Gastroparesis - any natural remedies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have pretty severe gastroparesis. I had my gallbladder out after 2 years of attacks in October 2004. My digestive problems pretty much cleared up at that point but then when I had my 3rd child in January 2006 I got sick right away and kept getting worse and worse. They couldn't figure out what was wrong and finally diagnosed severe gastroparesis in April 2006 (they think that 4 abdominal surgeries in 5 years damaged the stomach muscles. I had 3 c-section and one gallbladder removal...and no the c-sections were not by choice). So now I am suffering on a daily basis. I eat stuff I know I shouldn't and then I get soooooo sick when it sits in my stomach for ages and ferments....well you can imagine the results. And unfortunately I can't throw up. I have actually tried sticking my finger down my throat to make myself throw the food up but my stomach muscles are so weak that I can't throw up anymore. So I am wondering if there are any natural remedies I can try? I know probiotics - to help combat the bad bacteria from the fermenting food but I keep forgetting to take them. I will try and remember to do that. Any other suggestions? I am in the midst of a very bad attack right now and I want to try and gain some control over this condition because I will have it for the rest of my life and right now it is controlling my life (I am sick soooo much). Any help is appreciated.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 12-10-2007, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This isn't natural, but http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/gener...hysicians.html domperidone is supposed to be more helpful than Reglan, sometimes resulting in a complete reversal of symptoms. This site is in New Zealand and apparently you can order it directly without having to get a prescription (I think its not available in the states anyway).

Acupuncture and chinese herbs have been reported in some studies to have more successful outcomes for decreased stomach motility than traditional Western medication. Unfortunately I couldn't find a link that wasn't supported by Chinese herbal advertising, but having done acupuncture/taken herbs myself, I strongly encourage you to check it out if you can.

This remedy is probably worse than the disease: Smoking. Or nicotine use. Nicotine increases gastric motility, as it is an acetylcholine imitator.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page