I accedently spilled boiling water on my hand - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
was making tea and had a full cup that was boilling and I dropped it and it went all my hand.........I swear it hurts like a BIOTCH..It is from my kunckeles and half way down my arm.........Its all red and I have never felt a injury to myself this bad....It still feels really hot I cant stop bawling.....PLEASE HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 04:18 PM

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fir...-burns/FA00022
Old 12-03-2007, 04:24 PM

Do you have any lavendar oil? I keep a big bottle in the kitchen for quick access for burns. It really helps a lot.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 PM

Go to a clinic or the ER. They can help determine what degree of burn it is and how it should be treated.

My mom had hot coffee on her hands and she got second and third degrees burns. It's not something that you play around with.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM

One time boiling water splashed on to me and soaked my shirt. I couldn't get it off quick enough, it was terrible. I never went to a clinic or ER, but I remember using oils to help treat it.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:38 PM

OMG. When I was 13 I spilled boiling water from a pot of spaghetti all over my foot and lower leg and across some of my abdomen and waist. The handle of the pot was loose. Yeah. Bad. :

I just ran it under cold water in the bath tub for a really long time. I think my mom finished making dinner. I never blistered and didn't think I needed ER care. I guess my mom didn't think about it, either.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 PM

If it doesn't look too bad you could try vinegar or lemon juice. Or honey.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:47 PM

I keep an aloe plant in the house for burns. The sap is very healing.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
Old 12-03-2007, 05:41 PM

I did that a few years ago, a huge pot, accross my hand , and down my leg. Im so sorry hun, its the worst! I have since had a baby, and I would have trouble telling you which hurt more.
We had to call 911, and when the EMS came they had to make me pull my hand out of the ice water, I refused and 2 large men FORCED my hand out and into a towel. I understand that they had to do that, but IT HURT!!!!!!
I ice water will help, but if it hurts bad enough, go see the doc and get them to give you something (or a homeopath, whoever you see). Also, you should get it covered (lightly, and so it can breathe)
This is the worst, take care if yourself!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:44 PM

the numbe rone thing is keeping it in cold water as long as you can. Ideally, until it doesn't burn when you take itout of the water. Aftert that, lavender is good, as is aloe.

I once exploded a propane oven in my face (don't ask) and got burns all over my face. I kep it in cold water...I kept dunking my fac ein a basin of ice water, and applying ice water soaked cloth to my face...I kept that up for over an hour, until it mostly stopped burning. I ended up not even blistering on my face...but my hands had gotten burnt, too,much less badly than my face so I didn't even feel it until my face stopped hurting, and since I didn't do anything aobut them, THEY blistered. so, cold water for as long as possible.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:45 PM

I just re-read your post and realized you burned a bigger area than I thought. Can you go to the ER? If yous tart to get chills or shaky, definitely go to the ER.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:25 PM

EEK, yeah, maybe this is ER-visit-worthy! That's a big area to hurt to badly

but in future (and probably for smaller burns), buy a bottle of pure Vitamin E oil. Or even buy capsules and have a pin handy to puncture them.

I've tried all the natural burn remedies, including butchering my aloe plant, honey, vinegar, you name it. Vit. E is by far the best. The sooner you use it the better too. Once recently i burnt a tiny bit of my hand on the oven door, and thought, "oh, it's so tiny it doesn't need anything on it" WRONG! I had a painful scab for a week from that one "tiny" burn! Other, worse burns + Vit. E oil are usually gone completely the next morning

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 PM

https://www.who.int/surgery/publicat...management.pdf

There are figures about half way through the link that show the rule of nine's that help you determine how much is burned. There's also a chart there that talks about the different types of burns and you can see how bad it is. If it's second degree or greater in a significant area, I'd go to the ER.

HTH
Old 12-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Go to the ER. You don't want to mess with burns.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 12-03-2007, 06:44 PM

Yikes, I am thinking that I underestimated the severity of this. You should definitely have it checked out.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 PM

Any news? How are you feeling?

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 PM

I hope you go to the ER, and I hope you feel better.

How would one use lavender oil on a burn? Neat, or mixed with a carrier oil?

<>< Alison
Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 PM

I think you use lavendar oil neat.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 PM

I use lavender neat.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank You for the replys........I put my hand in vineger,and put lavender oil on it.....I then did aloe and the aloe really seemed to make it feel better,now I have 2 huge blisters(they popped already) and the rest of my hand arm is swollen and and diffrent shades of white red and pink.....It does feel a little better though half the day I was crying......I will go to the dr on tuesday if it looks funny or I feel like I need to.............I would have went today but figured they would just give me antibiotics: and a tetnis shot.............

sadie_sabot-Ouch so sorry about your face ouch I cant even imagine.....

CNutty-Yes I would have to say this hurt more then having a baby atlest theres joy with the pain when giving birth....

Everyone else thank you for all the great tips and helping me out it truly means alot to me that you all cared I am very greatful THANK YOU:
Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 AM

it sounds like a 2nd degree burn. i had one when i poured tea over my hand when i was 11, to make it worse i also had strep throat at the time. i had a huge blister at the point of impact, i still have the scar on my hand. burns are really crappy.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 AM

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Thank You for the replys........I put my hand in vineger,and put lavender oil on it.....I then did aloe and the aloe really seemed to make it feel better,now I have 2 huge blisters(they popped already) and the rest of my hand arm is swollen and and diffrent shades of white red and pink.....It does feel a little better though half the day I was crying......I will go to the dr on tuesday if it looks funny or I feel like I need to.............I would have went today but figured they would just give me antibiotics: and a tetnis shot.............

sadie_sabot-Ouch so sorry about your face ouch I cant even imagine.....

CNutty-Yes I would have to say this hurt more then having a baby atlest theres joy with the pain when giving birth....

Everyone else thank you for all the great tips and helping me out it truly means alot to me that you all cared I am very greatful THANK YOU:
Red WHITE and pink? White is usually an indication of dead skin and third degree burn. You should have a doc look at it just in case.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Did you go to the doctor?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 AM

raw honey applied regularly until it's healed will reduce scarring and keep the thing sterilized and debrised. I used it on my knee when I spilled boiling water on it.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
raw honey applied regularly until it's healed will reduce scarring and keep the thing sterilized and debrised. I used it on my knee when I spilled boiling water on it.

:

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09

User Tag List