The cough that won't quit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2007, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 2.5 and caught a cold Halloween night. It was your nasty run of the mill cold with a slight fever, cough, runny nose. After a week or so it began to clear up and she felt much better. The cough continued but it was not that bad; she would mostly just cough right before going to bed or when waking in the morning. I didn't worry since she had no fever, was not acting sick, was eating well, etc.

So, fast forward to last week when the cough finally started to subside for good. Great, finally! But then in a couple of days it started up again, and today it started to sound deeper and harder. She is still acting very healthy with no fever and has a great appetite. Runs and plays, no problem. She went to bed tonight okay..coughed a few times and then fell asleep. We don't hear any wheezing or stridor...at least we don't think so!

So I am wondering do I call the doc or not? I don't want to ignore a problem but on the other hand, since she has no fever and isn't acting sick, what is the liklihood that this would be bronchitus or something worse?

I prob. will call in the a.m. just b/c I am such a worrywart, but in the meantime if anyone has any advice...please chime in!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM

It probably doesn't help but I posted almost the same thing about my DS who is almost 2. There seems to be something going around at least in our area cuz I met another mom that took her son to the doc for a cough that won't quit
Old 12-12-2007, 02:17 PM

I think there's something going around. I had the cough for about 12 weeks. One of my sons (the 3yo got it too and his lasted about as long). It's the neverending cough...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 PM

dd and I both have this. It's been about a month for both of us, off and on. She's gotten rid of hers only to get it back a few days later.

Right now she is running a slight fever though so I'm hoping that her body is finally starting to fight off whatever it is. She's only coughing in the morning and night though, with a runny congested nose so I haven't called the doctor, just upping the vit. c.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Jes

We've been dealing with the same thing since Thanksgiving. It has been better this week, but it's never ending. The minute I think, "Wow, no one has coughed for a few hours," someone goes on a coughing spree.

We've been upping the vit c, and drinking lots of fluids.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowbird View Post
So, fast forwa

I prob. will call in the a.m. just b/c I am such a worrywart, but in the meantime if anyone has any advice...please chime in!

Thanks!
Seems like she could have had pertussis which usually starts with a cold which dissipates then continues with a lingering cough (it's nickname is the "100 day cough"). Often times there is no sign a child is ill unless they are coughing. It takes a long time for the cilia to grow back afterwards so any cough soon after is likely to be bad. Pertussis cases can be very mild all the way to severe. My ds had a mild case; he coughed primarily at night. My case was severe (and I was pregnant ); I could cough for more than a minute, couldn't breathe, to the point of vomiting -- good stuff.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 12-12-2007, 05:33 PM

Our family, too!! My husband got the cold Thanksgiving day, and is still coughing, especially at night. My 2 year old Carl has been coughing for about 16 days, and I have only had the cold for 5 days, but I am such a baby about it! I want to be better, NOW!!! Most of our coughing is at night, and yucky coughs in the morning for a little while. I got a prescription for antibiotics for Carl today, but the ped. agreed with me that I don't have to use it if he doesn't get any worse. I really, really wanted to avoid abx. this winter, but this illness in my house is wearing me down!! We are doing humidifiers, lots of fruit, vit. C and zinc for me, and lots of fluids. Good luck everyone!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:13 AM

I came here looking for similar advice...my DD has been coughing since the weather turned cold. we did all have a touch of a cold sometime around halloween.
her cough sounds awful, but there's no phlegm involved and other than the occasional runny nose, she has no other symptoms.
it seemed to be better and then last night she was coughing all night.
i'm interested in the pertussis theory...should i do anything for that?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:32 AM

Just thought I'd add that my life had practically been reformed by a homeopathic cough syrup. It is made by Borion and is called Chestal Honey. It does have honey in it so most wouldn't give it to a small child/infant. But man does that stuff work great. I've recommended it to two friends and they both called me raving about it.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikaa View Post
Sodium Ascorbate Powder to bowel tolerance.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 12-15-2007, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Wow, thanks for all the responses. It sure does sound like something is going around.

I did end up taking DD to the dr. on Wed. His feeling is that she has had two separate viruses--the first caught on Halloween and just as it cleared up she caught this second one with a different-sounding cough. She checked out just fine during his exam with no fever, ear or throat infection and her lungs sounded great. He said they are seeing this "croup type of cough" which isn't always croup, or at least hasn't needed the usual breathing treatments, but has a similar sound.

We have the humidifier going all night in her room and I'm giving her EmergenC too.

Hope everyone else's child gets better soon. DD is still eating well, and the cough is mostly at night. She is acting fine, so hopefully this will pass soon!
Old 12-15-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikaa View Post
Apparently the pertussis bacteria is way more common than you'd think, and causes many episodes of sickness that aren't deemed officially "pertussis".

Sodium ascorbate will only work to kill off bacteria in early stages of the disease. If you have damage to the little hairs in the lungs already from it, SA won't help.

The constant cough is b/c pertussis shears off the hairs that normally sweep mucus out of the lungs. Until they grow back, you have to cough to expel the mucus. Doesn't mean you are still fighting the bacteria months later.

If fever present, high vitamin C and vitamin A are necessary however b/c then you know the body is under attack and fighting something off.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:30 PM

Just commenting because we all have a cough, right now, too. I'm surprised to see so many people with this. I started the day before thanksgiving and am still coughing. About a week ago, I think I caught a cold on top of it, and am now all congested and nasty. That is just starting to subside (today), but the cough is still there. It's a productive cough. DH is the same way, but just the cough. DS got it, too, but he has recovered faster and is only coughing maybe twice a day now.

I even went to the doctor Thursday because I wanted to make sure my lungs were clear. They are. So I am just taking CLO for vit A and lots of Sodium Ascorbate for the C. Oh, and lots of steam (showers, hot teas, etc.) and honey when I can tolerate it - too sweet.

What a strange virus, something I've never had before, and I am the queen of colds for sure.

Healing vibes to us all...

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
Old 12-16-2007, 01:25 AM

I heard that 2 teaspoons of buckwheat honey soothes coughs-just don't give it to a child under 1. There is also something in the honey that actually helps the cough go away.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 PM

My ds has got the same here. Just when it seems to be winding down a new cold will bring it back. It seems to be on its way out again. I'm hoping we can get him well during the two weeks away from daycare over the holidays. I've been trying to keep the dairy, wheat and sugar intake low. I think I may try emergenC if he's will to try it.

User Tag List