Sore legs and bottoms of feet in toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2007, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My two year old son has been complaining of sore legs and bottoms of his feet for the past two weeks. When I ask him where it hurts it's either his knee, bottom of his foot or his shin. It's been daily for the past couple of weeks but has been getting more frequent the past day or two. He doesn't consume any sort of dairy, he's a picky eater, and he gets minimal amounts of soy milk. My mom suggested that maybe his muscles or bones are sore from the lack of calcium. Any ideas? He doesn't speak very much so he can't describe the pain, he can just show me where it hurts and tell me that he has "owwies"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 02:10 PM

My 5yo dd has had the SAME complaint on and off since she was about 3 yo. Her ped has said it's probably just growing pains... dh says he had terrible growing pains growing up which woke him in the middle of the night.

I'm not so sure about that now, though... it's happening more frequently lately and mostly she complains about the bottoms/tops of her feet around where the toes join the foot. She still complains occasionally of leg pain, too, though not as often.

I'll be watching this thread...
Old 11-16-2007, 02:18 PM

My dd has similar complaints, only it's often her knees, as well as her shins.

It always seems to happen after a day where she has exercised a lot.

We saw the ped to rule out joint problems or other issues that could be causing this, and I've tried to find out what I can about what this could be. Everything I've found points to "growing pains". I had them as a kid, too. They really hurt a lot.

kidshealth.org has a good article on it, as I recall. If there really is an underlying problem, the affected area will be red or warm and the pain will NOT go away. Growing pains tend to happen at night, be worse with activity, they are not present all the time, and there are no symptoms of joint strain or other problems.

My dd likes to *run* (seriously, she can run far!) and on the days where she does laps around the playground it is very likely she will wake up that night with growing pains.

User Tag List