help me heal this sinus infection!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
So I don't have a regular doctor, nor the money for the co-pay but I'm pretty positive I have a raging sinus infection. Any way to heal it? I'm absolutely miserable. I've been doing probiotics and vitamin c for about 10 days without much success and I am in so much pain still.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There was just a study released on this showing antibiotics do not work any better than placebo for sinus infections anyway. If you can, get rest, plenty of fluids, treat the pain and inflammation if you are okay with taking aspirin or ibuprofen or willow bark if you're more comfortable with that, and just wait it out. I suffered from chronic sinusitis for years and simply stopped taking the antibiotics as I didn't feel they were helping, I know how badly it hurts.

If you seriously feel you would be helped by antibiotics, you can buy penicillin meant for aquariums at pet supply stores. My frugal SIL used this exclusively her whole life as her mother also had no money and 5 kids. I wouldn't personally recommend it, but some people do this without any ill effects.

Quote:
A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association looked at almost 250 people with sinus infections. In the study, the people with sinusitis were given antibiotics, steroids or a placebo. When it comes to symptoms lasting more than 10 days, it turns out neither antibiotics or steroids work any better than placebo. In all of the groups, about one-third of the patients got better.

So what is someone with sinusitis supposed to do?

"Time is our best tool in these cases. And so if we give it two weeks and the patient is not improving, then we should consider antibiotics," Dr. Itskowitz said. http://kdka.com/local/sinus.infectio....2.602685.html
Old 12-05-2007, 01:33 PM

I usually take Grapefruit Seed Extract. I bought it at Whole Foods and I take it 3x a day when I have a Sinus Infection. I did hear the recent news about Sinus infections and antibiotics but this has worked for me in the past.

Small warning~~~ this will probably be the grossest tasting stuff you ever put in your mouth.

Jennifer- mom to Nicholas (11), Ella (10), Andrew (8) and Anna Sophia (6)
Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 PM

Oh oh I know!!!!

There is a youtube video by Dr. Mercola where he talks about using regular hydrogen peroxide to heal sinus infections. You can google it but basically he just says to use it in both ears every few hours. Let it bubble a while and then let it all run out. That's it. Feel better!
Old 12-05-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnv View Post
I usually take Grapefruit Seed Extract. I bought it at Whole Foods and I take it 3x a day when I have a Sinus Infection. I did hear the recent news about Sinus infections and antibiotics but this has worked for me in the past.

Small warning~~~ this will probably be the grossest tasting stuff you ever put in your mouth.
I remember taking it for recurrent thrush when we were nursing(dd weaned about a year ago). Do you just do the 10-15drops 3x a day orally in water or juice(I found that cranberry juice full strength nearly masked it though full strength cranberry juice is a bit rough)? But you are totally right, that stuff is BEYOND foul! SOOOOOO bitter!

I'm really trying to avoid antibiotics anyway but as I'm 30 weeks pregnant I'm miserable and I have to wait tables 4 days a week. So with the pregnancy, working 4 days a week, and 2 small children it's very difficult to rest up.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 12-05-2007, 08:39 PM

Using a neti pot will heal your sinus infection really fast. If you don't have one or can't get one locally you can imitate the effect by filling a nasal spray bottle or even a regular spray bottle with warm salt water, spraying it in your nose, and letting it run out. It needs to be warm; cool salt water could cause more stuffiness. My husband got rid of his last sinus infection this way. It worked so well that we got a real neti pot!

It just occurred to me that the spray bottle might be narrow enough that you could use it like a neti pot if you took the nozzle off.

Here's a link that describes neti use:
http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service.../sinusitis.htm

You can add GSE to the water for more effect, if you want.

Hope you feel better soon...

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 PM

I use a neti pot daily but I've never had any luck with it helping a sinus infection. Although, Michael's makes a goldenseal neti wash now.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:49 AM

last sinus infection i had i did end up at the docs because the pain was unbearable. the side of my face was so tender. she prescribed antibiotics and i waited to fill them. i went to the chiro for an adjustment. took lots of garlic and vit c. can't remember how much garlic but probably 5,000+ mill of vit c a day. after a few days i slowed up the vit c and garlic and you know it went away! i threw the scrip away!
Old 12-09-2007, 06:18 PM

Yes, a neti-pot may make all the difference. Use warm water, and be persistent but gentle. It's a really good habit to get into.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:56 AM

netti pot!!! and then after you clear out any obstructions, snort a TINY bit of oil of oregano....it will burn like hell on Earth, BUT it will kill whatever it is that is ailing you....My FIL had serious sinus issues for years. Then he started with oil of oregano snorted really deep into your nose, and he hasn't had an issue yet.

I use a netti pot regularly and I think the water + salt combination really cleans it out and keeps it moist and healthy.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:14 AM

Another vote for the neti pot! Feel better soon mama.

User Tag List