Pros and cons of GSE - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I discovered grapefruit seed extract over a year ago at the co-op(a flu type bug that would not go away, went away with two doses of GSE). We use it to treat colds, flu, yeast overgrowth etc.

I started doing some more research on it because I wanted to understand how it actually works and I came upon information that claims it is not a natural product and the grapefruit pulp used to make it is not waht makes it work, but the syntetic process that actually makes it work. I also found info that says it contains benzethonium chloride, which I am also having trouble finding safety information on, so what to think?

On the one hand you have loads of anectdotal evidence and my own experience that shows it works really well, and on the other hand these reports about how it could be a dangerous chemical? Anyone have anymore info or a place to start for more research?
#2 of 24 Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

ideas anyone?
#3 of 24 Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have never heard that. I do know that manufacturing practices will vary by company. I have always used Nutribiotic brand and really like it.
#4 of 24 Old 11-09-2007, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
I have never heard that. I do know that manufacturing practices will vary by company. I have always used Nutribiotic brand and really like it.
I use the nutribiotic stuff and so far I have been very pleased with their products.

Anyone else heard that GSE is actually a synthetic chemical?
#5 of 24 Old 11-10-2007, 04:55 PM

interesting question... we use GSE, too.
#6 of 24 Old 11-10-2007, 10:37 PM

GSE isn't synthetic but a chemical is added in the processing that apparently is. I have read in several places that it isn't hte GSE itself that works....it's a synthetic chemical. Most brands contain it. IIRC the reason it came under scrutiny was because the brands that DIDN'T contain the chemical were ineffective. Someone realized that it was not the GSE that was active but the chemical these companies add. Tests were done and it was officially acknowledged. This was a couple of years ago I believe so it's not too fresh in my head. I'm really no help here
#7 of 24 Old 11-10-2007, 10:39 PM

Oh- I stopped using it as there are plenty non toxic alternatives.
#8 of 24 Old 11-12-2007, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Oh- I stopped using it as there are plenty non toxic alternatives.
So is GSE toxic? Is the benzene chemical toxic? I couldn't find any toxicity info on either one really.

What kind of alternatives do you use? I have yet to find anything as effective as GSE.
#9 of 24 Old 11-12-2007, 09:39 AM

From what I read I feel it is. I don't use synthetic chemicals when I can avoid it. What are you treating? For topical yeast colloidal silver is far better than GSE. It's also great for ear infections. Many use it internally too. I don't. For cold and flu stuff we use vitamin C with cofactors, zinc and sambucol. Yin Chiao is also great if you can nip it in the bud. We rely heavily on homeopathy as well.
#10 of 24 Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found this article
#11 of 24 Old 11-13-2007, 06:17 PM

Egad. Thank you so much for starting this thread. I had NO idea. Thankfully, I would only use GSE occasionally when a cold was coming on, but I'm going to toss the rest of the bottle.
#12 of 24 Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 PM

Yikes! I've been gargling with it all week for my cold. Thanks for the info.

Maybe you should post a link to this on a more popular board so more people are enlightened...

--Kelly
#13 of 24 Old 11-13-2007, 08:41 PM

Hmm, always the skeptic, I also saw this on gseinformation doc com- Do you think it's just big business trying to discredit them? Here's an excerpt:
Quote:
Over the years, numerous and differing analytical tests have been performed to determine the active components of Citricidal. The test results have quite often varied, for the following reasons: a.) varying test procedures, b.) different chemicals used in the test procedures producing false positives, c.) different interpretations of test procedures resulting in false positives, and d.) the different background of the chemists involved, organic chemistry vs. inorganic chemistry being an issue. The similarity in molecular weight between Citricidal and both Benzelkonium Chloride and Benzelthonium Chloride has wrongly influenced some(including drug and chemical manufacturers) to assert that Citricidal has been "spiked" with these poisons. (They are both powerful industrial disinfectants, and are even found in some consumer goods in the U.S.) But once again, independent lab tests, and a 25-year track record of safe use as a human therapeutic speak loudly against such slander.
I'm confused!!
#14 of 24 Old 11-14-2007, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
I found this article
I read that article. But the only real source I could find was the study which I think the CDC did test and found the benzen... present in the GSE. But I thought the study was a bit confusing too.
#15 of 24 Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookesmom View Post
Hmm, always the skeptic, I also saw this on gseinformation doc com- Do you think it's just big business trying to discredit them? Here's an excerpt:

I'm confused!!
This is why I am asking. I guess I would love more information on the tests found the benzenene(sorry, I can't spell today). And as for toxicity info, what amount is toxic? I couldn't find much info.
#16 of 24 Old 11-14-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
From what I read I feel it is. I don't use synthetic chemicals when I can avoid it. What are you treating? For topical yeast colloidal silver is far better than GSE. It's also great for ear infections. Many use it internally too. I don't. For cold and flu stuff we use vitamin C with cofactors, zinc and sambucol. Yin Chiao is also great if you can nip it in the bud. We rely heavily on homeopathy as well.
Can you tell me more about colloidal silver?
And what is sambucol?
#17 of 24 Old 11-15-2007, 10:46 AM

Sambucol is an elderberry syrup. It boosts immunity and is very safe and natural. You can google it, I'm sure.

Colloidal silver is what it sounds like-silver in a colloidal suspension. IT is antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial. It is great for use on non-specific rashes because it covers the whole spectrum. I use it on cuts and scrapes as well to prevent infection. I have used it on an infection of ds1's penis and it beats anything on a diaper rash.

It can also be used for eye infections, sore throats and ear infections.

I am never without it. I have a home remedy kit that contains it, and it is a part of my travel kit that lives in my diaper bag too.
#18 of 24 Old 11-15-2007, 11:12 AM

I was wondering about colloidal silver, too. I'd heard about it before but hadn't looked into it any further. I'll have to seek out some Sambucol, I think.
#19 of 24 Old 11-15-2007, 03:45 PM

I don't know what to think.
That is bad news for me if it's true because it's the only thing that's made a dent in the thrush I've got.
#20 of 24 Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 PM

So this whole GSE thing has really got me scratching my head b/c we have been using it as a family for years internally and in our homemade cleansers. . .

DH and I went to ask our local herbal brain ( a beautiful woman who tends to the health and body, vitamin and supplements section of our local and independently owned green grocery. She said she's never heard of anything like this with GSE ( but that she was going to go and find out as much as SHE could, now ).

Her reasoning for not buying into this GSE propaganda was that Aubrey of Aubrey Organics uses GSE as the main perservative in their formulas and that he and his team are scrupulous in their standards of avoiding toxic- petrochemical, junk etc.

Is it possible that there are different methods of extracting GSE? That some is better than others?

I went to the Nutribiotic website and they actually address alot of the propaganda.

This is just my to cents
#21 of 24 Old 11-15-2007, 07:46 PM

Yes. That is the basis of the study. There are several brands that are clean, but are ineffective for treating yeast. Not all GSE is contaminated and you can find very reputable brands. It just won't help you (according to the study) in your efforts to kill off yeast.
#22 of 24 Old 11-16-2007, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes. That is the basis of the study. There are several brands that are clean, but are ineffective for treating yeast. Not all GSE is contaminated and you can find very reputable brands. It just won't help you (according to the study) in your efforts to kill off yeast.
What is so interesting is that GSE is the only thing that has worked for us re. yeast. I had major oald w/ both my boys and I would get mastitis every other week and only when I started using GSE did it go away(for good). I use the nutribiotic stuff, so what I am guessing is that part of it is whether it is a reputable brand.

I am not trying to defend GSE, because I do worry that it may potentially be dangerous, but it really is the most effective thing I have ever used for yeast, colds, flu(we do vit c, supplements, raw garlic, ginger, and I have used elderberry cough syrup with great luck). No I have to go check out nutribiotic's site to see what they are saying about all this.
#23 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 12:46 AM

[QUOTE=studentmama;9753062 only
I am not trying to defend GSE, because I do worry that it may potentially be dangerous, but it really is the most effective thing I have ever used for yeast, colds, flu(we do vit c, supplements, raw garlic, ginger, and I have used elderberry cough syrup with great luck). No I have to go check out nutribiotic's site to see what they are saying about all this.[/QUOTE]

I have never heard this before about grapefruit seed oil and am shocked!
Have you tried Oregano Oil? it is very powerful for both candida,bacteria and viruses. It can be hard on the stomach but it works!
#24 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 10:29 AM

It's also contraindicated in pregnancy and nursing...just be careful. If you are either or are planning to be I would not do Oregano Oil. And for those who are inclined you are looking for Vulgaris...the wild variety. The cooking grade will not help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page