When to worry about a cough - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-30-2007, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS has had a cough for almost 3 weeks. It started with a low grade fever 3 weeks ago that only lasted for a couple of days. Then he started with a dry cough, which quickly turned wet sounding. We took him to the doctor 2 weeks ago to rule out bronchitis (it was a Friday, so I figured to play it safe we would take him in so that if it did get worse over the weekend then we were covered). He did not have bronchitis and the doctor said it was just a virus - let it run its course. Doctor also said that a cough is generally not something to worry about unless they last more than 2 weeks. We didn't take him to the doctor again last week because the cough was very gradually becoming less and less. Well, it is still here and very wet sounding. Every morning he wakes up and coughs a bit and I have him blow his nose and I can't believe the stuff that comes out! It is mostly clear, but there is some yellow from settling. Nothing scary - just a LOT of it.

Now DD is sick. She started with a cough in the middle of the night last night. She is sneezing and has the same wet sounding cough with a runny nose. I can't help but think that because she is just now getting sick that maybe DS had one cold right on top of the other and she has caught the second cold and not the first. She couldn't possibly come down with a cold that he started with 3 weeks ago, right? Isn't the incubation period for a cold only like 3-7 days or something? DS is in pre-K, so he gets exposed to all kinds of germies.

Anyway...when do you worry about the duration of a cough? If there is no fever, then it shouldn't be pnemonia, right? Plus, he is acting completely normal, except that his appetite is 100%, but he is still eating well.
#2 of 8 Old 12-01-2007, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
After 4 or 5 weeks, we decided mine was Pertussis. It was very wet & thick, like I couldn't cough "deep enough" to get around the phlegm to bring it up, kwim? I must be on week 7 or 8 now. I think the worst of it lasted until 6 weeks, then the spacing between the coughing fits became longer & longer. Oh, and it kept me up almost all night long for the first 3-4 weeks. I didn't have a fever though. My kiddos got it, but it didn't seem to last as long for them. Ds threw up from the severity of the coughing. I didn't get a runny nose until maybe 5 weeks into the cough. Not sure if it was related or just a different virus that I picked up.

Just a thought if it doesn't end anytime soon.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#3 of 8 Old 12-01-2007, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

DS hasn't had any coughing in the middle of the night for the last week or so. His cough is just first thing in the morning, and is wet sounding. Even when he was coughing more, it was never severe or one of those coughing fits. I've had those before and they are just awful. I've blown DS's nose several times this morning and there is still a lot of stuff coming up. How do you know when viral has turned to bacterial? Does the color of the mucus change? Because his is still clear to yellow. Just a lot of it.

DD did fine last night. No coughing in the middle of night, but after she woke up she coughed a few times and it still sounds rattley/phlegmy. Her nose is runny still too, which would explain the wet cough.

It doesn't sound like my kids have what you had because their coughs aren't keeping them awake at night. Well...DS had a few coughing episodes a week or so back in the middle of the night, and DD woke with the cough 2 nights ago. But, other than that, it is just the wet cough first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the info!
#4 of 8 Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 PM

I agree it does NOT sound like wc at all.

I would not worry about the cough but I would give them Vita C every day several times. SA is the best treatment for cough.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...03&postcount=2
#5 of 8 Old 12-02-2007, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! What is the recommended dosage for a child under a year old? DS's multi-vitamin (which I did get at a natural health food store) contains Vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid and calcium ascorbate. Would this do as well?
#6 of 8 Old 12-02-2007, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gitti's got dosing in her link, but for my kids, I've had to just do trial-and-error to get to bowel tolerance (diarrhea, then cut back a bit). For my kids, that's been way higher than the guidelines Gitti's got, but I think I understand why (in our case, I mean).

You'll definitely need more than is in a multivitamin (you'd get too much other stuff anyway). The SA is just salty tasting, mixes well with water or juice.
#7 of 8 Old 12-02-2007, 10:04 PM

a favorite for congestion in our home is eucalyptus oil in a pan of boiling water on the stove it really helps keep little noses and chest clear and the moisture helps break everything up. i live in a really wet area and coughs happen alot. I really dont think it sounds like pertussis, and frankly shame on the mommy that put that fear into your mind. coughs happen, pertussis makes it really hard to catch breath in between coughing fits and has a distinctive sound to the cough. but wet coughs are good it shows that there is stuff moving around in there. Snot is good too it is infection leaving the body weather from coughing it up or coming out of the nose. When to worry when the cough is accompanied by fever (above 102), When it is dry and unproductive (could be croupe, or pnaumonia) You will know if it is something serious because your babies will not be playing or laughing, they will let you know.
my biggest problem has been the congestion causing ear infections in little ones be ware.
sounds like lots of cuddles and warm soups can cure this one
(steamy showers may help too)
good luck

mommy 2 joey-1/14/05, kai 11/01/06, alexis 8/25/07
#8 of 8 Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! DS only coughed maybe 6 times today and not as junky sounding. There was less stuff coming out of his nose too. DD had a few junky sounding coughs today too, but no more than once every couple of hours, and only a brief cough - no coughing fits. Neither have had that at all. Both have acted fine through all of this and have been playing and happy. No fevers except for DS having a fever on that very first day or two 3 weeks ago. I may take DS to the doctor just to have him listen to his lungs tomorrow. We are going on a vacation to Disney over the weekend, and I would hate for it to be something more (bronchitis, sinus infection or something) and us to be away from home without needed medication. I'm less worried about DD because I am still breastfeeding her, so she has that added protection.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page