can a stomach virus last this long? sweet smelling poop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh, i so wish this could be a stomach bug and not some serious digestive issue. we are already worried DD might have celiac, and now DS...

he's had normal poops all his life. 2 weeks ago he had diarhea, just dark brown liquid pouring out of him. this lasted for 3-4 days. then his poops turned yellow / pale and not very digested. he goes often, sometimes just with peeing a small turd will come out. sometimes he has bigger bms as well.

is it possible his stomach is still working on the previous problem, or this looks like something else going on? he is happy and active otherwise.
#2 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 PM

I would have him checked. There are some "bugs" that would require treatment. Esp. if they are watery, and turning pale, he might not be absorbing nutrients. Giardia comes to mind, because we just went through it with some pups.

Call and ask your ped.
#3 of 16 Old 12-10-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallori View Post
I would have him checked. There are some "bugs" that would require treatment. Esp. if they are watery, and turning pale, he might not be absorbing nutrients. Giardia comes to mind, because we just went through it with some pups.

Call and ask your ped.
thanks! how would they check for it? i hate our dr's office, they are just terrible. hate hate hate going there...

anyone knows what would be other signs of malabsorbtion?
#4 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

his poop also smells kind off newborn / breastfed like. very mild odour, and almost sweet. anyone knows what this means?
#5 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 03:49 PM

Not sure what a sweet smell means but all poops begin to smell funny after diarhea just because they come thru the tract so quickly and don't have time to form and are mostly gastric secretions.

Rotavirus has a very distinct odor to it and can last for weeks. Usually accompanied by a fever and later a spotty red rash comes on. I'd see a doctor cuz the little ones get dehydrated so very quickly...
#6 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddie View Post
Not sure what a sweet smell means but all poops begin to smell funny after diarhea just because they come thru the tract so quickly and don't have time to form and are mostly gastric secretions.

Rotavirus has a very distinct odor to it and can last for weeks. Usually accompanied by a fever and later a spotty red rash comes on. I'd see a doctor cuz the little ones get dehydrated so very quickly...
he drinks a lot and now it is not diarhea either. so i'm sure he is well hydrated. he never had a fever, though. i never had diarhea. why our poop smells funny? (i never talked that much about poop on line)
#7 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 04:56 PM

have a stool sample taken for testing for bacteria and parasites if it lasts. they should be able to fax the order in the lab you use. should be a 3 sample test. cut up a plastic bag and put under toliet seat leaving a space in front if he uses the potty then otherwise easy peasy!
good luck!

brooke
#8 of 16 Old 12-11-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookescott88 View Post
have a stool sample taken for testing for bacteria and parasites if it lasts. they should be able to fax the order in the lab you use. should be a 3 sample test. cut up a plastic bag and put under toliet seat leaving a space in front if he uses the potty then otherwise easy peasy!
good luck!

brooke
oh, great idea with the plastic bag!!! thanks!
#9 of 16 Old 12-12-2007, 02:06 AM

my baby is celiac and this sounds like him. i'd have him checked. if he doesn't have a fever and you all haven't had anything and he is BFed it probably isn't a stomach bug. check him out for it or just go gf/cf or on the Specific Carb Diet http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info to see if his condition improves.
#10 of 16 Old 12-12-2007, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
my baby is celiac and this sounds like him. i'd have him checked. if he doesn't have a fever and you all haven't had anything and he is BFed it probably isn't a stomach bug. check him out for it or just go gf/cf or on the Specific Carb Diet http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info to see if his condition improves.
thanks.

could it have such a sudden onset? he is breastfed, technically, but i don't think i have any milk now as i'm pregnant. he says he just sucks, he doesn't get anything out . and he is 3 years old, so he eats plenty of other foods. thanks for the link, i will look into it. we were suspecting celiac in DD, but she has anxiety about blood tests and we decided to wait for several weeks while talking to her about it, so she is more in control of the situation. her symptoms are very mild if at all, so especially if she does have celiac we want her to have the most positive experience possible now. she is almost ready for the test, so i think we will do it in a week or so.
#11 of 16 Old 12-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymaximus View Post
thanks.

could it have such a sudden onset? he is breastfed, technically, but i don't think i have any milk now as i'm pregnant. he says he just sucks, he doesn't get anything out . and he is 3 years old, so he eats plenty of other foods. thanks for the link, i will look into it. we were suspecting celiac in DD, but she has anxiety about blood tests and we decided to wait for several weeks while talking to her about it, so she is more in control of the situation. her symptoms are very mild if at all, so especially if she does have celiac we want her to have the most positive experience possible now. she is almost ready for the test, so i think we will do it in a week or so.
it can have suden onset. my son always had symptoms as i was eating contaminated food for months without knowing. also with time symptoms can change due to various factors like the progression of intestinal damage. Celiac is genetic so is suspected in one child it is likely to occur in your others. i have to warn that the tests are not wonderfully accurate, so if you get a negative but symptoms persist youay consider just doing the diet.
#12 of 16 Old 12-12-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
it can have suden onset. my son always had symptoms as i was eating contaminated food for months without knowing. also with time symptoms can change due to various factors like the progression of intestinal damage. Celiac is genetic so is suspected in one child it is likely to occur in your others. i have to warn that the tests are not wonderfully accurate, so if you get a negative but symptoms persist youay consider just doing the diet.
thanks. even the blood test isn't accurate?

can you just ask your dr for the test? when i took DD in, they kind of said that she doesn't have any symptoms other than soft stools, and told that with normal growth pattern soft stools and an occasional tummy ache are normal. (when i went to see them she complained about tummy aches more often, but now it has stopped). so they weren't keen on doing the test on half a symptom. but of course i read that it can be asymptomatic as well. we are in canada, so it is not like i can pay and get a test. they don't want to test when they think it isn't a possibility.

it seems that any digestive symptom can be a symptom of celiac, so it makes me unsure as well. i mean there must be variations of normal too. what DS is going through now is NOT normal, but DD's soft stools--i don't know. everyone here say this means celiac or some other disorder, but on the other hand, what do we know about "normal" stools? sorry, i digress. if it wasn't an issue for DD to just to a blood test, i would just convince them to do it somehow and just go with it. but as this is such an anxiety provoking event for her and the anxiety has grown out of proportion, i want to be reaosonably sure myself that we are not drawing blood for nothing either. it is hard wiht only mild symptoms, if at all...
#13 of 16 Old 12-12-2007, 04:46 PM

well that is a big thing...but even docs in the US are hesitant to test without alot of classic symptoms. a problem is that the intestinal biopsy is said to be the definitive test and it is not fun and not very telling. most of the time blood tests come first, if positive then biopsy, if positive then the diet. the intestinal damage in celiac looks alot like that of other intestinal disorders...the villi flattening that is. i personally think many of us, celiac or not, should be off of unsprouted grains. in any case, like i said, if you can't get the proper tests or there ae persistent issues do the diet. my DS, though showing classic, full blown celiac, has grown and developed normally despite his bowel problems. i'd say go by your instincts and your best judgement. docs seem to confine their thinking to check-lists alot and tend to dismiss what they have no experience with while we look things up alot.

As an afterthought, once you have the new baby and your milk comes in, you may want to consider pumping a bit everyday for your son to drink. BM is a wonderful anti-inflammatory and may help quell his tummy issues. my friend refuses to get her 3yo daughter tested for anything but the girl has TERRIBLE stomach issues and does not sleep. My friend knows she needs to alter diet but will not so the girl still nurses to make her stomach feel better. Sad but if it works in thier case, which is severe, it will probably help your child.
#14 of 16 Old 12-12-2007, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
well that is a big thing...but even docs in the US are hesitant to test without alot of classic symptoms. a problem is that the intestinal biopsy is said to be the definitive test and it is not fun and not very telling. most of the time blood tests come first, if positive then biopsy, if positive then the diet. the intestinal damage in celiac looks alot like that of other intestinal disorders...the villi flattening that is. i personally think many of us, celiac or not, should be off of unsprouted grains. in any case, like i said, if you can't get the proper tests or there ae persistent issues do the diet. my DS, though showing classic, full blown celiac, has grown and developed normally despite his bowel problems. i'd say go by your instincts and your best judgement. docs seem to confine their thinking to check-lists alot and tend to dismiss what they have no experience with while we look things up alot.

As an afterthought, once you have the new baby and your milk comes in, you may want to consider pumping a bit everyday for your son to drink. BM is a wonderful anti-inflammatory and may help quell his tummy issues. my friend refuses to get her 3yo daughter tested for anything but the girl has TERRIBLE stomach issues and does not sleep. My friend knows she needs to alter diet but will not so the girl still nurses to make her stomach feel better. Sad but if it works in thier case, which is severe, it will probably help your child.
we are thinking to go GF, but i realised i need to do the tests first--it has been explained to me that there is a difference between gluten intolerance and celiac. with gluten intolerance, DC can later choose to indulge in some gluten and suffer the unpleasant consequences, with no detriment to their general long term health. but with true celiac any amount of gluten is truly damaging.

i hope DS will still be nursing when the new one is born! when DS was born DD was nursing, and it did wonders to their bonding.

i think it is emotionally easier to go through testing when the issues are moderate to severe. with the mild ones, i'm still unsure what my gut feeling tells me, kwim?

we will see in the next few weeks. thanks for "talking" to me about it.
#15 of 16 Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 PM

Is he eating any dairy?

There are some stomach viruses that cause an intolerance to dairy that lasts 5-6 weeks. DD had it and it caused the sweeter-smelling, pasty poops that you are talking about.
#16 of 16 Old 12-12-2007, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
Is he eating any dairy?

There are some stomach viruses that cause an intolerance to dairy that lasts 5-6 weeks. DD had it and it caused the sweeter-smelling, pasty poops that you are talking about.
thanks for the info! he is drinking lots of milk. has always hated yougurt. do you think to eliminate dairy or wait it out? he isn't suffering, but loves milk, so that would be difficult for him. the poops also look a bit undigested, like a corn poop would look, but he isn't eating any corn now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page