Anyone Doing OIL PULLING? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just staretd Oil Pulling and would love to know if anyone else practices this as well. I found out about it on this awesome site and just started a few days ago.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

Anyone else? I'd love to hear about your experiences, and I'll keep you posted on mine as the days pass! Thanks!
#2 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Yes. I have been oil pulling for 10 months now.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 06:08 PM

If you can't use sesame or sunflower oils due to allergies, would olive oil work?
#4 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoptChina View Post
If you can't use sesame or sunflower oils due to allergies, would olive oil work?
Yes, I think it would.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 06:23 PM

Wow! I have heard about using oil to cleanse your mouth, but not oil pulling per se. I'd love to learn more from people who practice it. My dh and I are ready to try it. Should be safe during pregnancy right because you spit out the toxins and they don't run through your body?
#6 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
Yes. I have been oil pulling for 10 months now.
Would you care to share anymore about how it has worked for you?
#7 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
Yes, I think it would.
People do pull with olive oil. The question is which is more effective. If you check out Earthclinic.com you can read testimonials of people who use all sorts of different oils. I started using Sesame since a lot of people said it was most effective for them. Obviously if you can't use it due to an allergy, then you can't. I think pulling with a less effective oil is better than not pulling at all. Check out the site! Good luck!
#8 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpincholla View Post
Should be safe during pregnancy right because you spit out the toxins and they don't run through your body?
I am no expert. But, I remember reading a question posted on Earthlinks about pulling while BFing. I don't remember the details but he implied that it would be safe. You should ask on their forum and see what he says. I would gather that it would be safe since you are eliminating toxins that are already present in your pregnant body.... but always better to be sure ! Good luck!
#9 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 PM

Ooo...im going to give this a try!!!

Here I go!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#10 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 09:17 PM

Yup. First learned about it two years ago, but haven't been consistent with it that long. It has helped my teeth quite a bit. It has whitened my teeth slightly. I find it's helpful if a cold is coming on.
#11 of 23 Old 12-19-2007, 09:26 PM

I started earlier this month but stopped because I only had toasted sesame oil and olive oil is not something I even wanted to attempt doing this with (I've done too many liver flushes with evoo and lemon juice ).

I tried coconut oil but it was too thin.

I've gotten really white gunky looking stuff out everytime I've done it. And my teeth and gums felt wonderful after. I want to get the right oil and start doing it again as I think it helped my pg bleeding gums. 20 minutes of swishing can really make my masseter muscles hurt!!!
#12 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
I want to get the right oil and start doing it again
I made the mistake of buying really expensive sesame oil (organic unrefined stuff from the south of France... $11 a bottle). Turns out that when you are pulling the cheap stuff is better (not organic, etc). Apparently it does a better job at pulling the toxins that the real pure stuff.. go figure! I found a big bottle of the sesame for $3 (although it was hard to find... I finally found it at Whole Foods). Good luck!
#13 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 06:16 AM

I think I may try this next month. I have been on a fentanyl patch (currently 100mcg/hr!) for over 5 years, and must get off it (see my siggy, re serious case of wannahaveababyitis!) Right now, OP sounds revolting, but I'm sure when I'm in the throes of narcotic detox/withdrawal, I'll be just desperate enough to try it.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#14 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 03:23 PM

wow.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#15 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 04:32 PM

I read the article but felt that I needed a little more info about it before really "buying" it. In my search, I found this:
http://www.lisabarger.com/oil_pulling_debunked.html

While I'm not sure I believe all the body's toxins can be removed with oil-pulling, I'm not doubting the improvement in health using this technique. I believe rinsing with oil can significantly improve oral health. I also know that gum disease is associated with many different diseases and issues within the body such as pancreatic cancer, lung disease, heart disease, pre-term labor, low birth weight, etc. the list goes on.

So I guess I'm saying that I can see how it would work, however, I don't believe it works the way it is described in the original article.
#16 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_in_PA View Post
I read the article but felt that I needed a little more info about it before really "buying" it.
I wouldn't bet my life on it either, but the testimonials are hard to deny. I think that every body is different and no two people will react to the same thing in the same way. The body is too complex and each persons habits and needs are too diverse.

I am a "don't knock it until you try it" kind of gal. I would encourage people to read the testimonials on Earthclinic.com. It may not change your life but has for many people. I think your state of mind and expectations play a big role in it too. If you expect it will not work, then likely it will not. The power of the mind is greater than any medicine or treatment out there!

I'd love to hear more from people who have actually tried it. Any success stories?
#17 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 06:04 PM

I have sesame oil but cannot imagine the taste...its so strong! I barely use a drop of the stuff while cooking. Would Safflower oil be okay, or would it be too weak? ( cause i have a HUGE bottle of it! ) This sounds very interesting...I have some cavities right now and they are bothering me. I wonder if this oil pulling would help them heal.
#18 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_in_PA View Post
I read the article but felt that I needed a little more info about it before really "buying" it. In my search, I found this:
http://www.lisabarger.com/oil_pulling_debunked.html
Lisa writes, "Try as we may, we weren't able to turn up even a single study on oil pulling's detoxing actions in preparation for this article, which was published in February of 2007."

This is no surprise to me. Studies like that are very expensive and always funded by drug companies or other parties that have a special interest ($$$) in the outcomes (like the FDA).

She also writes, "Some oil pullers swear they only use refined oils; others claim only pure, unrefined oils will do. The problem is that each oil has unique chemical properties. Shouldn't there be a "best" oil if oil pulling was a legitimate detoxing practice?"

She references only one website (Oilpulling.com) as if it were the primary resource for info about oil pulling. Just because some guy paid $10 for a domain name and wants to share info on what he believes to be a good practice doesn't make him the universal expert on the topic. I suggest reading more about it and my favorite site is Earthclinic.com because it shares testimonials from hundreds of people around the world who swear by it. Also, it does give suggestions on the best type of oil to use.

She also writes, "Since writing the original oil pulling piece, I've received hundreds of (often profanity-filled) letters from pro-OPers. I'm not sure why oil pulling inspires such passionate responses but it has been interesting to see the various explanations for oil pulling change over the past several months."

I can understand why. It seems remarkable to me that she wants so much to disclaim something that has made such a positive impact on thouands of people's lives. Of course they are spewing profanity, since she is totally minimizing the impact it has had on their lives and discrediting and discouraging others from trying it without any studies of her own that she seems to think are the only way to prove that it works.

She claims that she has nothing to gain by writing against it (except the increased foot traffic to her site from the controversy and the money she makes from the hundreds of Google Ad clicks that make up most of her site...hmmmm).

She is also a self-proclaimed skeptic.... ewww!

Ok, getting off my soap box now and going to try and get a life!
#19 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Poot View Post
I have sesame oil but cannot imagine the taste...its so strong!
I am guessing you have toasted sesame oil (dark brown). Yes, it is very strong and I don't think it is best for pulling. I use regular sesame oil (not toasted) and it has a very mild flavor. I really thought it would be terrible to do, but not really bad at all. The hardest part for me is between 15 & 20 minutes since my mouth gets tired and the muscles sore!

I don't know about cavities... I'd read more on Earthclinic.com. I do remember a lot of testimonials about loose teeth becoming firmly planted back in place (and tooth whitening and breath, etc). I'd recommend reading more about the cavity issue. Good luck!!!
#20 of 23 Old 12-22-2008, 03:12 AM

Just subbing for now. I had just started oil pulling when I found out I was pregnant and it makes me ill presently, but I plan to when I can again.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#21 of 23 Old 12-22-2008, 03:20 AM

Doing what? I'd like to be educated!

babyf.gif

#22 of 23 Old 12-22-2008, 03:31 AM

why would a skeptic = eww? I think really considering all angles without the automatic "ooh/ahh factor" tends to be a sign of intelligence rather than going with a pack.

You seem to really be pushing that one site OP - are you getting anything for posting about it here?

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#23 of 23 Old 12-22-2008, 04:17 AM

This seems interesting and something I'd be willing to try. I'll have to sub so I can remember!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page