5 yo--bad breath, soft stools??? worried... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the bad breath in the mornings (not teeth related, we checked) has started, on and off, when she was about 2.5. in the last months it is almost every morning. she also had soft stools for years--not diarhea, though.

she's been complaining too about feeling nauseous after she eats just a bit, a couple of spoonfulls. but she is a big drama queen, so i'm not entirely sure she is not coming up with this because *i* had talked about my nausea while i was in the first trimester.

she was tested for allergies when she was 2.5 and nothing was found. recently she started eating more sugary things, but still very little, but the same problems were present even when she was practically off sugar.

i mentioned these concerns to a family dr, and he her stools were within normal. but now i'm concerned about the foul moth smell, which i forgot to mention to him.

any ideas re what this can be and what to do?
#2 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 PM

Hi,

I was just looking at this site today, and I don't know if it will help, but it is worth taking a look. Good luck.

http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionbacteria.htm
#3 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 10:55 PM

Check into celiac disease. Her stools don't sounds normal.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#4 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 PM

My daughter's poop got firmer (at age 3.5yr) from eliminating wheat. I don't think we've got celiac, I don't think it's that severe, but I think wheat (gluten, really) doesn't agree on some level (I doubt testing would've found it, there just weren't enough significant symptoms--maybe that's my ignorance and the symptoms don't have to be severe).
#5 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 11:30 PM

The symptoms don't have to be severe. They weren't in my kids, and I went from being relatively fine and few symptoms to extremely sick in one day.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#6 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 11:38 PM

See? I've got plenty of ignorance to go around!
#7 of 10 Old 10-30-2007, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

thanks. i looked up celiac's and even though she doesn't have most of the symptoms, they do say that it can be even asymptomatic. and she does have brown spots on her front teeth, which could be tooth discoloration they are talking about.

how do i convince a family doc to do the blood test? they keep telling me that she is all normal, as she doesn't have any other symptoms.

i'd like to try the gluten free diet--she already eats very little gluten on a regular basis, though we do have an occasional pasta day--but i'm afraid DH won't agree to try without knowing for sure. he "can't" have a meal without bread--will refuse eating if there is no bread, even if he is hungry: i don't think we can follow a gluten free diet only for her, it would be too difficult for her.
#8 of 10 Old 10-30-2007, 08:57 AM

actually the blood tests have a lot of issues- borderline positives and that sort of thing. the best bet is to send a stool sample yourself to a lab-- drawing a blank on the name-- the test results are a lot more conclusive... Check out www.celiac.com there are lots of discussions about the lab info on their parenting kids with celiac message board. best of luck with it!
#9 of 10 Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 AM

My son had those symptoms along with a few other symptoms (like trouble sleeping) and we first went gluten-free, which helped some, and then started the dairy-free version of SCD (Specific Carb Diet) a la www.pecanbread.com. I recommend perusing the Healing The Gut stickie. Bad breath plus soft stools definitely means some difestive problems, and there will only be worsening symptoms from here.

BTW, my son was also on a very healthy, almost all organic, sugar-FREE diet. So it's not about not feeding him healthy food. Don't feel guilty (I know I did at first).

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#10 of 10 Old 10-30-2007, 10:27 AM

Not to be an alarmist but I would do a stool sample test.
We had similar symptoms with our eldest and it turns out
he at least has the bacteria c. difficile in his gut.
He had ROTTEN breath for over 2 years along with
periodic explosive stools that would get better with diet
change then go right back to what seemed to be his baseline.
I very reluctantly put him on antibiotics for the first time in his life and lo and behold his breath is wonderful (he is tired of me smelling it! just can't help it!!! back to the early only breastmilk breath....) and stools are much much better.
We are also gluten, casein and soy free.
If it has been that long this has been going on docs shouldn't give you trouble over stool samples. Not exactly a joy to do, but....;...

We did the celiac blood test but I am not convinced. The proof is in the poop.

Sorry like I said not be an alarmist but I resisted testing for different things for a long time (why...do question?) and I wish I wouldn't have.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page