Help. Chickenpox exposure - questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-30-2007, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

Well, we may have had chickenpox exposure. My children were playing with a little boy on Thurs evening for about 10 minutes or so and on Friday morning he broke out with chickenpox. How likely is it that my children were really exposed? Do I just need to wait and see? Is it really usually a 10 day incubation period?

I am not worried about my boys getting it, just wondering so that I don't inadvertently expose my friends whose children have not had it yet and are not interested in natural immunity, etc.

For what it is worth, his little sister and he both have it, she just showed up with spots about 10 hours before he did. She had the first vaccine and he had both the first one and the booster for school. I think it is interesting that they both got it even though the shot was supposed to prevent it..........LOL

Thanks for your help/advice
#2 of 7 Old 12-30-2007, 01:54 AM

If I were you I honestly wouldnt worry about it. If and when your kiddos wind up with CP, you can keep them quarantined but not before. IIRC, it's 10-14 day incubation....

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#3 of 7 Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 PM

Do you mean that it is not contagious before you can tell they have it? I thought it was contagious before the spots showed up but we've gotten some conflicting information on that so now I'm not sure.

As it happens my DS was also (probably) exposed on Thursday. He sat next to my nephew at a restaurant and they played together a bit there and the next day DN had the cpox. It wouldn't be a bad time for my DS to get them, but I have at least another week or two before we'll know.
#4 of 7 Old 12-30-2007, 04:09 PM

It's contagious from a few days before spots show until the spots have scabbed over. Incubation can take up to 21 days (and it did take that long from ds2 to dd- I thought we somehow missed it). I wouldn't keep them quarantined 'just because, maybe', however.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#5 of 7 Old 12-31-2007, 11:25 AM

Hi there.

I intentionally exposed my crew in early December, and the second "wave" has just hit our house. The person we got them from also had the vaccine. She got it less than a year ago, when they told her it was required for college. Her younger sister caught wild chickenpox, and her mom figured she was "protected" and so they spent lots of time together. It seems the vaccine is not as effective as all that after all.

The incubation period for chickenpox is 7-21 days, with 10-14 days being the most common time for spots to break out. They are most contagious the day before spots break out, and the next few days after.

I did not quarantine or restrict my children's activities until about 10-12 days after exposure, and on day 13 the oldest had a fever and loss of appetite. The first spots showed up that evening and he was covered in pox by the next day.

Exactly twelve days after him, the next 3 all had a fever and loss of appetite. That was Saturday, and today we have no plans except to do plenty of lukewarm oatmeal baths.

DH has to work today, but he's off tomorrow. I'm hoping by the next day after that we will be past the worst of it.
#6 of 7 Old 12-31-2007, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Having just reread the "Chickenpox Party" article in a past issue.

Incubation period runs 12-21 days. In DD's case, on day 14 post-exposure, the pox showed up.

They're contagious 1-2 days before the pox show, so with that range of incubation time, I honestly don't see how we can get around some inadvertant exposures and still live life. I planned to keep DD home starting the day after hers ended up showing. Oh well.

She's having a difficult time with the itching, finding that showers are the only thing that really help. So much for the Aveeno stash or baking soda. I did try baking soda paste on her, but that stings.

The ped's office suggested a dose of Benedryl for the itch. She had that almost an hour and a half ago, can't say it's helped--if her hysterics are any indication. She might've just fallen asleep on the couch, maybe it helped after all, though not quite the way I'd had in mind. oy...

Good thing this is a short-lived problem. Hopefully only 2 days more of active poxing.

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 7 Old 05-23-2014, 07:04 AM

I'm so sorry to hijack this thread but I also have questions about exposing my kids to CP and I can't find how to start a new thread (maybe you can't do it from your phone?). Anyways, here is my question:
I am not so concerned about my kids because they are in excellent health with no chronic conditions, always do well with illnesses, etc. I am worried about myself. I had chickenpox when I was 14 and did fine with them. Who's to say whether that was wild-strain or vaccine-strain... What if I expose my family to whatever strain I was not exposed to? Can I get chickenpox again? How different are these strains from one another? I have seen some talk about vaccine-strain offering protection from wild-strain, but what about the other way around? I guess I am afraid because, with the introduction of vaccines, Nature tends to get a bit screwed up and I'm not sure how predictable this all is. I have asthma, by the way, and my worst fear is not being able to breathe well. I have heard about some severe cases of chickenpox (as in adults) in which the respiratory system was attacked as well. Thank you for any insight you may have!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page