Meningitis, fever, and Spinal Taps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those foregoing vaccines that are to prevent diseases that potentially could lead to meningitis, what is your plan regarding ear infections, temperatures and spinal taps?

(*mods, please leave this here and don't move it if you don't mind. I really need the input of mamas who are not vaccinating rather than an overall care/treatment health approach).

My daughter was diagnosed with 2 ear infections 10 days ago. Due to her age, just a week over 6 months, the doctor hesitated but then felt we should put her on antibiotics. If she had been older, I think he would have let it run it's course without recommending antibiotics. I had already let it go for about 5 days as I suspected an ear infection because she was lightly pulling her ear but otherwise, seemed happy. Turns out both ears were infected.

When we left, the doc told me to watch our for symptoms of crankiness, fever and decreases appetite. She is now displaying symptoms of the first two. She didn't sleep well at all last night and though we didn't take her temp, I suspect she had a slight fever. She also just cut another tooth. She also has her runny nose back. And now a slight fever of 100.6. She seemed in good spirits this morning though.

What are some things I need to know just in case this fever goes higher and we take her in? She is not vaccinated other than one DTaP. What should I expect in terms of standard approaches to a 6.5 month old with a fever, unvaccinated and very recent history of ear infections? What is your plan for such a scenario with your baby if you don't vaccinate?

Trying not to freak out... the fever could easiliy be due to the new tooth.
#2 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 PM

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=406779
#3 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmama View Post
For those foregoing vaccines that are to prevent diseases that potentially could lead to meningitis, what is your plan regarding ear infections, temperatures and spinal taps?

(*mods, please leave this here and don't move it if you don't mind. I really need the input of mamas who are not vaccinating rather than an overall care/treatment health approach).

My daughter was diagnosed with 2 ear infections 10 days ago. Due to her age, just a week over 6 months, the doctor hesitated but then felt we should put her on antibiotics. If she had been older, I think he would have let it run it's course without recommending antibiotics. I had already let it go for about 5 days as I suspected an ear infection because she was lightly pulling her ear but otherwise, seemed happy. Turns out both ears were infected.

When we left, the doc told me to watch our for symptoms of crankiness, fever and decreases appetite. She is now displaying symptoms of the first two. She didn't sleep well at all last night and though we didn't take her temp, I suspect she had a slight fever. She also just cut another tooth. She also has her runny nose back. And now a slight fever of 100.6. She seemed in good spirits this morning though.

What are some things I need to know just in case this fever goes higher and we take her in? She is not vaccinated other than one DTaP. What should I expect in terms of standard approaches to a 6.5 month old with a fever, unvaccinated and very recent history of ear infections? What is your plan for such a scenario with your baby if you don't vaccinate?

Trying not to freak out... the fever could easiliy be due to the new tooth.

Okay. A bit confused here. My child has never had an ear infection. There is no vaccine for ear infections. (they try to say prevnar MAY help, but it's not approved for that use... )

Dd has had a fever a number of times Kids get sick. Why would I take her to the ped for a fever? She has had a fever up slightly over 105. It lasted a day or so and then she was better.

-Angela
#4 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

I can't debate it right now... but some kinds of bacterial infections can lead to infections that lead to meningitis. And unless they know which bacteria, they could easily assume it's PC or Hib or another for which _they_ believe (right or wrong) that vaccines help prevent turning to meningitis. If I get blamed for not vaccinating, this is what I want to be ready for and know the risks of a spinal tap in such a circumstance.
#5 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I can't debate it right now... but some kinds of bacterial infections can lead to infections that lead to meningitis. And unless they know which bacteria, they could easily assume it's PC or Hib or another for which _they_ believe (right or wrong) that vaccines help prevent turning to meningitis. If I get blamed for not vaccinating, this is what I want to be ready for and know the risks of a spinal tap in such a circumstance.
I'm not debating, just trying to understand

Really basically any bacteria can lead to meningitis. I wouldn't let them do a spinal tap unless I thought that was a reasonable conclusion

I wouldn't take the child to a dr. unless there was something specific I wanted from the dr.

I don't take kids in for a fever.

-Angela
#6 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
And unless they know which bacteria, they could easily assume it's PC or Hib or another for which _they_ believe (right or wrong) that vaccines help prevent turning to meningitis.
And the vaccines don't prevent it from becoming meningitis, they just make the child immune to those strains of bacteria all together.

Make sense?

-Angela
#7 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I understand the vaccines don't prevent meningitis. But if she is not responding to the antibiotics for the ear infections, then the risks of it leading to something more complicated are real. Without the ear infections, I wouldn't necessarily take her in either and would take a wait and see approach. But she has a recent infection that may or may not be gone. This is the concern.

What would be a "reasonable conclusion" for you to consent to a spinal tap? this is what I am really after by posting. WHat would be a reasonable conclusion for consenting to such an invasive diagnostic proceedure?
#8 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, I understand the vaccines don't prevent meningitis. But if she is not responding to the antibiotics for the ear infections, then the risks of it leading to something more complicated are real. Without the ear infections, I wouldn't necessarily take her in either and would take a wait and see approach. But she has a recent infection that may or may not be gone. This is the concern.

What would be a "reasonable conclusion" for you to consent to a spinal tap? this is what I am really after by posting. WHat would be a reasonable conclusion for consenting to such an invasive diagnostic proceedure?
Was the ear infection cultured (unlikely)? Most ear infections are actually viral- not even bacterial. That's why antibiotics shouldn't even be prescribed for a run of the mill ear infection.

When would I allow a spinal tap? Very high fever (over 104 for sure- probably over 105) for an extended period. Baby CLEARLY in pain. Limited neck/head motion. Fever does not fluctuate (a fluctuating fever usually says virus, steady fever usually says bacteria) Fever does not respond to things like cloths on the head and warm baths. I have no other explanation for symptoms. Mama radar says something is VERY wrong.

-Angela
#9 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Angela, from how I understand it, meningitis can go very fast. If one waited until those symptoms presented themselves, it could be really risky that it would be too far along. Or not?
#10 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
A sudden change in her symptoms...probably with vomiting and/or a spike in fever. When kids get bad bacteremia (bacteria in the blood...that has to happen before the bacteria can make it to the brain) you know something is wrong.
In which case, RUN to the ER.
Just remember that 99.99% of ear infections don't actually turn into meningitis, though. (I know you know that...just trying to calm you down. )
But yeah...it does happen every once in a while, and I freak out about that stuff sometimes, too.

ETA: Unfortunately, there's no good "checklist" out there other than your gut instinct. Docs are real iffy themselves on when to do a spinal tap. Because there's no good symptom list, I think they've gone way over the top now, and they want to give ANY baby with ANY fever a spinal tap. Which I'm personally not down with.
#11 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Angela, from how I understand it, meningitis can go very fast. If one waited until those symptoms presented themselves, it could be really risky that it would be too far along. Or not?
I don't remember where I read this, but being on antibiotics can nip it in the bud before it even starts, too. (the only real reason to use abx for an ear infection, IMO).
If, say, one of the ear infections were to burst, and it was bacterial, and the bacteria crossed over into the blood that way, the abx she's on would quite possibly keep the bacteria from going bonkers and turning into a nasty invasive infection.
I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons why some docs like to give abx for ear infections.

But my disclaimer is that I'm not 100% sure of how that works, or what my source on that was.
#12 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 06:44 PM

I'm sorry your DD is sick. Last spring my DD got very sick, too. She had a virus for about 10 days, then suddenly got a very high fever (105+) that I couldn't get down. At the ER they incompetant Dr. told me he could tell by looking at her she had a virus and sent us home (waste of $500!), but the next day I took her to my ped who did a CBC, urine screen (she has had UTIs before), and a blood culture. Her WBC count came back so high that Dr. wanted DD admitted to a childrens hospital 5 hours from our home. There were no signs of infection and no one could figure out where the infection was coming from. Of course they wanted to do a spinal tap, but her range of motion in her head and neck was fine w/o pain (she was 2 and could verbalize pain) so I did not allow a spinal tap. If she had any head or neck stiffness I probably would have allowed it, but I am very leary of anyone poking something into my childs spine! Turns out she had a bad case of pneumonia, and they dn't really know how she got it b/c she had no resp. symptoms or coughing. They found it via an x-ray (but wanted to do a CT scan w/ DD sedated, I don't think so!). I was given lots of flack about our no prevnar/Hib vax status, but in reality they cannot know what she had b/c theycould not culture it. I say follow you GUT. My GUT told me something was wrong w/ my DD. She was lethargic and had a high fever. It was my first ever ER visit for taking in a sick kid, and maybe my last! I really do trust my ped, though.

I really hope your DD gets better. I'd say she probably will
#13 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I might be more wary if I were a couple of hours from medical care I suppose. But I live in a big city full of medical care and hospitals. I can be at *a* hospital in 5-7 minutes. A top rated children's hospital in 20-30 minutes.

And no- if you're on top of things, those symptoms, at first showing, are not going to be too late. I wouldn't have a sick baby sleeping in another room for sure. And I wouldn't leave them with a babysitter. But with me right there? Not really a concern IMO.

Meningitis is RARE. Really. And usually it hits kids with weakened immune systems from something else. An otherwise healthy kid with an ear infection? Not a dire concern.

-Angela
#14 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Also, remember, if meningitis were a major child killer there would be huge billboard warnings about these kinds of symptoms. There's not.

The vaccines have done NOTHING to reduce overall numbers of cases of meningitis. They're just moving around which bugs are causing it.

-Angela
#15 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Spy

I don't see any difference in the approach based on whether the baby is vaccinated or not. Well, except for non-vaccinated babies are less likely to get sick in general and especially with meningitis . But if they do, I would study the signs of meningitis in that age group and monitor the baby carefully (do I get it right that it is meningitis that you're concerned about)?

I wouldn't use antibiotics or antipyretics either. I do use homeopathy.
Of course, spinal tap is out of question unless there are reasons to suspect meningitis (any cold or ear infection is not such a reason).

Just in case, a basic list of signs in babies (all of them don't have to be present):

Tense or bulging soft spot
High Temperature
Very sleepy/staring expression/too sleepy to wake up
Vomiting/refusing to feed
Irritable when picked up, with a high pitch or moaning cry
Breathing fast / difficulty breathing
Blotchy skin, getting paler or turning blue
Extreme shivering
A stiff body with jerky movements, or else floppy / lifeless
'Pin prick' rash / marks or purple bruises on the body
Cold hands and feet
Sometimes diarrhoea
Pain/ irritability from muscle aches or severe limb/joint pain

(that's from meningitis.org)
#16 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I don't see any difference in the approach based on whether the baby is vaccinated or not.
Well, here in the US, docs think lack of prevnar is a major risk factor for meningitis...like, not having prevnar causes meningitis or something.
So we have to be careful about going to the ER, because in theory, they can have CPS remove our parental rights if we don't want to do a spinal tap. Like, if we're just being paranoid and want to have the baby checked out at night (suppose it's midnight, and we're just worried.)
#17 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
Like, if we're just being paranoid and want to have the baby checked out at night (suppose it's midnight, and we're just worried.)
Which is a good reason to keep your wits about you and not run to an MD for a fever and a sniffle

-Angela
#18 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
Well, here in the US, docs think lack of prevnar is a major risk factor for meningitis...like, not having prevnar causes meningitis or something.
So we have to be careful about going to the ER, because in theory, they can have CPS remove our parental rights if we don't want to do a spinal tap. Like, if we're just being paranoid and want to have the baby checked out at night (suppose it's midnight, and we're just worried.)
I should have said, MY approach
#19 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 PM

It's scary to think your child has meningitis. I've definitely thought about it during those middle of the night fevers, especially when sleep deprivation has set in.

Having HAD meningitis, I can tell you that it does come on fast (at least it did for me) but the signs were completely unmistakable. I was SICK SICK SICK. Thought I was dying, wished for death, my eyes felt like they were coming out of my skull (literally). FTR, my meningitis was viral, but still scary as hell!

With this info, I really don't worry too much unless my kids are down for the count. If they are unable to move their heads at all, or simply cry and cry without being able to console them, then I'll get worried. Otherwise, no.
#20 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 09:03 PM

My middle child used to get high fever, vomit, and get an ear infection every time he cut a tooth. E-VER-Y time. Because he didn't feel well he'd be fussier than normal, wouldn't really want to do much except nurse. These, IMO are normal symptoms of normal childhood....stuff.

I treated his ears with garlic/breastmilk.

The only way I'd ever let someone do a spinal tap is if I "knew" something was realllllllly wrong. Not just high fever/ear infection (not to negate your feelings at all...just explaining). If my kid had a bulging fontanel, couldn't turn head at all or with severe pain, was acting like a zombie, fever that spiked up to above 105-6(not persistant high fever but spiking, scary bacteria fever) all at the same time. But even then, I'd probably ask for bloodwork and a complete workup first.

I wouldn't treat it any differently than a vaxed kid because I'm aware vaxes aren't 100%. Couldn't say the same for the doctor though. I'd be veeeeeery careful where I went I'll tell ya that!
#21 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 PM

Since this thread is about treatment of illness I'm going to move it over to H&H but I will leave a redirect link to it in the Vax forum.
#22 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 09:48 PM

I believe if this turned that badly you would know. Your mommy gut, her behavior (extreme lethargy, pain, etc.), you would know.

I don't do antibiotics for ear infections. Lots of very good reasons not too as I'm sure you are aware. But sometimes they are needed. If you knew for sure your daughter had an untreated ear infection that lasted for more than 48 to 72 hours I'd maybe consider them. I used to wait longer. But if a body is going to fight it off it should be in the first few days..and you should be seeing improved symptoms. (the infection may not be gone in 3 days but the pain symptoms, fever, etc. should be subsiding). I'm not at all sure your daughter had an ear infection though...you'd see fever and pain. Happy babies pull at their ears and statistically that ear pulling means nothing (I think it is Dr. Sears that sites study on that).

My son fought off ear infections on his own without antibiotics many times.

He got an ear infection in May of this year (he's 3.5....this was not his first infection). He came down with it on Sunday..and I treated him like usual with a wait and see approach. I slept with him that night. At the time it just seemed like I needed to...my mind didn't consciously connect that something was wrong and we don't typically co-sleep with him as he likes his space even when ill. But I did and he seemed to want me there which probably should have made me concerned but it didn't. I did the same on Monday night but during the day Monday he seemed to be getting slightly better. On Tuesday during the day he was better still, fever was gone most of that day, he was running and playing and eating. So all was good in my mind. That late afternoon and evening his fever spiked--high. He was in severe pain. I was concerned but he asked to go to bed and the ped's office was closed so I slept in the room again that night. He slept fine-maybe woke a few times. I really thought he was ok. But in retrospect something about the situation must have caught me as strange because I've never slept with him for ear infections before. He wouldn't tolerate chiropractic care on Monday either which had never happened.

Anyway, I planned to take him if he wasn't better (actually might have taken him in on Tuesday had he worsened before the office closed). But he woke Wed. morning with his ear flat forward against his head and the behind part swollen up and extremely painful...and reacted with pain like I've never seen him react before when I tried to even touch it. We went to the ER..and he was hospitalized on IV antibiotics and had surgery. The infection had spread to the bone behind the ear. And the issue there is that when that happens (it rarely does) it is just a short skip from that bone to the brain. That's the way meningitis happens in all this.
Here's the important part. I was told over and over that these complications happen rarely and the studies haven't shown that the wait and see approach to antibiotics makes it more likely in any individual child. (Once a child does this he is more at risk to have it happen again.) I think though no doctor told me this just based on research after the fact that the wait and see over all in a population does slightly increase the risk but not enough to be concerned about any certain child. So my son's twin will still not be given antibiotics in the first few days of an ear infection. But I'll also be on the look out for the infection spreading behind the ear (pain, swelling, tenderness) and just the gut feeling that somehow this infection is different.

If your daughter has been on the antibiotics for 48 hours and isn't improving you need to go back and get a different antibiotic imo. But in the future I wouldn't hesitate to wait and see and allow her body to fight on it's own. You will know if something is serious and those things are just extremely rare. If it happens (in other words you know) you'll likely accept the tests and treatments recommended. As an aside, no spinal tap here but my son was not running a high fever nor did he have any neck stiffness. (which actually I always look for when my kids have high fevers). He did have a head CT and surgery and those antibiotics..which I'm thankful that they exist when a kiddo really needs them! No one batted much of an eye on the vax issue. And I think generally they'd be going on symptoms to decide on tests; not the vax status.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#23 of 26 Old 11-05-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Amnesiac, I was not hoping this thread would turn to treatment but rather to what to do in such a situation when not vaxing and how the medical community responds to infection. But I am glad you left the link as I think this is important stuff when considering not vaxinating and belongs in vaccination discussions. "How to deal with the medical community when not vaccinating when there is infection present...." I can just see the expression on the doctor's face about, "If only you had given her PC and Hib...."

Quote:
The infection had spread to the bone behind the ear. And the issue there is that when that happens (it rarely does) it is just a short skip from that bone to the brain. That's the way meningitis happens in all this.
This is what I have been concerned about. Assuming my doctor was not making it up, she definitely had ear infections. And given when she started pulling on her ear to when it was diagnosed, it had already been about a week so I had given it ample time since there was no fever present. A tooth was also cutting in and she still didn't fuss so I think her pain tolerance is different.

She slept all afternoon but after a bout of eccessive crying, I gave her half a dose of tylenol. She has been nursing NON stop and I am sore. So tylenol or they are going to fall off. Giving her SA and taking it myself. ALso teething tablets.
#24 of 26 Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 AM

I see you are worried. I have never had a doc tell me I was at fault for an ear infection and I've never had my children get anything more than the ear infection -- it never occurred to me that it could be worse and man I'd be worried and not sleeping and just super concerned if a doc told me that an ear infection could be meningitis in a heart beat...

Having said that, I also take my kids to a Family Practice Doc who isn't into much vaxing with "new" vaxes. SO, I think I've been spared the "scare".

All of my kiddos have had 1 ear infection, always around the time their teeth came in 8 to 9 mo old (So not 6mo, but they have had colds at that age). They drool a lot, their immune systems might be down a bit b/c all of mine get "colds" so they have the runny nose, they cough from the snot and drool, as they lay down at night all that has to drain somewhere and sometimes it gets into the ear area and it can cause inflamation and then infection. 2 of my kids are vomitting teethers! Great... So, I thought the first 1 was sick, serious ill but couldn't figure out why milk stayed down, but food came back (he old enough to be eating "solids"). An old lady friend of my grammy's told me all her children threw up when teething, I stopped worrying.

Fear & worry can waste a lot of your time, I say this from experience. In all likelihood it's just an ear infection, you have nothing to worry about, treat it and snuggle LO.

One the off chance it isn't just an ear infection, don't worry about the ER, if you have to go, you have to go. Don't worry about your vax status, treatment is the same regardless and Prevnar is not yet on all the public school list (yet that I'm aware of, here it is not yet on the list, nor is HIB). I would shoot for an after hours office visit first though, ERs are loaded with germs, long wait times, and it isn't your child's doc, etc.

If within 48 hours on antibx, there is no change, go back to your doctor
If the fever contiues to go up on antibx, go back to your doctor or ER -- if it hit close to 105 ER it, I took one of mine to a sick office visit b/c his fever would not go down and stay down, it hit 104.3 that morning, I was done with home treatment at that point - pneumonia age 4, no cough, no recent illness, just weird, we had friends stay w us her kid all had a hacking cough.

Sometimes there can be allergic reactions to the antibx, this happened to a friend of mine at the ER w her child, it looked like he had menigitis, it wasn't, it was an allergic reaction to the antibx which he got for brochitis or was it strep throat or both. He went through the entire protocol for dx w menigitis and it was then determined to be an allergic reaction. The child is fully vaxed (so protocol is the same regardless of vax status), and mom has had allergic reactions to antibx -- mom should have remembered that ASAP, but she didn't.

I do surely recommend the book by Lydall Vax Free Child
#25 of 26 Old 11-06-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:

This is what I have been concerned about. Assuming my doctor was not making it up, she definitely had ear infections. And given when she started pulling on her ear to when it was diagnosed, it had already been about a week so I had given it ample time since there was no fever present. A tooth was also cutting in and she still didn't fuss so I think her pain tolerance is different.
I can tell you are concerned . But you need to realize this is really, really rare (in all kids; vaxed or not). Very rare. Both of my sons actually had confirmed Hib ear infections by the way. I didn't do antibiotics with either. One was better within 24 hours and the other in 48. I did stay on top of it (I had their ears checked, did chiro care, etc.). But even my very pro-vax pediatrician brother in law told me we were safe waiting it out before giving the antibiotic. So my kiddo who did end up with the spreading actually fought off Hib just fine. The meningitis is extremely rare. And it is my understanding that generally you're going to get that step where my son was (spreading to the bone behind the ear) first. And trust me you'll know. Either way you'll know because the pain when these things spreads has to be unbearable based on my son's reaction...he's extremely tolerant of pain. By the way, that is another thing. Not all kiddos are fussy with ear infections true. But you're going to see a fever. Ignore pulling on the ear. It really does mean nothing at the young ages. I'd count from when I had a confirmed ear infection waiting 48 hours before doing the antibiotic. Unless my gut told me whatever it was was serious or different somehow. Just monitor for symptoms. If things are going bad you're going to know. As an aside, looking back on my son's reactions on Day 1 and Day 2 of the ear infection that did spread I think it was already spreading from the very start. Antibiotics from the very beginning might possibly have kept him out of the hospital and surgery but the doctors told me likely not...once it spreads to the space behind the ear oral antibiotics aren't going to get it. I think in this case they are probably right--antibiotic wouldn't have mattered. I don't regret my decisions in that way. Only that I didn't pick up on it sooner so he didn't have the degree of pain he experienced.

And the vax status isn't likely to effect your treatment and tests. If they suspect meningitis based on symptoms you're going to find a spinal tap recommended regardless of whether the child has been vaccinated. They well known that having the vax isn't 100% anything.

It's extremely unlikely you are going to face this.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#26 of 26 Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
Having HAD meningitis, I can tell you that it does come on fast (at least it did for me) but the signs were completely unmistakable. I was SICK SICK SICK. Thought I was dying, wished for death, my eyes felt like they were coming out of my skull (literally). FTR, my meningitis was viral, but still scary as hell!
Fwiw, I likely contracted meningitis through an entero (intestinal) virus from my Dds. They had low fevers, very low & full body rashes. It started as a headache, got worse overnight (he worst headache imaginable x 1000) & like onlyboys said my eyeballs hurt severely. Inever noticed a fever, perhaps because I was taking mass amounts of ibuprofin for the pain, and I never noticed a stiff neck. I was vomiting like mad, but it seemed to be a result of the pain, I can't express how severe the pain was, like nothing I could ever imagine.
Dd2 was only 10 months, so I likely picked it up from not washing my hands thoroughly enough after changing poopy diapers - a common way to pick it up. Again, like onlyboys, I also had viral, but the symptoms are exactly the same & whether it's viral or bacterial can only be determined through a spinal tap.

As for the ear infections, could be linked to the teething, no? Granted, our family doctor is a homeopath & anti-vax, we've never been told that vaccines will prevent ear infections or any infection that could lead to meningitis. It's just such a rare infection. I got it in the end of October & I've since learned that fall is the usual season for meningitis.

I did learn, after the fact, that a severely sore throat is usually the very first sign of meningitis - which I had. I had actually gone to my doctor twice that week & she looked at my throat & said, "if that's not strep..." she did a culture & it came back negative, twice. That was probably 2 days before the headache started.

I don't think I'm clear on what information you're after...
My kids have had ear infections, last year my Dd2 had one in both ears, complete with a 104.3 fever - we treated homeopathically, one ruptured & then we used abx. She's fine. Dd2 had a double ear infection shortly thereafter & we were successful in treating homeopathically.
I've just never had any doctor say anything to me about ear infections being a risk for meningitis.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page