Is this Rubella? (X-post) UPDATE - IT'S RUBELLA - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 11-01-2007, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My camera is not working or I would post a picture. Here are the symptoms and what happened:
- Day care called me at work and said Kiera had a rash. They called after nap time and told me it spread to her trunk. They also told me she was having trouble breahting so I assumed food allergy since she has had dairy sensitivities before.
- I took Kiera to the ER where the ped told me it is "a virus" after seeing her for 2 minutes. He gave her Benadryl in case it was an allergic reaction to food but stated she is too young to have food allergies. (She was just tested at her naturopath appt a few weeks ago and we are waiting for the results)
- THe rash is light and looks like prickly heat but is worse on her face - her face is swollen. It is only on her face, neck, and trunk - nothing on her arms and legs.
- SHe has a very slight fever if any at all.
- She says it does not itch.
- She looks sick.

???

We are supposed to go the clinic tomorrow (we have AHCCCS - AZ's version of Medicaid)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-01-2007, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
#3 of 6 Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 PM

It's hard to tell without pictures.
Does she have fever? Acting sick?

It sounds like your mama instinct is telling you it's a food allergy.
Sorry you had to get railroaded through the ER and not come away with any dx or helpful advice.

Do a google image search for the rubella rash and see if it looks anything similar. Also, check this out:

Pink Book Chapter on Rubella

That should be everything you ever wanted to know about it.
Are you pregnant?
#4 of 6 Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 PM

I'm going to say Roseola.
Look it up and I think you might find that it fits.
My son had it and the doc said "its a virus". My mother dx him as she is old as dirt and had seen Roseola before. Funny only 1 of my kids every got it.
#5 of 6 Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 PM

For what it's worth, the CDC says rubella is no longer endemic or common in the US population, and they've removed it from their weekly tracker of selected diseases in the MMWR. So, they seem to think rubella is pretty uncommon. If you look at their data for the past year, only 11 cases have been confirmed, and that's consistent for all years since 2002 (when the number was 18).

So, yeah, it's likely something else. But you never know.
#6 of 6 Old 11-02-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

We went to the naturopath last night and were there three hours. They are treating this like Rubella; we go in for a blood test that will confirm if there are antibodies but they are 99% sure that's what it is. The doctor on call consulted both her boss via phone and another doctor there and they all agree this looks like Rubella. Kiera has all of the signs and symptoms. They thought at first it might be a viral rash kids get (forget the name right now) but then they took her temperature and it was 104.9! So she took a one time hefty does of Vitamin A and is on some immune system stuff. Devin will probably get it too. Devin's party (first birthday) was Sunday so now that is cancelled...anyone need lots of pink decorations???

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page