Hylands recall - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 12-15-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have Hylands Teething Tablets been recalled???

DS (03/10) &  DD (06/07) both were/are : waterbirth.jpg homebirth.jpg winner.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 12-15-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beating Earth View Post
Have Hylands Teething Tablets been recalled???
There's nothing on their site indicating any recall. Why do you think they have been?

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 33 Old 12-15-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

I cant remember who it was on the June mamas thread but she had mentioned that she thought they had been recalled. I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard anything because I hadnt and I just bought some for DD.
I was hoping that maybe I could make the other June mamas feel better by telling them for sure either way too

DS (03/10) &  DD (06/07) both were/are : waterbirth.jpg homebirth.jpg winner.jpg

#4 of 33 Old 12-15-2007, 10:22 PM

They are such a reputable company, I'd imagine had there been a recall, it would be VERY visible on their site. But I didn't see anything there at all. Maybe try contacting them directly and ask?

Here's their contact info:

General Information and Catalog Requests:
by Email: [email protected]
by telephone: Toll Free 1-800-624-9659
8:00 am - 5:00 pm (Pacific Time). Monday - Friday.
For more technical information:
Hyland's provides a product information service that is staffed by either a Pharmacist or Registered Nurse. Hyland's staff will not prescribe or offer medical advice, but will be happy to answer questions regarding our products. The hours this service is staffed are as follows:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 9:00 am - 11:00 am (pacific)
Tuesday & Thursday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
1-800-624-9659

#5 of 33 Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it

#6 of 33 Old 12-15-2007, 10:38 PM

There was something posted on thebabywearer, I think, about belladonna poisoning from the teething tabs. Sounds snopesish.
#7 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGS View Post
There was something posted on thebabywearer, I think, about belladonna poisoning from the teething tabs. Sounds snopesish.

Poisening in a clinical sense from teething tablets?? Most regular docs will deny that homeopathy even works. Interesting. So is Boiron recalling all Belladonna??
#8 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i am pretty sure this is a hoax, although there is nothing on snopes right now.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#9 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 12:58 AM

The amount of belladonna used in these remedies is NOT life-threatening at all. The teething tablets remedy contains 0.0000003% Alkaloids of belladonna. Your child could eat the whole bottle and chances are, have zero side effects. (Of course I'm not recommending anyone feed an entire bottle to their child just to see, but you get my drift.

It sounds like uninformed alarmism to me. Homeopathic remedies are among the safest forms of medication. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Matter of fact, I just gave my toddler some Hylands a few minutes ago, as she's teething and having trouble sleeping.

#10 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 01:13 AM

I agree with the AP. my toddler found a bottle I accidentally left down one day and ate an ENTIRE bottle while I was using the bathroom. (can you tell we don't allow candy in our home? ) I called the poison control center and they explained there was no chance of an OD. Sounds to me someone found out what the ingredients are but has no real understanding of how homeopathy works and went crazy on the ingredients alone.....
Definitly let us know what you hear!
#11 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
The amount of belladonna used in these remedies is NOT life-threatening at all. The teething tablets remedy contains 0.0000003% Alkaloids of belladonna. Your child could eat the whole bottle and chances are, have zero side effects. (Of course I'm not recommending anyone feed an entire bottle to their child just to see, but you get my drift.

It sounds like uninformed alarmism to me. Homeopathic remedies are among the safest forms of medication. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Matter of fact, I just gave my toddler some Hylands a few minutes ago, as she's teething and having trouble sleeping.
This is precisely why homeopathy doesn't work. There are skeptics who eat entire bottles of "sleeping pills" on-stage (and stay wide awake ) to prove it is basically a bottle of inert ingredients. Of course, it is pretty crazy to think that one bazillion part CAFFEINE could put you to SLEEP anyway. The whole premise of using an ingredient that gives you the OPPOSITE effect of what you want and diluted so much it is comparable to a grain of sand in an ocean (or worse) is pretty... insane. I wouldn't give my baby homeopathic remedies because 1) They don't work and 2) Inert ingredients could still conceivably be contaminated in processing plants.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#12 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemum21580;
I agree with the AP. my toddler found a bottle I accidentally left down one day and ate an ENTIRE bottle while I was using the bathroom. (can you tell we don't allow candy in our home? ) I called the poison control center and they explained there was no chance of an OD. Sounds to me someone found out what the ingredients are but has no real understanding of how homeopathy works and went crazy on the ingredients alone.....
Definitly let us know what you hear!
If you can eat a whole bottle of a homeopathic remedy (say sleeping pills) and it not put you in a coma, how could one pill help you sleep?

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#13 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 07:26 AM

The chamomile homeopathy tablets we were given for DS seemed to work very well. I don't even really "believe" in homeopathy, either. Maybe it was coincidence?
#14 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
This is precisely why homeopathy doesn't work. There are skeptics who eat entire bottles of "sleeping pills" on-stage (and stay wide awake ) to prove it is basically a bottle of inert ingredients. Of course, it is pretty crazy to think that one bazillion part CAFFEINE could put you to SLEEP anyway. The whole premise of using an ingredient that gives you the OPPOSITE effect of what you want and diluted so much it is comparable to a grain of sand in an ocean (or worse) is pretty... insane. I wouldn't give my baby homeopathic remedies because 1) They don't work and 2) Inert ingredients could still conceivably be contaminated in processing plants.
Homeopathic remedies have always worked VERY WELL on my children, and on me - when we use the correct remedy. Otherwise no, it doesn't work.

Quote:
If you can eat a whole bottle of a homeopathic remedy (say sleeping pills) and it not put you in a coma, how could one pill help you sleep?
There are not homeopathic "sleeping pills". There are remedies which can help you to get to sleep but it is not the same principal as a sleeping pill.
#15 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 07:45 AM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Quote:
It has to be the right prescription for the person/animal/plant else nothing happens. Making the right prescription is trickier than it seems. One has to move beyond the pharmaceutical mindset of the same medicine for everyone, having the same effect on everyone. Most of the remedies for lay people (like Hyland's Teething Tablets) are combos (2-6 remedies) and only one of those is actually working. the others do nothing. The combos, while not classical prescribing, do take the guesswork out for tired parents.

Back on topic: Homeopath here, in case you hadn't guessed. I have not heard anything or received any bulletins about a Hyland's recall.
#16 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 08:55 AM

Hm, I wouldn't think so. Hopefully someone can get an update on where this even started.
#17 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 PM

I'm a big believer in homeopathy -- and in the body's ability to heal itself.

Just because someone may not understand how something works or it may not work for you doesn't mean it never works for anyone else.

I find that type of attitude very limiting. We've used homeopathic remedies for ourselves, our baby, and our animals even, most of the time with great success. It does take some doing to find the right remedy at times, but it certainly doesn't warrant utter dismissal just because it may not have worked for you in the past, or you aren't willing to concede it can work for other people.

#18 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 01:16 PM

Maybe you were thinking of this?...

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/mom09_07.html

There was a recall of Baby Bliss gripe water back in September.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#19 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I honestly didn't know if I believed in it either, I had heard the studies negating the effects. However, I had a cold a few weeks ago and the Hylands Sniffles and Sneezes was at our house because the kids had colds as well and I give them homeopathics first always because they are much safer than the alternative, and, well, I'm an optomistic type of person. Anyway, point is, that it worked wonderfully. I also used arnica for a strained back a week ago and it worked fast as well. It is subtle, unlike *regular* medications. I have found that you take a homeopathic and you think nothing is happening and then you realize a little bit later that you don't have pain, or that your sinuses aren't stuffy.
#20 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 02:25 PM

Moving to health and healing, as this is more a discussion of homeopathy than life with a babe.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#21 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 02:28 PM

Also, please note that, as per the User Agreement,
Quote:
Mothering.com is the website of natural family living and advocates natural solutions to parenting challenges. We host discussion of nighttime parenting, loving discipline, natural birth, homebirth, successful breastfeeding, alternative and complementary home remedies, informed consent, and many other topics from a natural point of view.
So, while we open discussion of the efficacy of various remedies, including homeopathy, we need to be respectful in our conversation and not dismissive.

Thanks!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#22 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 02:33 PM

I wholeheartedly believe...if that's the right word to use...in homeopathy. I think the "on stage sleeping pill" thing is just silly. It just proves the person is ignorant to what and how homeopathy works.

Anywho, there has always been hub-bub about the belladonna in teething tablets, but there is nothing to worry about there. It is the actual energy of the belladonna plant anyway.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#23 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Hey, you don't have to be a homeopathy fan, you know. But I am surprised at the absolutism here. That kind of "that doesn't work" kind of reminds me of docs and vaccination convinced docs and parents that say that vaxes don't carry aaaaany side effects whatsever. That damage from vaccines is not possible- the same kind of absolutism.

So, while you don't have to "believe" in homeopathy it would be fair to not outright say it doesn't work- because for a lot of people and animals it works...I "believe" in my faith you know- but with homeopathy I don't have to "believe" since I actually can see it work in front of my eyes, big difference. The proof is sleeping upstairs.

That sleeping pill experiment is rather useless, as are most combination medicines by Hylands which just combines a bunch of remedies in the hopes one would work. Unfortunately that includes a usually a bunch of things that might make a patient "prove" symptoms. It's a wrong assumption that the ingredients in combos, unless they work as intended, are harmless or do nothing at all. For that reason I can't give my son Hyland's teething tables since they contain chamomilla- which in turn makes him go absolutely wild and "makes" him a chamomilla patient. I have to turn to something else...
So yes, homeopathy works, although in that case differently than hoped for.

Saying homeopathy does not work at all is just plain unrealistic. Not everyone responds, granted, but I was hoping that at least on MDC is would be possible to abstain from absolutism that I could meet everyday in most pediatrician's offices.

To me it sounds more likely that some anti-homeopathy person is waging a smear campaign. After looking around on the internet there are plenty (mostly from the rather conservative allopathic medical field) of "warriors" that somehow seem to have a rather personal beef with homeopathy.

And after all, if homeopathy does not work because "diluting an aspirin in an ocean", than how can belladonna in an homeopathic dosage even cause trouble?
Sure, anything can become contaminated, but contamination is a different story than specific belladonna poisening.
#24 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 04:00 PM

:

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#25 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 04:15 PM

Homeopathy works. I've used it in my animals for years, with EXCELLENT results.

I recommend Homeopathy: Beyond Flat Earth Medicine, for those who wish to know more about it.
#26 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 PM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
I guess I should point out that there can be a bit of the material substance left in a 6x potency. It's very small, but if you have young children in the house it's best to keep 6C or above, or keep the 6x out of reach and be careful with it.
#27 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Homeopathy saved my cat's life.. The conventional vet was running test after test, ultrasounds, costing us hundreds of dollars. Meanwhile my cat is getting sicker and sicker, and the vet pretty much had NO idea how to treat her, other than give her fluids to combat dehydration. She would lay in one place.. completely unresponsive. You'd have to look closely at her to see that she was breathing. Every couple hours one of us would "go see if Athena's still alive" The next thing the vet wanted to do was open her up and take a peek around looking for.. anything. We contacted a holistic vet. She prescribed 2 homeopathics and some flower essences drops. And her fee, medicine included, was 1/10th of the vet's fee. Kitty perked up after her first dose.. was walking around. By day 3, she was eating on her own. Full recovery from her death bed. (And this is just a little baby cat, two. Not even 2 years old)

Yeah, I'm a homeopathic believer

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#28 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Homeopathy saved my cat's life.. The conventional vet was running test after test, ultrasounds, costing us hundreds of dollars. Meanwhile my cat is getting sicker and sicker, and the vet pretty much had NO idea how to treat her, other than give her fluids to combat dehydration. She would lay in one place.. completely unresponsive. You'd have to look closely at her to see that she was breathing. Every couple hours one of us would "go see if Athena's still alive" The next thing the vet wanted to do was open her up and take a peek around looking for.. anything. We contacted a holistic vet. She prescribed 2 homeopathics and some flower essences drops. And her fee, medicine included, was 1/10th of the vet's fee. Kitty perked up after her first dose.. was walking around. By day 3, she was eating on her own. Full recovery from her death bed. (And this is just a little baby cat, two. Not even 2 years old)

Yeah, I'm a homeopathic believer
Great story. My dog was dumping protein in her urine in massive quantities. The vet said she had PLN (protein losing nephropathy), which is fatal, and didn't know how many months she might have left. We are talking MASSIVE quantities of protein. Put it this way: a protein/creatinine reading should be less than 1. Like zero. If your protein/creatine ratio is 1, it indicates a problem, 2 would indicate a major problem, and 3 a very bad problem. Hers was 10.6. Yes, 10.6.

The vets didn't know what to do except hope Enalapril worked. I went to a holistic vet who prescribed carcinomen. Three doses and her next urine workup had her at a .3 protein/creatinine ration. The vets were stunned.....saying, "uhhhh, your dog's cured? Did you give us another dog's sample?" They were speechless.

That's not the only example I have. The thing is, if your buying stuff at the store and it's not working, then I'm not too surprised. Our holistic vet often goes through many remedies before we hit on one.

Oh, at the time she was 2.5 years old. She just turned seven.
#29 of 33 Old 12-16-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avent View Post
I guess I should point out that there can be a bit of the material substance left in a 6x potency. It's very small, but if you have young children in the house it's best to keep 6C or above, or keep the 6x out of reach and be careful with it.
I was just going to post this.

My toddler is ANA to several foods. While I have an epi pen I don't need to carry it. At the first sign of a reaction (swelling face, hives) he gets his remedy. I give it acutely and it has worked without exception every time. Worked as in halted the reaction and within three hours you'd never known he had it. It is a 1M potency and there is NOTHING left in that sucker. It is not a placebo effect-a one year old has no idea what the remedy is or what it's supposed to do.

If you don't like it, fine. If you don't believe in it, whatever. To say it doesn't work, as has already been pointed out is just silly.
#30 of 33 Old 12-24-2007, 02:14 AM

I'm a firm believer in homeopathy, too. It plain makes sense to me and I think humans have been practicing it in some form or another for millenia. MY wishlist for Christmas was homeopathic remedies.
Speaking of animals, my dog has serious issues with thunderstorms, fireworks and other loud noises. She works herself into a frenzy. Over the years we have tried several methods and the only thing that came close to working was acepromazine, which I'm not a big fan of. We used it a few times and it would make her sleepy but she was still hearing things. She was too sleepy to react, but emotionally she was still scared. She also has an enlarged heart and is a survivor (it's her one year aniversary!!!!) of osteosarcoma, so I don't want to put any chemicals into her if I don't have to. After a bit of reading, I decided to use Phosphorous on her and it works wonders!! She's not sedate, just calm and relaxed. That was a lifesaver this summer.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page