Vitamin B6 toxicity - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have posted around here about my strange peripheral nerve pain/burning. Well, I have some news about that:

I just got my labs back and I have a toxic level of vitamin B6 in my blood stream. A couple of years ago when I had this burning pain, I had been taking high levels of B vitamins and found I was overdosing on B6. The burning went away eventually after stopping taking the supplement. now, it is back even tho I was only taking a much lower dosage of B6. Apparently, my body can't process or eliminate B6 and it builds up to neuro-toxicity. This is rare but documented. I am stopping the supplements and hoping the burning stops. Last time it took four months b/c my nerves had to regenerate from the damage. I honestly did not think it could be that this time. I was only having one packet of e-c per day and one prenatal vitamin. When the pain came back, I just thought it meant something else caused it last time and the b6 was a fluke. Strange... One for House, eh?

I am worried tho: is my eight month old baby getting too much b6 in my milk since i have about 10 times the safe levels in my bloodstream? any ideas?
Is this keeping him up at night? One sign of too much B6 is insomnia and he is having such a challenge with sleep.
#2 of 3 Old 11-30-2007, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think B vitamins can go through to milk. When I was pumping, I distinctly saw a difference in the color of my milk depending on how much earlier I'd taken my B supplement. My guess (emphasis on guess) is that if lots of B6 is circulating in your blood, then it's going into your milk as well. Not sure how to correct for that, though--anything you can take that would be antagonistic to B6? Sorry you're dealing with this--it seems so hard to pin down, and really a drag (understatement, I'm sure). Wishing you the best in feeling better!
#3 of 3 Old 11-30-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks so much for your caring words. I have consulted a LC and it seems that the B6 in my bloodstream does go to milk. the good news is that now that I am not taking the supplement, it should move out of my body quickly.
I used to live in austin, BTW!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page