Ear infection and amoxicillin for 15 month old. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 15 month old has had colds probably 40-50% of the time since birth. He has also had 2 ear infections, so this is his second time on amoxicillin. He is fairly little, 20 pounds, so he is getting about 150mg of amoxil at each dose (3x daily). I was surprised this morning when I changed his diaper to be able to smell the antibiotic in his diaper, like he was peeing it out. I don't want to not give him the antibiotic, but at the same time I feel uneasy about it simply because his pee smells like it. Any tips or advice on amoxil and toddlers would be appreciated. I know he should eat yogurt while on antibiotics, but pretty much all I can get into his tummy is breastmilk right now. He just plays with the food.
#2 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Antibiotics are notoriously ineffective against ear infections. I wouldn't give an antibiotic for an ear infection personally unless there were extenuating circumstances. (had gone on an exceptionally long time etc)

-Angela
#3 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 PM

Ask your ped if they know for sure the ear infection is bacterial. If it's bacterial (and the overwhelming majority are not) then the antibiotics are an appropriate treatment. But, if it's viral (which almost all ear infections are) then the antibiotics are worthless.

Also, there was just a study that came out recommending that pediatricians stop giving antibiotics for ear infections because most are viral and therefore the antibiotics are ineffective and, the study showed that children got better just as quickly without them.

I would treat any discomfort with motrin and skip the antibiotics unless I knew for sure it was bacterial.
#4 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Ask your ped if they know for sure the ear infection is bacterial. If it's bacterial (and the overwhelming majority are not) then the antibiotics are an appropriate treatment. But, if it's viral (which almost all ear infections are) then the antibiotics are worthless.

Also, there was just a study that came out recommending that pediatricians stop giving antibiotics for ear infections because most are viral and therefore the antibiotics are ineffective and, the study showed that children got better just as quickly without them.

I would treat any discomfort with motrin and skip the antibiotics unless I knew for sure it was bacterial.
And that's the problem- there is no *easy* way to tell if an ear infection is bacterial or viral.

-Angela
#5 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 10:12 PM

Our oldest two babies had one ear infection after another until we read that some people had good results with cod liver oil. We got some of the orange cod liver oil and voila, no more ear infections. I know that the ped and the pharmacy that was selling us all that amoxicillin miss the money we were paying them before the report on cod liver oil and its effects on baby's ear infections. Here's one article http://pt.wkhealth.com

Every child is different, but it really helped us.
#6 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 PM

FYI: If you click on the health and healing archives there is an ear infection section. That may help ya too! Sorry your DS is not feeling well!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#7 of 11 Old 11-03-2007, 01:23 AM

#8 of 11 Old 11-03-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
And that's the problem- there is no *easy* way to tell if an ear infection is bacterial or viral.

-Angela
I guess for me, even if it's bacterial it's the degree to which it's bothersome. Even some bacterial infections don't need to be treated. If it's a severe infection with accompanying health issues (high fever) then, I would probably treat. But for a run of the mill ear infection - whether viral or bacterial, I would not treat it with antibiotics - I would just treat the pain and possibly do garlic oil.
#9 of 11 Old 11-03-2007, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hm. I'm tempted to stop giving him antibiotics. It's been 3 days and I'm supposed to give them for another 7!!
#10 of 11 Old 11-03-2007, 12:16 PM

Tell the ped about the excessive diarrhea. I wouldn't stop the meds because that can lead to antibiotic resistant infections in the future (which you do NOT want to mess around with!). However maybe the ped can adjust the dose or switch to something similar without the bad side effects.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#11 of 11 Old 11-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Definitely don't stop the antibiotic! That is how the resistant infections get started. I would ask the doc to perform a blood test before prescribing an antibiotic. My ped does and my sister's ped does. They can tell that way if it is viral or bacterial. DD has never had an antibiotic and she is 2. I have found that Grapefruit Seed Extract works wonders when those kinds of sicknesses come up for all family members. It tastes hideous, so it's hard to get them to take it. I've found mixing it with OJ works best. Also, regular chiropractic adjustments from a pediatric chiro is great for those kinds of things. Chiros can even adjust the ears! HTH!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page