Do you always give Tylenol for a fever? If not, what then? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My poor baby.: He is not well. Yesterday was his birthday, and not only did he not eat the cake we bought, he didn't eat anything. Just nursed. He has runny nose and a fever. We gave him Tylenol last night and his fever broke and he seemed in much better spirits. But today he woke with fever again - just a low one. Part of me wants to give him Tylenol to reduce his fever. But, isn't a fever b/c the body is fighting something? It's not that bad, I don't want to go to the doctor.

wwyd? Give Tylenol, or do something else?

(Some birthday, huh? )

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 04:17 PM

how high is the fever? I try to let my kids fight it themselves for a few days. A fever is the body trying to fight infection. Fevers themselves are rarely harmful...it would have to be very high to do harm. If they seem truly uncomfortable, I might give tylenol to help them rest. Motrin is generally safer, but my kids act really funny with motrin.
#3 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Let the fever run it's course. That is the BEST thing. If there are other symptoms that would make you worry or indicate something like meningitis, you need to see a doctor, but the Tylenol might just mask that. I only very rarely give tylenol for pain. Not for fever.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 PM

if they're miserable or temp over 103 that is not coming down by other measures (bath, clothing changes, etc...) i do tylenol or motrin

Becka, partnered with Eric. Momma to Kenz, 12, Abbey, 9, Nik, 8, Johanna, 3.5, and newone on the way in October

#5 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 04:34 PM

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/17/fever.htm here's what mercola has to say about fever!

My daughter had fever on Friday of 104.4 and all I gave was aconitum napellus. Only had to give her two tablets with giving luke warm baths she ran fever for 24 hrs. basically and she was better!! I use to use tylenol and IB but I am learning as I get older all these things more alternative medicine now! There little bodies are okay with a fever of 104.4 but 104.5 you are advised on mercola's site to seek medical attention for under 2 I believe it stated. She is 10 months old so I was scarred! Being this was the first fever or sickness. Only went in there to get a referral for my son to get Occupational Therapy. She had to see him because he was a new patient as our old dr. fired us!! That's another story!! Well good luck just make sure lots of fluids (water, water, water) and of course nurse!
#6 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 PM

I've not given tylenol yet, don't even have it in the house. DS is almost 3. I've seen 104.5 on the thermometer and wasn't even really tempted to go get some. I care a lot more about how he's acting than the number on the thermometer. Kids are supposed to get high fevers to fight bugs so I try to let them do their jobs.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#7 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 04:47 PM

We don't do fever reducers here either. If necessary, we use belladona, but I don't even remember the last time we even did that.
#8 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingagirl2b#4 View Post
http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/17/fever.htm here's what mercola has to say about fever!
Wow, that was really helpful. It totally fit with DS's behaviors: yesterday he did not want to eat, he just nursed and drank water. This morning too. And rest. He slept a lot yesterday, although not terribly soundly b/c he was stuffy.

His fever's not too high. We don't have a thermometer, but I can tell by touching him. He's just warm, and crabby.

I think he'll be better in no time.

Thanks, mamas.

#9 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM

we use motrin if anything here, but i use it mainly to give comfort, not reduce fever just to get a "better thermometer readout", yk?

if they're running a 102 fever but wanting to jump and play, then i let the fever run its course. generally the higher a fever gets the yukkier you feel, so i watch their behavior as much as their temp if not more. HTH

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#10 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nope, I never medicate fevers. Fever is the body's way of healing itself, and I don't want to interfere with that process, even if the medication would make the baby more comfortable.

The only times I've used tylenol or motrin was when the baby was in pain from teething or something and other methods weren't working enough. I usually used one dose at bedtime, vs keeping baby medicated around the clock. Even then, I'm hesitant to use the medication if the baby has a fever; if the child is in pain but not feverish I feel better about using a little medicine.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#11 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to health and healing. Hope your little one feels better soon!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#12 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 05:59 PM

We don't use fever reducers here.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#13 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM

With my girls I always let the fever run its course unless they are very miserable. With my son we have to treat his fever b/c he has a health condition where if he runs even a low grade temp it can be very harmful to him.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#14 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 06:16 PM

We don't do fever reducers here either....You should check out "Naturally Healthy Children and Babies". I reference this book at least weekly. It helps me to remain confident in why I choose not to supress certain things. It also gives good teas and natural remedies for a variety of ailments.

If I do get worried about how hot one of my kids feel--we don't measure with a thermometer, just by touch--I will put a cool wash cloth on their foreheads. This seems to help break the fever.
#15 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika3 View Post
We don't do fever reducers here either....You should check out "Naturally Healthy Children and Babies". I reference this book at least weekly. It helps me to remain confident in why I choose not to supress certain things. It also gives good teas and natural remedies for a variety of ailments.
Thanks for the book referral, I am going to order that one. The one I use right now is "Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child" What I like about it, is it lists homeopathic, herbal, and other natural treatments as well as listing conventional treatments (which is great for reference).

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#16 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I don't give anything for a fever. I actually make sure they are kept quiet, and warm under a down comforter. I encourage drinking a little, but don't push it.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#17 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 08:42 PM

Another for no fever reducers. Water, bone broths, I encourageDS to lay down as much as possible, cool wash cloths if needed, and baths.

It is best to not treat a mild fever the first day- the immune system is working to kill whatever microoganism/s that is making one sick. The trouble is a prolonged fever.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#18 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't give tylenol (ever) or any fever reducers either. IME fevers usually break no higher than 104.5

I use the alternative methods described here by other parents

Decluttering 500/2010
#19 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 PM

I use homeopathics, but if he is so uncomfortable he won't sleep I'll give the tylenol--half a dose only, that seems to work just fine. Otherwise I let the fever run if he's not totally miserable and is nursing fine. We've had to use it like 2x maybe.
#20 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 PM

Not only do we not give fever reducers but we don't measure the temperature either. We don't bother with a thermometer. I don't think we even have one?

And we don't do baths, or anything other than cover up to comfort level and let the fever run its course. Lots of TLC. That's it.

I raised three kids that way and never once used abx. Now we have three grandchildren and they are all being raised the same way. No vaccines either.

I find parents who use fever reducers say that the fever goes down after medication and then it goes back up. Well, it does that naturally also.
#21 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 PM

If the fever is making them miserable I give motrin (acts faster than tylenol)....
#22 of 33 Old 12-03-2007, 11:54 PM

We don't use fever reducers. I would consider medicating for pain or comfort if needed. I haven't needed to yet (knock wood). Dd has run up to a 105 temp.

Fever in and of itself is not dangerous and reducing it doesn't "help" anything.

-Angela
#23 of 33 Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great info.

My LO is a little better today but he's still warm. : He hasn't had any medication.

#24 of 33 Old 12-04-2007, 03:50 PM

FYI - its not what the number reads, but how they're acting, that signals how sick they are...
#25 of 33 Old 12-04-2007, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancat View Post
FYI - its not what the number reads, but how they're acting, that signals how sick they are...
I agree. I only get real worried if it LOOKS bad. I've had my dd in the ER with lethargy and so limp that she looked dead (she had severe pneumonia). That's about the only situation I would give tylenol/motrin again. But if they're not to that point, I don't do anything.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#26 of 33 Old 12-04-2007, 04:46 PM

I know how you feel about wanting to help ease your child's discomfort. My daughter recently had a 104-105 degree fever, she was miserable, I was miserable for her, but I did not do anything except comfort her, and you will see why after reading the rest of this.

Check out a book by Robert S. Mendelsohn, MD, called How To Raise a Healthy Child In Spite of Your Doctor. Great book, covers basic health info that certainly every parent is going to face, like fevers. As a biologist, I can concur with what he says and what many people have already said: fever is your body's way of fighting the virus--do not interfere with it. Your body will not let its temperature get high enough that it will damage anything--brain, liver, whatever. The only way it would ever get too high is through external mechanisms resulting in conditions like heat stroke, heat exhaustion, etc. One thing to watch for is how quicly the temperature rises. If it rises quickly, convulsions may occur. If it rises slowly, they will not.

Hope this helps. Definitely get that book!
#27 of 33 Old 12-04-2007, 04:56 PM

I didn't read the rest of the thread first.

I don't always or even usually give tylenol/etc except for pain. The fever has to be pretty bad before I go that route.

Here is why. Fever is the body's way of fighting the virus by "cooking" it and making it difficult for it to replicate. I find that my children get over their illness faster if I leave the fever alone. They usually spend on lethargic day in, and then are pretty much better.

I use the same theory by taking a really hot bath if I am fighting an illness.
#28 of 33 Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM

Just echoing everyone else's feelings on the subject...

Don't do fever reducers either any more (I'm a reformed tylenol user)...

I have made an one exception in the 5 years since going this route.. and it was day 2 and i as well as ds needed sleep and fever was preventing this... sleep is always considered sacred in this family

I do in general raise the temp in the house (I generally keep it at about 62 F .. so cold to most people's standards) and let the munchkin run around at comfort. I generally heat the house until he can be comfortable running around in his underwear. In my twisted mind, my theory is that he retains the ability for heat to dissipate as needed but is comfortable... generally for him that's around 70 -75 (but I think in general he's more tolerable of "cold" than norm).
#29 of 33 Old 12-05-2007, 03:39 AM

If the fever is not high enough to be dangerous, I would not try to reduce it in any way! It is the body's natural response to fighting off the infection and you do not want to tamper with that! Again, I would watch for dangerously high temp closely! Hope you all feel better soon!
#30 of 33 Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian's Momma View Post
If the fever is not high enough to be dangerous, I would not try to reduce it in any way!
The body does not allow the fever to GET high enough to be dangerous as a rule. Dangerous is probably over 107 for most situations.

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page