wise woman tradition - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 11-20-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are they any other moms out there that follow the Wise Woman tradition? I have been reading Susan Weed's books and they are truly unbelievable. Just wondering how many of you are drinking herbal infusions and using plants/weeds for healing.
I just found a patch of chickweed!!
Would love to start a discussion with other wise moms!!

Lindsay
#2 of 38 Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Hi,
Me too! I'm a big fan. I've had her books for about eight years. The first one I used was her pregnancy year book and I truly believed it helped me immensely. The healing wise book I find a little hard to read (the "accents" of the plants!) but I have it too.

I use red raspberry, clover and nettle infusions - make them every day. I always try herbal remedies for non-emergency ailments first. I also love to garden and love plants in general, so Susun's work really speaks to me.
#3 of 38 Old 11-21-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wow - so glad to have found another one! I have only been drinking nettle infusions for 3 weeks and feel great. I can't wait to try other ones.
Do red raspberry and red clover feel as good as nettle? Did you drink infusions throughout your pregnancy? Do you drink several infusions at once?
Sorry for all the questions, but there aren't many people that follow Susan Weed around me!
I hope there are other moms that respond too.
#4 of 38 Old 11-21-2007, 07:59 PM

I have been using herbs for about 10 years. They aren't my favorite modality in terms of healing, but I do love them as food and absolutely acknowledge their powers. I used infusions during pregnancy and lactation. My kids also drink infusions almost daily. I have made many decoctions and salves as well.

I have met Susun several times and seen her speak. We don't mesh on many things, but she is brilliant.

I combine many herbs in the infusions depending on the results I'm looking for. RRL, nettle, red clover, lemon balm and alfalfa is my favorite nourishing drink!
#5 of 38 Old 11-21-2007, 08:00 PM

Oh-we also forage quite a bit. My kids are great at identifying wild edibles. My middle (3.5 years) loves to pick her salads outside.
#6 of 38 Old 11-21-2007, 08:53 PM

where did you learn to identify plants? i know a great teacher where i live, but we're contemplating moving, and the flora may be quite different elsewhere -- and i know i need a lot more practice to feel confident, too!
#7 of 38 Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hey firefaery,
I always love to get a response from you! What don't you like about Susan's ideas - her feelings about nutrition (isn't she not into the raw thing)? I am interested in your opinion of her whole health philosophy.

snowcrocus - would love to know this too. Does anyone know a good book with very good pictures? I think I found chickweed, but would love to find others.
#8 of 38 Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 PM

I have taken many classes on herbs and they almost always include foraging. I have studied with a couple master herbalists that use them medicinally and in those cases especially you need to be able to use what's on hand. I have also taken foraging classes for outdoors type people where it's less about the connection to the earth and more about survival. Very different experiences let me tell you!

You know how there are some people you just don't mesh with? People that you meet and jsut shy away from and you don't really know why? I don't know. That's how I feel about Susun. I had read her books and liked them for the most part, but when I first met her I just didn't feel the way I thought I would. I was kind of turned off and I think that influenced me a bit, honestly.

I don't really agree with her 100% on diet. However, recent events have me questioning quite a bit what I have believed to be true. So, I'm not sure that still holds any water. I still don't agree with her, but I am very aware that I don't know everything there is to know, you know? I just work with what I have learned over the years and what resonates with me.

I like most of her message. I like the empowerment part. I like the connection with the earth part. I really love the spirituality part...she's more of a kitchen witch than anything else and I adore that. I personally just don't look to herbs for healing. I look to them as I said, as food. They are incredibly nourishing gifts and I honor that. I jsut don't love it when they are used pharmacologically...like drugs. They absolutely have their place in my life, else I wouldn't have studied them so much. For me though, healing lies in other modalities.

As to the health aspect....clearly people have different definitions of health. I just don't think ours are the same. And that's okay.
#9 of 38 Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I have taken many classes on herbs and they almost always include foraging. I have studied with a couple master herbalists that use them medicinally and in those cases especially you need to be able to use what's on hand. I have also taken foraging classes for outdoors type people where it's less about the connection to the earth and more about survival. Very different experiences let me tell you!

You know how there are some people you just don't mesh with? People that you meet and jsut shy away from and you don't really know why? I don't know. That's how I feel about Susun. I had read her books and liked them for the most part, but when I first met her I just didn't feel the way I thought I would. I was kind of turned off and I think that influenced me a bit, honestly.

I don't really agree with her 100% on diet. However, recent events have me questioning quite a bit what I have believed to be true. So, I'm not sure that still holds any water. I still don't agree with her, but I am very aware that I don't know everything there is to know, you know? I just work with what I have learned over the years and what resonates with me.

I like most of her message. I like the empowerment part. I like the connection with the earth part. I really love the spirituality part...she's more of a kitchen witch than anything else and I adore that. I personally just don't look to herbs for healing. I look to them as I said, as food. They are incredibly nourishing gifts and I honor that. I jsut don't love it when they are used pharmacologically...like drugs. They absolutely have their place in my life, else I wouldn't have studied them so much. For me though, healing lies in other modalities.

As to the health aspect....clearly people have different definitions of health. I just don't think ours are the same. And that's okay.
Well put. Thanks for the info. I am really interested in learning more about using local plants and herbs as food also. Makes so much sense to me.
Thanks firefaery
#10 of 38 Old 11-22-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Do red raspberry and red clover feel as good as nettle? Did you drink infusions throughout your pregnancy? Do you drink several infusions at once?
I drink RRL when I have my period and I did drink it throughout my pregnancy. I think it helped nourish and strengthen me and it now helps ease cramps and bleeding.

I love red clover. It tastes wonderful, especially cold. I love nettle as well but it took me a while to get used to the greeny taste. I am dealing with hormone issues (spotting, acne, PMS) so I drink red clover from the end of my period to ovulation and nettle the rest of the cycle (sometimes one on one day and another on the second day) and RRL during my period usually.

In other herbal remedies, we use cinnamon to stop diarrhea, garlic for colds, essential oil like pepperment for nausea...it works for us. I used motherwort for calming and followed some of Susun's directions for mastitus and infant care to good effect. She has a website and forum I visit as well.

I don't try to explain herbal infusions to most visitors to my home and family - it's so foreign to them - but my DP now knows what that quart of leafy mass and water sitting on the counter is and he is comfortable with it, if not joining me in my practices!
#11 of 38 Old 12-03-2007, 12:50 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#12 of 38 Old 12-03-2007, 01:51 AM
kpb

here here here!
all of the women in my family are huge ssw fans...

and one of my fondest memories of ds thus far was an impromptu car ride last spring (he must have been 13 or 14 months) and while chomping on a handful of chickweed that he picked, passed out with stems hanging out of his mouth......so sweet.

her books are a great stepping stone/primer to the world of herbs, and most importantly getting the point across that everyone's body is different--so different herbs for varying constitutions.....

we have our book collection readily accessible to ds, and can't wait till he names all of our backyard gems (currently he's fascinated with nettle and will purposefully run into it and show me the resultant bumps.....goob!)

firefaery--curious as to what your first route of treatment is...I'm a fourfold path person myself, but would love to hear what your modality is...:

cheers to you all!
Kyara
#13 of 38 Old 12-03-2007, 10:14 AM

My first stop (in acute instances) is almost always structure. this can be several things, but for my family it is either chiropractic, craniosacral therapy or network. However for deep healing I will always go for homeopathy hands down. This includes flower essences. I have seen amazing things with both. What I like is that they allow hte body to shift back into alignment in it's own time without pushing. Homeopathy respects the body's innate wisdom and allows the healing process to happen. Chiropractic (especially the two gentler forms) does the same thing, but homeopathy on a deeper level.

On a daily basis I would say that we use food as a healing tool. That can be confused with herbs because herbs are food. The difference is in their application. I think it's important to eat a nourishing diet daliy to provide your body with everything it needs to be balanced. Herbs included. I just don't treat ear infections or flus with herbs...that's when it becomes pharmacological for me. That's when I would reach for something that would assist the body in finding center. I'm also not saying that herbs aren't effective when used in this way, just that it isn't my preference. I find that herbs can stop the process, but that shouldn't be the aim. In my mind if the body needs to detox something it should be supprted in that, not stopped. I like to go deeper.
#14 of 38 Old 12-03-2007, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
On a daily basis I would say that we use food as a healing tool. That can be confused with herbs because herbs are food. The difference is in their application. I think it's important to eat a nourishing diet daliy to provide your body with everything it needs to be balanced. Herbs included. I just don't treat ear infections or flus with herbs...that's when it becomes pharmacological for me. That's when I would reach for something that would assist the body in finding center. I'm also not saying that herbs aren't effective when used in this way, just that it isn't my preference. I find that herbs can stop the process, but that shouldn't be the aim. In my mind if the body needs to detox something it should be supprted in that, not stopped. I like to go deeper.
I'm right with you ff.

Quote:
Ditto.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#15 of 38 Old 12-04-2007, 07:51 AM

I found the Childbearing Year INVALUABLE while pregnant with my son and is still check with it first for everything on my son. It doesn't cover everything, but it sure is great. I don't agree with everything and really who can agree with everything someone else says, but I love her to pieces.
#16 of 38 Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 AM

I use a combination of Nutrient dense foods and herbs to promote
health, and in some cases other treatments.

I have not read the book though , i will now

It seems like everyone on my Husbands side of the family
come to me for their health problems, oy!
#17 of 38 Old 12-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:

For ear infection, I use garlic oil. It has worked for every member of
my family, every time! I always get the really potent stuff

I was a bit skeptical the very first time i tried it, my baby DD had
a double ear infection...really nasty one, in both ears! I got the
oil and some hylands ear numbing drops. The next day her fever
went down and the day after that no more infection.

The challenge was getting the oil to stay in, so i would either hold
her on her side or do it right before her nap.
#18 of 38 Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 AM

I am a complete novice fascinated by this discussion. I will look for her books at the library, but since I am totally ignorant, could you suggest some starting places for my learning?

I'm at a point where I need to completely restructure my diet/lifestyle and I need some direction. I would also like to learn natural/homeopathic healing.
#19 of 38 Old 12-04-2007, 03:01 PM

you can search her name online: susun weed and you should find lots of info. I think she has four books?
#20 of 38 Old 12-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne D'Arc View Post

For ear infection, I use garlic oil. It has worked for every member of
my family, every time! I always get the really potent stuff

I was a bit skeptical the very first time i tried it, my baby DD had
a double ear infection...really nasty one, in both ears! I got the
oil and some hylands ear numbing drops. The next day her fever
went down and the day after that no more infection.

The challenge was getting the oil to stay in, so i would either hold
her on her side or do it right before her nap.

Lol-it's true it works! Actually I think onion juice is faster and more effective. But there's a perfect example. For our family an ear infection generally means a subluxation. Treating the pain is fine, but it will often recur if you don't get the structure dealt with. At the first sign of ear pain, off to the chiropractor we go!
#21 of 38 Old 12-04-2007, 05:31 PM
kpb

hmm.....the deeper the healing the better

we've never done the chiro thing, so I can't speak on that, but we are big homeopath-heads, and truly believe in healing on multiple levels.....

however, to use firefaery's choice of diction, the pharmacological aspects of homeopathy bother me sometimes....granted, my husband and son (who's been a homeopathic baby almost his entire life) are on the road with some really interesting constitutionals, the acute remedies often find an unfortunate likeness to popping an advil.......

I mentioned the fourfold path in my previous post, and after having been a major foodie my entire life, Sally Fallon and Thomas Cowan books falling into my lap has totally upped the ante and that is my first and most tantamount route of healing.

Sometimes, my husband will look at a grocer's bill and snarl...and I quickly say, justifiably, "this is our health insurance"...that keeps him quiet, esp when all of our friends are sick every other weak and he's as chipper as ever. The other aspects are movement, a sort of energy channeling (sounds hokey, but really pretty cool), and the "external" healers, I call them, like herbs and homeopathy....
our bods are pretty complicated little machines, and I like to address all aspects of the structure....hmmm...a long winded way to say, yes, firefaery, I totally hear you!

mallori--these books are a great way to get started...another place to start, diet wise, is to check out the traditional foods forum on MDC, or even do a search....perhaps sitting down and figuring out what foods do and don't work for you would be a start, too--I find that the most important part of any kind of healing process (which is why I think allopathic doctors are such phonies) is honing your instinct and insight into your body...ie, not all wonderful potions will work the same way with everyone......

p.s. love the "kitchen witch" description...I'm fighting the dichotomy of domestic goddess and kitchen witch

cheers
Kyara
#22 of 38 Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 PM

Yes, we only use homeopathy constitutionally (or if dealing with miasms.)

I see a big difference between homeopathy/flower essences and herbs though. Herbs have a direct effect on the body. They are measurable and constant. Some herbs raise white counts, or increase progesterone, or regulate insulin levels. Many of these things will happen whether you *need* them to or not. Some herbs are adaptogenic, so that is a bit different. But, they are still chemicals even if they come from the earth.

Homeopathy will ONLY work if you get the right remedy and the body is ready for the shift. It is an energy medicine and therefore by definition far different than herbs. I would mind using homeopathy/essences far less in an acute situation simply because I feel as though they still respect the bodies decision. If you give belladonna to a feverish child whose body isn't ready for the fever to break, it's not going to. To me that is a BIG difference.

I just have a huge affinity for energy medicine in general. I love how well it addresses emotional as well as physiological symptoms. I love how with the right remedy you don't even need to *know* what's wrong. I love that there is no possibility for harm and no contraindications. I love that you don't need to worry about overdosing. It is just so easy to me!

That said, we are putting a home remedy kit to market soon that I co-developed and there are several herbs in there!
#23 of 38 Old 12-05-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
That said, we are putting a home remedy kit to market soon that I co-developed and there are several herbs in there!
Will you be making it public here once it's available? I'd love to find something like that as the homeopath my family (as in myself, sister, mother) see is 2 hours away, not exactly practical for routine treatment. I was able to successfully treat ds's apparent croup with aconitum from a Hyland's kids kit after scouring a few homeopathy books at 1am (not my best thinking time), or it resolved on it's own Either way, it was very exciting to a homeopath amateur like me.
#24 of 38 Old 12-05-2007, 02:05 AM

Love Susan Weed! Love the Wise Woman Tradition. I just made my first Nettle infusion . . . It is SO dark! I just put a little in my water every time. <3
#25 of 38 Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 AM

IT is going public. The site is done as are the marketing materials. We are waiting on two or three things. The intro to our book is being written by an MD who is also an herbalist and the guide to homeopathic remedies has been done by the president of the National Center for Homeopathy. It's exciting. We have several well known docs that have agreed to endorse it. We are just finishing getting the message board dealt with and it will be out. IT's been a long time coming.

I am currently in school studying to be a Doctor of Integrative Medicine. This is totally my passion!
#26 of 38 Old 12-25-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
IT is going public. The site is done as are the marketing materials. We are waiting on two or three things. The intro to our book is being written by an MD who is also an herbalist and the guide to homeopathic remedies has been done by the president of the National Center for Homeopathy. It's exciting. We have several well known docs that have agreed to endorse it. We are just finishing getting the message board dealt with and it will be out. IT's been a long time coming.

I am currently in school studying to be a Doctor of Integrative Medicine. This is totally my passion!
Wow, wish I could come see you for all my (and ds's) issues! Can't wait to see your site and hopefully the book as well. Given your responses here I know that you have extensive knowledge (as well as passion) and just feel fortunate to have "access" to someone like you
#27 of 38 Old 12-25-2007, 06:47 AM

Thanks! I love having a forum a diverse as this one. It is amazing that we can all bring our strengths and help each other to learn. Yay, MDC!
#28 of 38 Old 12-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Hi all. I've been gathering information and practicing "food as medicine" for some time now. Ultimately, I think I will be a healer in the tradition of Jewish (Rambam, etc...)/Wise Woman healing. Have much to do but I"m very interesed. Also would like to be convinced of homeopathy. Truly. It sounds WAAAY to far out there to "work" (though I see that this works in a different way then I am accustomed to with foods) but I have seen this work only ONCE for us (dd, when teething) but never since. We have a friend who claims success with this (he is a homeopath) and another friend who is an amature homeopath but no success for me.

GOTTA RUN....

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#29 of 38 Old 12-25-2007, 07:11 PM

I would be very interested in learning more about herbs/homeopathy and natural medicines in general. Though Homeopathy didnt work for me personally( maybe incorrect dosage?) but many swear by it so its always great to have the knowledge.
I have one question- what do u all mean when u say u use herbs as food??
sorrry I am new to this so am wondering?

Pari, Student, Job Seeker and mom to K (2006) and A(2011)

#30 of 38 Old 12-25-2007, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
I'm right with you ff.

Ditto.
Me, too I haven't learned much about flower essences yet, though. I tried RR a few times and it never worked for me, so I've been sticking w/homeopathy. I'm certainly open to learning, though

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page