Too many X-rays? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 08-13-2003, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took my 2.5 yr old to a dentist two weeks ago for suspected cavities. Turns out I was right and he does have two small ones in his top back teeth. The dentist took an x-ray as part of the exam.

I have switched to another dentist because the first one would not do the non-merc fillings. The one we'll be seeing next week does not have the merc in his office at all. If I get the x-rays from the previous dentist I will save money and lesson the exposure from my son having another x-ray.

I'm having a headache of a time trying to get the records. Red tape, holding on the phone, different explainations, etc. I needed the records by the 18th as that's when the appt is with the new dentist. It's not looking like I'll have them. GRRRR!

Anyway, (sorry had to vent) if my son gets another x-ray how bad is the exposure going to be since he just had one two weeks ago? Would it be really horrible for him to have another?

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-18-2003, 08:08 PM

I don't think the exposure would be "all that bad", but the less the better, kwim?? It is a cumulative exposure that builds up over a lifetime; better to save your allotment/safe levels for when they are actually NEEDED! JMO.

I am also leary of xrays, and ALWAYS get the ones from the previous dentist (though they sometimes need to take others, depending on the time frames) But these are current xrays, and since YOU (or your insurance) paid for them, they are YOURS.
Demand them. Sometimes, they will not give them to you, but will only send them to the new dentist. If that is the case, give them the addy, tell them to send them on ASAP. AND give the new office THEIR number/sick them on them, LOL!

I also had this issue with a dentist once, who refused to do a non merc filling for my son (ignored my concerns/research, told me merc was perf. safe and besides, it couldn't be done w/o merc on the tooth in question) so I just found a non merc dentist who did it, no problem, and sent for the xrays; the first office was very reluctant (lost business, I suppose), but the new office did get them for us.

This time, just today, I called his old dentist THIS morning (I forgot all about it until last night!) and asked for copies by 10 am (his appointment was at 11). THey had them ready and waiting, no questions, no difficulties at all.

Oh, and they "are required to" keep the originals, supposedly, not sure if this is true or just their policy, but it is one I have encountered more than once. They WILL NOT give you the originals, only copies (and theat snotty office I spoke of above sent really poor copies, which we were barely able to use!)
I figure, hey, I BOUGHT them, they are MINE! JMO

ANyway, best of luck! Be firm and do not expose your child to an unnecessary radiation exposure if you can avoid it! If you can't, don't worry over it.

Kimberly, mom to Forest, 11 and Lily, 3
#3 of 4 Old 08-18-2003, 08:09 PM

OOps, just noticed that your appointment was today! (so was ours

Hope you got it worked out okay; sorry I was "late"

Kimberly

#4 of 4 Old 09-25-2003, 06:29 PM

well, i think there is no effidience to say that any kind of radiation is safe. Perhaps there is no prrof that radiation is safe at all. So, consider this and avoid any radiation possible.
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven1
I don't think the exposure would be "all that bad", but the less the better, kwim?? It is a cumulative exposure that builds up over a lifetime; better to save your allotment/safe levels for when they are actually NEEDED! JMO.

I am also leary of xrays, and ALWAYS get the ones from the previous dentist (though they sometimes need to take others, depending on the time frames) But these are current xrays, and since YOU (or your insurance) paid for them, they are YOURS.
Demand them. Sometimes, they will not give them to you, but will only send them to the new dentist. If that is the case, give them the addy, tell them to send them on ASAP. AND give the new office THEIR number/sick them on them, LOL!

I also had this issue with a dentist once, who refused to do a non merc filling for my son (ignored my concerns/research, told me merc was perf. safe and besides, it couldn't be done w/o merc on the tooth in question) so I just found a non merc dentist who did it, no problem, and sent for the xrays; the first office was very reluctant (lost business, I suppose), but the new office did get them for us.

This time, just today, I called his old dentist THIS morning (I forgot all about it until last night!) and asked for copies by 10 am (his appointment was at 11). THey had them ready and waiting, no questions, no difficulties at all.

Oh, and they "are required to" keep the originals, supposedly, not sure if this is true or just their policy, but it is one I have encountered more than once. They WILL NOT give you the originals, only copies (and theat snotty office I spoke of above sent really poor copies, which we were barely able to use!)
I figure, hey, I BOUGHT them, they are MINE! JMO

ANyway, best of luck! Be firm and do not expose your child to an unnecessary radiation exposure if you can avoid it! If you can't, don't worry over it.

Kimberly, mom to Forest, 11 and Lily, 3
[B]

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page