Non-Narcotic Treatment for ADD/ADHD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-23-2007, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
All of the sources I read are targeted toward childhood ADD. I need something for grown-up me! Herbal remedies aren't doing the trick. Valerian and chamomile make me tired without improving focus and concentration. I'm at a loss for ideas! Has anybody read up on any nutritional, homeopathic, or other interventions?? I'm driving myself nuts and will consider anything! :

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 7 Old 11-23-2007, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we used food, enzymes, gut healing and homeopathy to get both mine off the spectrum.

Common therapy for autism, (which includes all spectrum disorders including ADD and ADHD) is enzymes...read here: http://enzymestuff.com/conditionadhd.htm

also, many people report symptoms are completely controlled by going GF/CF. That helped tremendously in our case. Baby crying, must go...Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 11-23-2007, 08:52 PM

The Feingold diet is widely accepted in Great Britain and Europe as a non-invasive alternative to chemical intervention for add/adhd. Google Feingold or even do a search here on MDC and you will find a lot of information about it.
#4 of 7 Old 11-23-2007, 09:35 PM

Actually the sort of "new and improved" version of the Feingold diet is the Failsafe diet, so you may want to look into that too...there are many mamas on this board with experience doing it. It gos a little further than the Feingold, and many find it to be more effective.
#5 of 7 Old 11-23-2007, 11:25 PM

My understanding is that research supports feingold/failsafe for the hyperactive related parts of ADHD but didn't find improvements in focus.
I recently read a news story on brains of ADHD and the end references meditation increasing attention centers in adult volunteers. Seemed possibly promising to me. http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...683069,00.html

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 7 Old 11-24-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Actually the sort of "new and improved" version of the Feingold diet is the Failsafe diet, so you may want to look into that too...there are many mamas on this board with experience doing it. It gos a little further than the Feingold, and many find it to be more effective.
i second failsafe and GF/CF! i notice a HUGE difference in my DDs behaviour, mood, and memory depending on diet.

as far as other therapies check out amino acid therapy. maybe try googling it. i was reading a good article that summed it all up...if i find it again i will post back. basically they said trying to naturally increase seretonin (and other neurotransmitter) levels by supplementing w specific amino acids has been found to help. good luck! post back to let us know what works (or doesnt work).

#7 of 7 Old 12-04-2007, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
A much delayed thank-you to all! I'm researching these options and will let you know how they work!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page