16mo steroid shot for croup Tues, it came back, fevers for last 3 weeks, help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2007, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Timeline:

Nov. 8 - DH bad sore throat, strep test neg. (Nov. 6) DS 101 fever, went to almost 104 overnight. Gave tylenol a couple times but I was underdosing and it didn't really help. EXTREMELY lethargic and slept most of that night. Next morning, fever down to 102 and perky.
Nov. 9 - Took to doc, said probably a bug, probably not strep or flu. Congestion/runny nose, little bit of red throat. I started getting the bug but took immune boosters.
Nov. 10 - still fever 101 or so, took him to urgent care afternoon because he was writhing on the floor and nothing comforting him. Doc checked everything again, sore throat only. strep test negative. He got better from there. May have been teething also.
Nov. 18 night - sounded like he was starting to get congested again, 101 fever
Nov. 19/20 - croup and wheezy breathing all night, fever
Nov. 20 - Doc said croup, he was very wheezy so they gave steroid shot which helped a lot. He seemed much better after that and Nov. 21.
Nov. 21 night - croup and fever came back. DH bad sore throat again and I can tell I'm getting it too.

I have given DS Herbs for Kids Deep immune support and throat/resp support but maybe not consistent enough.

1. Is it unusual for the croup to come back after a steroid shot?
2. It's obviously some kind of bug but this has been going on since Nov. 6th! Is it a different bug everytime, or is it mutating amongst us and reinfecting??

Please help, he's had fever for the better part of 3 weeks, on and off.

Right now he is awake and perky, but croup and fever. I was trying to give him Vit. C (SA) but the only kind I have right now is orange chewable, I pulverized it and sprinkled on food but he wont' eat it. Do you know if most stores have it in liquid form?

Can they test for infection or what kind of bug it is??

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2007, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Update, he is better this morning, still slight fever but breathing is better. Perky and running around. I just can't figure out why he keeps getting sick or what the heck it is
We all may be contagious with whatever it is so no thanksgiving for us with the families.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:55 PM

Sounds like something my daughter went through last month.

Croup...steroids...turned into bronchitis then turned into something weird with super high fever (topped out at 106.9). She ended up staying two nights in the hospital where they determined she had an adenovirus. Evidently it is a common childhood virus but you don't necessarily know you have it because it can present in a variety of ways and is confirmed via a nasal swab (not a typical office procedure).

My daughter also had the sore throat, complete with pus but negative strep tests (3 were done over the course of the week). The pediatrician thought for sure it was going to be mono but the blood test came up negative. That was pretty much the extent of the testing the ped could order outside of the hospital (she did blood test, blood culture, throat culture, lungs were clear so no x-ray).

So yes they can likely find out what type of infection it is but to find out would most likely be more invasive. Over the course of 7 days my daughter had 3 strep tests, 6 blood tests, 2 nasals swabs, 2 catheters, and 2 IVs. All that and it was "just a virus". Granted it was an uncommon reaction to a common virus.

I am really glad that your son is feeling better - hopefully it is a trend that continues for him.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
Update, he is better this morning, still slight fever but breathing is better. Perky and running around. I just can't figure out why he keeps getting sick or what the heck it is
We all may be contagious with whatever it is so no thanksgiving for us with the families.

Is he vaccinated?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Is he vaccinated?
Sigh, yes he has had most up until 12 months, this is a huge issue between DH and I :. He has not had newborn HepB, MMR, roto, or CP vaxes. Bad reaction to 2 month set.

MyTwoAs, I have heard about that adenovirus recently and kind of wondered if that might be it. Except for the few bad times, he's been pretty good and not acting uncomfortable. But it definitely seems to be more than just a regular cold as he's gotten plenty of those from daycare and those didn't give him fevers. And it's gone on for the better part of 3 weeks, like I said I can't figure out if it's the same virus coming back or different ones. WOW your daughter had over 106 fever?? that is crazy high, I can't imagine. Poor baby!

He did have a runny pooh today which is unusual so I'll see if I can get some probiotic in him.
Thanks!

User Tag List