3.9 yr old dd has pubic, underarm hair - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My almost 4-year old dd has had very fine pubic hair since birth. I was the only one to notice it and I was re-assured by her docs that it was best to wait and see if the development continued.

My own research backed that up and I was not anxious to subject her to much unnecessary testing.

A few months ago, I noticed the appearance of very fine underarm hair with no odor.

Last night however, I noticed one darker, coarser pubic hair and this AM dd complained of what looked like a little bit of discharge on her panties.

We are of Af-Am descent and I know that early puberty is more common in our people.

Anyone else experience this with their preschool-age child?

Anyone find any natural remedies that stalled or reversed precocious puberty in a little girl?

Victoria
Wife of a wonderful photographer, mom of 2 who homeschools, woman who loves the Lord.
Soli Deo Gloria!
www.VictoriaCarrington.com
#2 of 7 Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 AM

I would be taking her to an endocrinologist at this point. I know you don't want to subject her to testing, etc. but if she has early hormone production it can really affect her growth.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 7 Old 11-05-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
I would be taking her to an endocrinologist at this point. I know you don't want to subject her to testing, etc. but if she has early hormone production it can really affect her growth.
I concur. You want to make sure she doesn't have a tumor, or something else. Also you have not talked about breast buds -- does she have those? I think those appear early in precocious puberty. Also the underarm odor seems to preceed the underarm hair in actual puberty.

I would do whatever I could to reverse it if precocious puberty happened in my child.

Things that put girls at risk of puberty *a little earlier* than other children seem to be things like screen time interfering with melatonin production, and the presence of unrelated males / stepfathers. I think this explains the somewhat earlier puberty seen in the U.S. African Americans, more than anything else. Is there evidence that AA girls will mature younger in the absence of these factors?
#4 of 7 Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 AM

Definatly take her in for testing. You want her to grow right and some conditions can really stunt her growth. I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 7 Old 11-05-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I will definitely have her seen by her pediatrician. Upon closer observation, the one "different -looking " hair that I saw was gone so that may have been mine or hers from our head.

She has neither breast buds nor underarm odor and her pubic and axillary hair are actually then the same as they have been birth- very fine and barely noticeable.

I will continue checking to see if there is any further discharge so I can let her pediatrician know about that as well.

Thanks for the warnings about the seriousness about this- I was aware of that but appreciate your concern.

Also, I do not know much about the causes of premature puberty in Af-Am girls but I will research to find out more.
#6 of 7 Old 11-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Af-Am descent: yes, it is more common for there to be hair there as it is easier to be seen. It doesn't necessarily mean pp. You should have her see a pediatric endocrinologist to make sure she doesn't have it.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#7 of 7 Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 AM

And just in case it hasn't been thought of, make sure you are avoiding soy, parabens, and getting hormone free dairy and meat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page