alternative remedies for bronchitis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2002, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out that my ds has bronchitis. The DR. wants to pump him full of antibiotics and something called albuterol. Are there any alternative treatments? What causes it? How can it be avoided in the future?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2002, 10:44 PM

Have you lloked into homeopathy. we have used it several tiemes and worked well until now. My dd has a bad upper respitory infection and homeopahty and vit c doesnt seem to be doing a darn thing we have been batteling this now for 1 week uggg. spmetimes it is a real hard call and the albuteral is a steroid my older dd took it for yrs for asthma before i knew better
Old 03-14-2002, 10:53 PM

The vast majority of bronchitis is from a viral infection which means that antibiotics will not work. However, in the case of secondary bacterial infection an antibiotic can be useful in killing of the bacterial source of infection.

As for albuterol, it is called a beta-agonist and is used to dilate the airway to help the passage of air when their is obstruction (in this case due to increased mucous). Albuterol is not a steriod. Steroid sprays such as Flovent are used to decrease inflammation.

In my own personal experience with bronchitis in my little girl, I have used a humidifier, lots and lots of fluids, tylenol/advil as a fever reducer, and a whole bunch of watchful waiting.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:11 AM

I know Supakitty just said this too, but Albuterol is NOT as steroid! I use it daily for my asthma, and my 3 yr old dd uses it in her nebulizer as needed for her asthma and occasional bronchitis. If your doctor recommended it, I would seriously consider giving it to your ds, because it will immediatly help him to breathe.
Old 03-16-2002, 01:16 PM

My mistake i meant to say that my dd was on albuteral alog with a steroid. I am sorry for the misinformation
Old 04-14-2002, 09:00 PM

i've had better results using mullein tea for asthma and bronchitis than i've had with the inhalors a doctor prescriped.
also a turmeric/khella compound from herb pharm

but that's just for me, and i haven't looked up how those herbs are for children yet.

User Tag List