that can cause an anal fissure as well. So even if the stool is soft, a quick passage through the rectum could cause a slight tear since the stool doesn't ease its way through giving the tissue time to accommodate. I seem to remember reading that somewhere but I could be wrong.

Sara:  Playing ref to my jumpers.gif    Sweet Pea 10 read.gif Tootle Pants 7 bouncy.gif& Trouble Monkey diaper.gif 18 mo

#8 of 11 Old 10-25-2007, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

I took him to the Dr. yesterday and she didn't think it was a fissure. She said it was too much blood and for too long of a time. She's sending him to a Pediatric GI to see what's going on. His labs did show an abnormal amount of blood in his stool and he's only gained 4 oz. since May, which she said she's concerned about. I'm a nervous wreck.
#9 of 11 Old 10-25-2007, 03:49 PM

no matter what the problem, if it is in the gut probioticswill help. but you want a good quality one. you could read the healing the gut cheat sheet sticky here. in post #20 natren brand is recomended they make one probiotic for kids. I would get it if i were you. I have been trying to heal my families gits and figure out their allergies for a while now. just saying that b/c i've read alot of healing the gut tribe tr\hreads and the woman who made most of the sticky janes i think really know what she talking about. and i would stop the cheeze immidiately if i were you. the damage could have been progressive and cheeze is difficult to digest if you have no issues. you dont want to make it worse for your little guy.
#10 of 11 Old 10-25-2007, 03:59 PM

I have no ideas or advice, just wanted to give you and wish you good luck in figuring this out soon, and that it's nothing big.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#11 of 11 Old 10-25-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilamama View Post
no matter what the problem, if it is in the gut probioticswill help. but you want a good quality one. you could read the healing the gut cheat sheet sticky here. in post #20 natren brand is recomended they make one probiotic for kids. I would get it if i were you. I have been trying to heal my families gits and figure out their allergies for a while now. just saying that b/c i've read alot of healing the gut tribe tr\hreads and the woman who made most of the sticky janes i think really know what she talking about. and i would stop the cheeze immidiately if i were you. the damage could have been progressive and cheeze is difficult to digest if you have no issues. you dont want to make it worse for your little guy.
He is on probiotics. A really good kind, too. I started him on them as soon as I noticed it. I'm not sure that he has a milk allergy. He's had cheese for years now. I'll wait and see what the GI says. Thanks!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page